Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre Pressures

Mr 911

Hi friends......

I could do with some advice please

Went out for a drive today and noticed my front N/S tyre looked almost flat

On checking the pressure, it was 11psi as oppose to circa 33psi

However, I haven't driven the car very much at all over the last few months (since Xmas) and haven't even done 150
miles in her

Given the lack of driving, coupled with the very cold nights we have recently had, is the loss of pressure unusual or usual ?? I should add that she's been tucked up in my garage all of the time too

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Many thanks,
Kev H

Tyre pressures do drop over time in long-term storage, so it may simply be a case of putting some air in.

However, the question to ask is did the 3 other tyres also drop by a similar amount ? Had the same thing happen to me recently on the rear tyre of my TT. Pressure was only 10psi. Convinced myself it just needed a bit of air, but did notice that I was still losing about 15psi per week. Took the wheel off and found a cunningly concealed screw in the tread, so a slow puncture was the explanation. May be the same with your tyre.

Many thanks

I did re-air all tyres

The OSF was 23psi .... Down 10psi

The rear NS was 30psi so down 9 and the OS rear was down 10

I'll keep an eye on them over the next few days, but my listen going forward will be to check every month and re-air if required

Best wishes,
K H

My car was laid up for 2 months and tyre pressures didn't change at all.

As you say that your plan in future is to check them every month I suspect that they had lost pressure over time before you stopped driving it.

The NS front has probably got a loose valve or a nail in the tread.

I put my summer wheels on yesterday which had been in the garage since late October. Pressures where down between 5-8 psi all round.

Just a thought as it happened to me recently on my daily- low pressure warning repeatedly came on having pumped up the offending tyre. Checked all around the tyre and no signs of damage or leak. Turned out to be the valve cap- there's a small sealing o-ring in the valve cap (not all valve caps have this so it may not be the case with yours but worth a look if all other usual suspects have been eliminated) and it had come out of position and was pushing in the needle of the valve slightly which obviously was letting air out. Used a small pokey thing to put the o-ring back in place and all sorted now.

Martian said:
My car hasn't been used since October. I checked the tyre pressures last week and they had gone down by ~3psi.

Same here. I checked mine last week and they varied between 3-5psi less and the car has been laid up since October as well (alas).

A drop of 22psi seems excessive to me and I would recommend getting the tyre checked out.

It's always worth nipping up the Schrader valves now and again, i.e. the 'plunger' within the valve core. Over time, these can work slightly loose, leading to a very slow loss of air over time.

You can buy little tools from Halfords and the like to tighten them up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back