Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S v 997 C4S

Flozzer

Hi All,

I would appreciate some advice and views of whether to go for a 996 C4S or a 997 C4S.

In my opinion they are both very pleasing on the eye but I know a lot of you out there will probably have driven both, so please could you help me out with some words of wisdom !

:?:

996 C4S is very unique and distinctive looking compared to the 997 version and would be classed as the next classic 911. The 997 is quicker butter higher risk of bore scoring unless you get a gen 2.

If you want to make money, buy a 996 C4S.

996 4S looks more cool on the outside (cause it's older), 997 4S looks better on the inside (cause it's younger).

In all guises the 997 is an evolution of the 996. Many prefer the more unique look of the 996 to the more traditional 997.

The 996C4S is one of the few that seems to get widespread acclaim from fans of both and has really become a modern classic.

To drive they are very similar and I doubt you'd notice the extra bhp of the later car very often.

If you like the looks of both the only way to decide is to drive them yourself.

Have fun :thumb:

what is it you like about the C4S as they are quite different to drive than the C2S which with its RWD is a more liniar sports car feel , but the C4S will stick to a bend in an amazing way and the wide body is nice. the tech on a 997.1 is newer but still dated the 996 has a bit more of a focused driver feel to it due to the lack of tech aids they are both lovely cars.both have lots of aftermarket upgrades avail to modernise them.
As Alex says 5% of gen2 996 and gen1 997 seem to suffer with borescore so whatever you buy a PPI and borescope £300ish is a must .
My money would go on a hartech full 6 liner rebuilt 997.1 C4S which is going to be circa 30k ish , if the budget doesnt stretch to that then find a good car that checks out properly and a better quality checked out 996 will be a better option than a leggy just fitted in the budget 997 .
a bit more info like needs , wants and budget and we can probably help a bit more.
PS if you find a nice one your interested in pic a couple of members you think can help and PM them for advise ,Dont post it on the open forum as Lurkers who see possitive things said will move on it before you can. :thumb: :thumb:

As I see it, the 996 4S is a 'turbo bodied' car in the same vein as the 993 S/4S, 964 anniversary and 3.2 Supersport. It is very much a 996 Turbo without the, erm, Turbo (and Mezger) but without the air intakes in the rear wing, and with the full width red reflector. The style and suspension settings make it a quite different car to the rest of the line up.

A 997 4S is a wider bodied 4wd 997 2S, or to put it another way, a 3.8L C4.

The 997 4S will have active suspension and a number of other modern creature comforts.

The 997.2 4S had a thinner red reflector which looks good.

Have a drive of both and let us know what you think!

I don't share the fascination with the 996 C4S. It looks good, but they are getting old now and are quite dated inside. The AWD system is too basic to be useful and just dulls the feel at the front end.

I moved to 997.2 C4S and it's a nice car. The extra grunt is quite noticeable and I quite like the PDK. Like most updates it adds to the creature comforts and kills a bit of NVH. You can feel a bit detached at first, but that feeling seems to pass.

I went for the 997 over the 996. I did look at both but couldn't get on with the front end look of the 996 - the headlights. There was little else to it other than I wanted a wider bodied variant, liked the 4x4 concept and wanted to keep the 911 lines without any aero.

Each to their own as they say and my decision was based on nothing more than the above (so not really much help to you I'm afraid). That said, it would have been nice if they'd kept the red reflector on the 997.1 though..............

Good luck with whichever one you decide on. :thumbs:

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

I currently have a 1998 Carrera and am either thinking of putting some money into it to do some jobs that I have put off and to bring it to a nice level.
My other option is to try and source a nice C4S, as at the time I bought the Carrera my budget wouldn't quite stretch to get this particular model.

As I have never driven one, my fascination is down to the look, I just love the look of the 'Widebody" ! :)

C4s

As other people have said it's about your budget aswell
I looked/drove both 2 years ago,and for me the 997 was the one.the 996 was to dated and the bore scoring issue can happened to both at any time.even if you have it checked and it's ok a month later it could happen,plus bore scoring won't just make your engine blow up it's a long progressive problem.

Attachments

• img_0203_534.jpg
    img_0203_534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,146
Hi,

I'll start of by saying if I could afford a 964 RS id probably have one over a newer gen car... I just like the feeling of no electrics, me, the throttle, steering wheel, some decent tyres and of course Porsche quality brakes!!

Last summer I drove both 997 C4s and 996 C4s. My budget was £25-30k for a finished car that I would use daily.

In a nutshell I found the 997 lighter and easier to drive compared to the 996. It felt, looked and "smelt" like a modern car. The 996 felt similar but more of an old school 911 experience. It looks, "smells" and feels more retro.

In terms of responsiveness the gear change of the 997 felt a bit more flickable compared to the 996 that needs a bit more care... The engines feel identical but the handling very different. 996 feels less dampened and more direct to me. The 997 absorbs the road better but feels a bit more numb, still brilliant but not as direct compared to the 996. The steering of the 996 feels more alive and connected to the road compared to the 997 in my brief experienced based on a 30 min drive over mixed roads at various speeds. The 997 felt a bit quicker.

Remember both cars a getting on a bit now. The 997 and 996's I drove were both standard cars with no mods. Both had about 50-70k miles and the 06 997 benefited from a new engine... After doing the comparison and reading about the pro's and cons of both I went for the 996 C4s as it just felt a bit more special.

Maybe it's the 996 C4s rear end... or it's flared arches when compared to standard cars... maybe it's knowing that it's gathering a bit of a cult following and respect/recommendation amongst the indies, but most of all it's just the way it rewards you the harder you drive it... it's a focussed and sensitive car full of feel and sensation that I absolutely love to bits and would highly recommend over the early 997. It's a dying breed of modern classic that you can still use everyday that isn't too expensive to buy.. yet!

If your budget can stretch to a Gen 2 997 GTS then id imagine that will have that bit of extra sparkle over the rest of the 997 range like the 996 C4s has over its range...

Just my 2p's worth, hope it helps!!

Good Luck
BK
:thumb:

BK911, that's a great appraisal of the two models. My 996 turbo rewards in much the same fashion you have described above, namely, steering feel and driving reward. The 996 chassis is a great one, track-to-wheelbase etc is spot on.

Many I have spoken to have mentioned that the driving experience is slightly dulled in the 997, though that model still remains a good car.

And the interior on the 996 is a nicer place to be, not too many buttons and silver plastics :grin:

Flak jacket on boys!!

Couldn't agree more with BK911 and DynoMike.

Unique 996 exterior, the best rear end of any modern 911, a more involved drive and a classy cabin make it an easy choice for me.

The (basically facelifted) 997 almost looks like any other 911 (no bad thing), has a mondeo interior and slightly more detached driving experience.

Neither is a bad choice, both superb cars. One is slightly more superb than the other though.... :thumb:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

997 for me...... :hand: nah only joking... The 996 C4S is a unique modern classic 911. .. The 997 c4s is for now.. just a old 911 with BMW mini headlamps... :lol:

Joking apart they are both great cars... I doubt either will disappoint

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back