Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Painting diamond cut 997 turbo wheels

Roysk

Very disappointed in corrosion on diamond cut 997 turbo wheels a little over one year after refurb. Now thinking of having them painted. Any ideas for best colour to get as close as possible to diamond cut or photos of gunmetal/grey wheels on black car? Thanks, any advice welcome.

Roysk said:
Very disappointed in corrosion on diamond cut 997 turbo wheels a little over one year after refurb. Now thinking of having them painted. Any ideas for best colour to get as close as possible to diamond cut or photos of gunmetal/grey wheels on black car? Thanks, any advice welcome.

Thought about going all black :dont know:

Stealth mode!!!
darth.gif

:thumb:

Im planning on doing exactly the same to mine as my wheels get ruined using the car every day. I did consider black but think its a bit too much on a black car. Also with black wheels you cant really appreciate the style of the wheel as much.

Im probably going to go gunmetal grey over normal alloy wheel silver as I think it would look better against the black car. I may have to do some photoshopping and see how it looks first though!

Here`s a painted set

Attachments

• slate_tt_6_250.jpg
    slate_tt_6_250.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 15,397
Mine are anthersite and were flashed with chrome /silver on the face only to give a bit of a shine and add depth. these arent turbo wheels but you can see the colour

Attachments

• 28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_472.jpg
    28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_472.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 15,366
  • img_3817_709.jpg
    img_3817_709.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 15,366
  • img_2466_170.jpg
    img_2466_170.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 15,366
Have to say Phil - they are great looking wheels and spoiler.....

I had mine done in Dark Anthracite and, as I never liked the bling effect of the original wheels, I had the polished part sprayed with a dark satin lacquer.

My job was overseen by Exel Wheels and apart from a couple of stone chips they're fine 2.5 years later.

T8 said:
I had mine done in Dark Anthracite and, as I never liked the bling effect of the original wheels, I had the polished part sprayed with a dark satin lacquer.

My job was overseen by Exel Wheels and apart from a couple of stone chips they're fine 2.5 years later.

Roysk said:

I bought mine with the wheels having just been painted black. Immediately I looked to get mine back to the original colour. However having experienced the diamond cutting issue, oooh we don't do it mate, can't guarantee the finish etc etc, I've ended up sticking with mine. Have to say they've grown on me. I'm approaching my porscheavisary (one year ownership) and considering changing again. So here's a in black for you to consider.

Attachments

• a1174ab4_ce21_4b89_82cf_cb28013d08fe_687.jpeg
    a1174ab4_ce21_4b89_82cf_cb28013d08fe_687.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15,262
T8 said:

Really like this.. I would have done this if I'd kept my wheels.

Not long had my Carrera sports painted in the Porsche GT3 matte finish inc the diamond cut lip.

Kingb4 said:
Have to say Phil - they are great looking wheels and spoiler.....

thank you :thumb: :thumb:

Sorry to hear about this. I'm assuming they were not done by me otherwise you'd have contacted me. Its really sad to hear when people have this happen, very much avoidable especially on high quality forged wheels like the 997 Turbo.

I'd not like this thread to put anyone off having theirs done and to add to T8's comments and as 'SGH' on here will confirm we just have done a set for him that we first did in March 2011, so 7 years and really there was very little corrosion and it was all caused by clumsy mechanics chipping the lacquer around the bolt holes!!! Grr.

Really I struggle to suggest a decent alternative as in paint all over that actually looks ok. We've done them in various colours, mainly black but they kind of lose the design a bit. I would probably suggest going to a nice satin finish instead of gloss (as one of the above posts which actually isnt GT3 colour). Satin or matte will emphasise the design, as T8's have a technical look. I find gloss makes them look a bit blobby and cheaper.

HTH

My research led me to believe that Porsche seidenmatt was a GT3 wheel colour?
I've certainly seen it on enough GT cars.

KJD said:
My research led me to believe that Porsche seidenmatt was a GT3 wheel colour?
I've certainly seen it on enough GT cars.

Commonly known as Platinum Satin which unless my eyes have gone mad or it's a trick of light, yours are not that colour?! It's darker and has a bronze hue. Yours look far too light.

Lobsters with silver rim:
https://www.facebook.com/EXELWHEELS/videos/1599029160136143/

Carrera Sports:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154638236371678&set=o.148432615195812&type=3

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back