Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Aston Martin Vantage

Does the new AM Vantage cut the mustard and become a viable alternative to a 911 ?

• Yes, finally a Vantage which I would want before a 911

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not really there yet

• Possibly, once back-to-back comparisons can be made

• Total voters
Having owned an AM immaterial of how pretty they are , they are a long way off the reliability and sturdeness of a 911 , I found it to be far more Italian in its usability. Not sure I would go back there after experiencing the total usability of a 911.

An essential thing about the 911 for me has always been the 2+2 seating in a proper sports car shape.

Only Lotus seem to have gathered that with the Evora.

I'm oot.

I considered an AM prior to my 911 purchase because they are beautiful looking cars. However, I had concerns about reliability and overall quality of the product. I see a few on a regular basis and they all have corroded door mirror stems and wheels. It made me question about the quality of unseen items.

I also subsequently spoke to someone 'in the know" who said that AM were aware of potential corrosion issues but selected the cheaper manufacturing method/metal because they felt an AM buyer should be able to afford replacements as and when. I guess there might also have been budget issues for AM at the time to. That not withstanding it clearly wasn't designed to be a daily.

I like the look of the new Vantage but for me it has three problems:
1) Mercedes engine
2) Auto only
3) Two seater
4) Turbo charged
5) Price point

Actually I have 5 problems :D

Despite all that I still have a hankering but it would need to be V12 and manual. Trouble is the price has gone the way of Porsche GT products..

Cameo said:
I considered an AM prior to my 911 purchase because they are beautiful looking cars. However, I had concerns about reliability and overall quality of the product. I see a few on a regular basis and they all have corroded door mirror stems and wheels. It made me question about the quality of unseen items.

I also subsequently spoke to someone 'in the know" who said that AM were aware of potential corrosion issues but selected the cheaper manufacturing method/metal because they felt an AM buyer should be able to afford replacements as and when. I guess there might also have been budget issues for AM at the time to. That not withstanding it clearly wasn't designed to be a daily.

1) Mercedes engine
2) Auto only
3) Two seater
4) Turbo charged
5) Price point

Actually I have 5 problems :D

Despite all that I still have a hankering but it would need to be V12 and manual. Trouble is the price has gone the way of Porsche GT products..

You can buy my DB9 if you like, it doesn't have any of those 5 problems.
I must admit those issues do spoil it for me too.

MC

Cameo said:
1) Mercedes engine

Have you driven a Mercedes with that engine? It is one hell of a powerplant. Frankly it knocks the turbo flat six into a cocked hat for charisma.

Robertb said:
Cameo said:
1) Mercedes engine

Have you driven a Mercedes with that engine? It is one hell of a powerplant. Frankly it knocks the turbo flat six into a cocked hat for charisma.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I've no doubt it's great (and all the reviews say it is) but if I was buying an Aston Martin, and paying for that privilege, I'd want an Aston Martin power plant.

Whether it's more 'charismatic" is a subjective matter :wink:

Cameo said:
Robertb said:
Cameo said:
1) Mercedes engine

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I've no doubt it's great (and all the reviews say it is) but if I was buying an Aston Martin, and paying for that privilege, I'd want an Aston Martin power plant.

Whether it's more 'charismatic" is a subjective matter :wink:

Fair point. I had my mind comprehensively blown by a go in an AMG GT-S! I'd imagine that the engine has been reworked for Aston, much as the JLR V8 was before, I'm sure it would feel special... gets good reviews in the DB11.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back