Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Topgear Bypass Pipe fitted - Videos - Much difference?

squelch

Imola
So, I've now fitted the Topgear bypass pipe. When I removed the centre silencer I couldn't help noticing how light it is (about 6.5kg) and I wondered how much actual silencing it really did and if the bypass pipe would make much difference. While it was an interesting exercise and I'm pleased I now have all stainless steel fittings, I'm not sure it's really made much difference. I'd say it's slightly more noticeable "in real life" than on the videos, and it has a bit more of a throaty growl to it and even more under load.

Now that all the hard work of removing the old fittings is done I reckon I could put back to standard in about 30 minutes or so.

Here's a couple of yoochoob videos of cold starts with standard exhaust (valves open at 0:30) and with the bypass pipe fitted (valves open at 0:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGqCgcVO6YI&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfIBKtp5VM

Quite noticable to me mate especially once the revs drop a bit in the second half sounds deeper more aggresive and louder to my ears anyway. :thumb: :thumb:

Interesting comment about the weight. As you have PSE you'd never swap out the whole exhaust, but as I had the standard exhaust I went down the path of replacing it all. Once I got the old system off, I was shocked at the weight difference. The whole Tubi system seemed to weigh the same as one side can off the original system. Rather surprising really.
Your car sounds great IMO. I'm sure that if you were following your car it would sound better than from in the cabin. On the handful of occasions Mrs P uses the 911, I'm surprised by the noise as she drives off. In my book a cheap reversible mod that's improved your car for sure :thumb:

Thanks for the positive comments :thumb: Maybe I'm being a bit hypercritical. It is growing on me and sounds great under load.

(I suppose it doesn't help that my mate's got a couple of GT3's that sound like God gargling with gravel) :floor:

sounds awesome, I am also looking at exhaust options on my 997.2 C2..

but getting the PSE installed is not cheap at all! :roll:

Obviously is something you had standard on the GTS

Friend of mine have done a gundo hack on a 993 at Hayward and Scott recently, here is a video for those that are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDSWScRgYl4&t=48s

I am still considering getting it done myself..

I'm wondering if the OPs centre silencer had already been stealth-modded, as mine seemed to weigh a ton compared to a couple of cross pipes from H&S and the noise was at another level...

MaxA said:
I'm wondering if the OPs centre silencer had already been stealth-modded, as mine seemed to weigh a ton compared to a couple of cross pipes from H&S and the noise was at another level...
No evidence of it being tampered with. It's a GTS model if that makes a difference or possibly your Finnish spec has different noise regs etc..?? :dont know:

squelch said:
MaxA said:
No evidence of it being tampered with. It's a GTS model if that makes a difference or possibly your Finnish spec has different noise regs etc..?? :dont know:

Maybe the GTS had a lightweight back box? We have no special noise regs over here. Trackdays at Ahvenisto are limited to 92db@1m as I recall as it's inside city limits.

If you need more noise, then I suppose you need to look at sports cats. But I find mine to be loud enough with the H&S, and occasionally it's a bit embarassing... :wack:

That being said, I might still pop home a slightly longer way round, into a little tunnel, drop the windows and nail it in second :grin:

squelch said:
Thanks for the positive comments :thumb: Maybe I'm being a bit hypercritical. It is growing on me and sounds great under load.

(I suppose it doesn't help that my mate's got a couple of GT3's that sound like God gargling with gravel) :floor:

Mate if you find after a while you really want a bit more god gargling then the next step would be to fit the gen2 header 200cell cats unit so still retaining the PSE boxes this would add BHP as well wouldnt need a remap and would change the sound up considerably :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back