Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2CS vs 997.7TTS

Graemep

Nurburgring
Thanks to my neighbour and her Insurance company, I was given an opportunity to spend some time with a 991.2 C2S as a temporary replacement for my 997.2 Turbo S - which ended up being the best part of four weeks due to the waiting time for a slot at SL Restorations. Near enough 2k miles later it was picked up today, so some thoughts/comparisons.

When it was dropped off, the driver mentioned he thought there wasn't as much in it in terms of performance these days, and it turned out to be an interesting comparison.

I'd driven a 991.1 C2, so expected it would feel a bigger car to drive than a 997 and it still felt that way, but the proximity sensors (optional?) made the size an easy adjustment - but still something I was conscious of, even though the extra space for bags was welcome. Having done a few Euro trips in 997's the extra space is something I could live with. However, on a blast down one of my favourite roads the extra size over a 997 was noticeable, despite being a great car for the road..

The one thing I noticed pretty quickly was the character of the engine, and some of the tricks it has for economy. The 3.0T is good, but the power delivery in normal mode is very linear compared to what I'm used to with the 997.2 TTS, much more geared towards normal day-to-day driving. Throw in the stop/start and lift/coast, economy was certainly improved and I saw 30-31mpg on motorway trips - sports mode was more like what I am used to.

Throw some subtle changes into the behaviour of the PDK box, with some tendency to coast to a stop and roll, it was almost behaving like a manual..

In some ways, it's a very easy car to live with - new PCM, speed alerts (option), hill-hold, although I'm not a massive fan of the raised centre console, and I like an old-fashioned handbrake not an electronic one. I found I'd become so used to the electric steering that my own car was feeling heavy at low speeds when I took it out at lunchtime.

After seeing it go, I honestly think I will miss the 991.2, as it is certainly easy to live with, good for a blast, felt plenty fast enough, and for 90-95% of the time I wouldn't miss the extra performance of my own car.

Would I change in the near future, probably not, but somewhere down the line I see a 991.2 GTS of some description being a very good candidate to replace the 997TTS, and I don't know if I could now justify the cost of a Turbo over something like a GTS now..All due respect to the 991.2, and as good as it is, it's not tempted me enough to consider a swap..

The mileage I'd covered showed in the layer of dirt on the car when it went back - it would have had a was if I'd had it over the weekend. I'd also give a nod to SL Restoration for the work on my own car - bumper shell, grill surround, fog-light assembly, and paintwork on the wing - all done as scheduled, and returned gleaming..

And what's a thread like this without a couple of photos..

Attachments

• 20180420_103750_515.jpg
    20180420_103750_515.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 4,934
  • 20180420_103943_564.jpg
    20180420_103943_564.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 4,934
Cheers Graeme, Interesting reading. :thumb:

The 'cost to change' doesn't add up for me .... yet... but I can still see me in a 991 4S one day. It would have to be a NA car for me though. A 911 turbo is a 911 turbo. A Carrera just isn't. :)

Sorry but against the stunning 997 turbo the 991 is an ugly duckling, just saying :bandit:

I don't think any 991 can be called ugly?..They are big in the flesh but I used to think that about the 996/997 and they look positively petite these days.Things move on and a 911 is a 911 :thumbs:

On spec apparently the 991 is smaller than the 997...im sure I saw a comparison somewhere....

My best mate has a 991 4S pdk lovely motor! We have put our cars side by side and we both think they look stunning and obviously we both prefer our own car. I've driven it a few times and I love the PDK but that's it really! It confirmed my thoughts that a 997.2 Turbo is my next move, that said I feel very lucky to have mine.

Op love your car I'm jealous of your centre locks

:thumb:

angry said:
On spec apparently the 991 is smaller than the 997...im sure I saw a comparison somewhere....

It's not and certainly feels bigger when you jump in one from a 997.

Interesting reading Graeme. If I stay with Porsche after this car it'll likely be a 991.2 of some description. Such is the progress.

Will your car be fit for tomorrow then? :?:

looks like the turbo has grown a little (997 -> 991) , but I guess its not the size (which is quite small) but what you do with it :oops: - which makes the 991 seem so much bigger .

Great web site (see watermark) could spend hours with it.

Attachments

• porsche_turbo_size_increase_122.png
    porsche_turbo_size_increase_122.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 4,725
T8 said:
The 'cost to change' doesn't add up for me .... yet... but I can still see me in a 991 4S one day. It would have to be a NA car for me though. A 911 turbo is a 911 turbo. A Carrera just isn't. :)

I did look at the figures if I did want to swap, and depending on model a 991.2 may be cost neutral at worst, but (and it's probably a big one) going from a Turbo to a Carrera means going back onto the usual depreciation curve for those models - the GTS seems to hold value better.

I'd had a 991.1 C2 as a courtesy car a few years ago and enjoyed that - on a road that's become the one I use for comparison (between Chepstow and Usk), it was a great car to push to get the best out of. However, the 3.0T seems to be a necessity when there is a focus on emissions, and might even be the easier engine to live with on a daily basis.

The only thing for me is the 991 is noticeably bigger, and you do feel it on a A or B road.

Graemep said:
..........The only thing for me is the 991 is noticeably bigger, and you do feel it on a A or B road.

I know what you mean about the 997 feeling smaller and more nimble but it's an illusion as the 991 Carrera is not 'noticeably bigger'. It just feels that way because of how much more space there is inside the car and that it has that large centre console.

Externally the 991 Carrera is 41mm longer than a 997 turbo and even the wide bodied C4 version is only the same width.

T8 said:
Graemep said:
..........The only thing for me is the 991 is noticeably bigger, and you do feel it on a A or B road.

I know what you mean about the 997 feeling smaller and more nimble but it's an illusion as the 991 Carrera is not 'noticeably bigger'. It just feels that way because of how much more space there is inside the car and that it has that large centre console.

Externally the 991 Carrera is 41mm longer than a 997 turbo and even the wide bodied C4 version is only the same width.

Its also the design of the R send. On anything other than a 991 GTS/Turbo or GT car only a mother could love it.... (campared with the lines of a 997)

New997buyer said:
Will your car be fit for tomorrow then? :?:

Both photos were taken yesterday.. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back