Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ABS/PSM fault

Teg

Trainee
Hi All,

I have an intermittent fault with the ABS and PSM which brings up two yellow warning lights in n the dash and turns these systems off. The car is a 2003 996 Turbo.

The fault occurs usually as I go over a bumpy surface in the road.

I was at a track day on Friday and Wilst out on track running hot tyre pressures front 30 and rear 32 the fault did not happen and these systems would work when required.

Back on road and presures cold front 36 rear 44 the fault is back and more regular.

Would appreciate your thoughts if anyone else has experienced something like this?

Thanks

Ben

Probably a wheel speed sensor starting to fail.

Without a fault code reader you'll just be playing a guessing game. I had an intermittent abs/psm fault, read the codes and it turned out to be a brake light switch. 15 quid - sorted.

Magic919 said:
Probably a wheel speed sensor starting to fail.

+1

Have you noticed which corner seems to activate it. EG. do you hit a pothole with your front right wheel and it come on?

I had a reluctor ring fail on me on the back left hand side. Easily diagnosed cos it kept putting the right hand rear brake on whilst driving.

Might be worth just having a look at the rings on all 4 corners and cleaning them up with a wire brush.

In my case is was front right, usually after hitting a bump.
Error was 'Front Right wheel sensor implausible' (or words to that effect).
It would normally clear with ignition off/on.

My indy changed the wheel sensor but it continued so I fitted a wiring loom repair kit (99661295800 £83 at Bell & Colvill), fed it back up into the body beside the battery. All fixed now.
The loom replaces the socket, mounted on the wheel carrier into which the abs sensor and pad wear indicators plug.

Front loom failure must be fairly common since there is a repair kit.

Teg said:
Hi All,

I have an intermittent fault with the ABS and PSM which brings up two yellow warning lights in n the dash and turns these systems off. The car is a 2003 996 Turbo.

The fault occurs usually as I go over a bumpy surface in the road.

I was at a track day on Friday and Wilst out on track running hot tyre pressures front 30 and rear 32 the fault did not happen and these systems would work when required.

Back on road and presures cold front 36 rear 44 the fault is back and more regular.

Would appreciate your thoughts if anyone else has experienced something like this?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben, I have encountered a similar problem albeit on the road. Mine was traced to a sticky brake light switch, which caused an intermittent fault. When it says both systems are off it really means it too!

As an aside, 30 and 32 hot?!! :eek: What tyres are you running? Mine has PS2s and it runs at 36/44 hot, which is around 28/34 cold. Feels really good at that, however I only track my car once a year on average, so this may be track specific.

Thanks for your experience all. Sounds like first I need to get the errors read see if I can narrow down the fault. Anybody got a fault code reader in Surrey Hampshire who wouldn't mind taking a look?

@dynomike
Just running Pirreli P Zero road tyres. I had been running it 36/44 hot but found it struggled putting the power down exiting corners. Was speaking to one of the instructors who has a 997 GT3 RS who recommend 30/32. So I gave it ago and felt it helped and gave me more confidence in the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back