Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted: 997 GT2 Manual Gearbox

What are the differences between the Turbo and GT2 gearbox?

Its got stronger internals, different ratios and some extra cooling bits on the casing.

Chances of getting one vs buying a winning lottery card?

.......I'd buy the card.

Probably cheaper to buy a Turbo Box and have it strengthened/modified.

C.

Have your own GT2 box stripped and rebuilt. Forget buying a scrap one - they were scarce cars and they still are scarce cars. Or have you completely trashed your GT2 box?

A new one might still be available from Porsche - you'd need to ask. I reckon it will be expensive but no idea how much.

I am having my 996 turbo box modified to add the external pump and spray bar, as well as strengthened internals, 2 piece mainshaft and straight cut gears. It will still have the power take-off to the front which won't be needed as I will be running RWD but the extra strength will be there.

I don't know if it is of any use or not but I have a standard 996 turbo gearbox in perfect condition off a 35k mile car.

MC

Why do you need it :dont know:

For a GT2 or are you making a GT2... :food:

:thumb:

sim996 said:
8 replies, not 1 gearbox offered. Blimmin Eck.

9 now.

Do you really think that GT2 gearboxes are just sat around in peoples sheds?

;)

sim996 said:
8 replies, not 1 gearbox offered. Blimmin Eck.

It's a bit of a unicorn part so not a surprise :wink:

Plus it's only been 11 hours since you first posted, people don't live on the forum all day...well, most of them don't :grin:

Try Rennlist or a few Indy's like 9e/Fearnsport/ect or even ES Motors and the like :dont know:

:thumb:

You've got more chance of taking a $hit in the queens handbag than you have of finding someone on here with a GT2 gearbox they don't want.

But then you know that because you've tried to find one and can't, hence the post.

Not sure why its such a surprise then that people aren't falling over each other to sell you one :dont know:

Even M'learned HSC911 hasn't got one for you, and he has a collection of bits so rare that it would make your eyes water if you tried to buy them! :eek:

MisterCorn said:
I am having my 996 turbo box modified to add the external pump and spray bar, as well as strengthened internals, 2 piece mainshaft and straight cut gears. It will still have the power take-off to the front which won't be needed as I will be running RWD but the extra strength will be there.

I don't know if it is of any use or not but I have a standard 996 turbo gearbox in perfect condition off a 35k mile car.

MC

I dont know the differences between a GT2 box and a 99X Turbo box. But if the OP has a GT2, it is going to be better to have his box rebuilt. He might like to give Mike a call at Sports & Classic - he's the only guy I can think of that might know the differences and if a 99X box will work / can be made to work instead of a GT2 box.

cheshire911 said:
he's the only guy I can think of that might know the differences and if a 99X box will work / can be made to work instead of a GT2 box.

I'm pretty sure Nine Excellence and other well known indies would know their differences too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back