Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rev counter issues

Thomp1983

Silverstone
https://imgur.com/gallery/XFxOy

Been out today for about 2 hours when my rev counter started behaving erratically. I noticed it was sticking when dropping revs then instead of sweeping forward and back smoothly it started to behave like the second hand on a watch slowly ticking round the dial, this has continued and it is now operating erratically between the 6k section and where the speed is displayed below the dial as shown in the picture

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? The car is running fine still.

Chris

infrasilver said:
or the dial isn't reading the impulse of the sensors correctly.

Yeah that. The true digital reading on the HVAC will tell you if it's sensor or dial issue.

Thanks for the quick responses, I'd intended to use my odb reader to check the actual revs I forgot you can use the HVAC controls I've used them to monitor temperature before.

I'm not sure it is a loose needle although I'd be happy for it to be I suspect something's broken down on the PCB or ribbon cable and replacement units are not cheap at all, wonder if I could swap a boxster tachometer in plenty of those for more sensible money.

Typically I'm using it for my wedding this weekend.

Cheers
Chris

I might be wrong but before you jump of a bridge :sad:

I am sure there is a stepper motor behind the speedo and rev dial certainly in golf's MK3 1997 an erratic or unresponsive dial this is something to check in VW's it isnt a big deal to replace,you just have to get the stepper motor, if it is a bit more terminal I would always ask BBAreman.
I know it is porsche but I have resoldered together my dash in my golf due to dry joints and it was straightforward

good luck

Had a quick look at this earlier, when i got in the car this afternoon after it had stood overnight and switched the ignition on the rev counter needle reset itself to the proper zero position, I then ran the car for a few minutes and it was fine then started to creep around the gauge again.

I connected my obd code reader and monitoring the rpm the car sits at the correct idle but the odb read out is also jerky when pressing the throttle which I don't think is right, I'll check it's response to swmbo's mini at some point for comparison at some point as I haven't used it for awhile.

How does a 996 get it's rpm information, is there a rpm sensor or is it just taken ofd the crankshaft sensor signal?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back