Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ABS

win32

Trainee
Hi All,

Hope everyone is well.

I have a 2001 - 996 C2 Manual, all works fine until i press the break button. As soon as i do so, the ABS & Traction control bulbs lights up on the dashboard.
When i switch off the engine, the lights are turned off and back on as soon as i press the break paddel again.

Till now I changed the ABS sensor from the ABS module and restarted the ecu. I also unpluged the battrey for 2 whole days but still same. When checed again with the programm it is still
pointing out that the ABS sensor is not working properly.

What do you think this could be ? :?:

Faulty brake light switch on your pedal. Very common fault.

If you have a code reader then use that and you should have a fault code which will say what the problem is ..

If not then a quick fault code read out at a garage is in order .. either way you will get a fault code which will tell you the problem .

There are x4 abs sensors which from memory are checked by the system with ignition on therefore a brake pedal switch is an obvious possibility ..

But im still back to getting a fault code check .. i hate throwing parts at something when there is an obvious check to prove it first .

Disconnecting a battery cures pretty much nothing im afraid , most fault codes are stored in a semi permanent memory and several systems will shut down until that code is erased with a tester .... airbags being a common one .

Generic fault code readers won't read Porsche ABS issues. They'll only do engine codes. You need to read it with a durametric or PIWIS or the likes.

Touching the brake pedal and triggering the psm/abs lights sounds 99% brake switch issue to me :dont know:

Good luck with fixing this, have the same problem with my daily Audi TT and it is proving a nightmare to fix.

Sorry no hope OP but have also told it is often the brake switch.

If it doesn't come on when the wheels are in motion then the monitoring system and the sensors are all fine. If it comes on as soon as the pedal is pressed then the brake system has to get a signal the pedal has been pressed from the pedal switch. If it see the brake system being used but no signal from pedal, this'll chuck up a fault and trip the system........that's my understanding and previous experience with ABS systems.

Does the pedal trip the system if you press it without even moving, once you start the car? :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back