Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo not boosting (Now resolved thanks to 9e)

vlad

Hi,

Not quite true - if I keep it planted it does come on boost but max. 0.6 after a big lag.

So I am pretty sure one side is sticking not working.

Until today I'd get 1 bar 1.2bar and boost would be nice and gradual but strong.

All hoses seem to be good.

just after suggestions / options available?

Looks like my passenger side turbo is kaput - the mechanism that controls the vanes feels as though it's sticking. It's slow to return when moved by hand, it can be moved and does return, just slowly.

Link rod is in place.

Might be the actuator - which I have seen can be bought separately £508.06+VAT

Or worst case scenario and apparently the most likely the (hotside?) of the Turbo itself £2936.95+VAT (price of the turbo + the actuator)

Have spoken to Turbo Technics - as I always thought it was a case of when they go I'd send them off to be Hybridised (is there such a word?)

But apparently 997 VTG turbos can't be rebuilt - there are no parts available, the manufacturer (Borg Warner?) have never released parts.

So is my only option to buy new turbos from Porsche?

Thanks

New997buyer said:
:eek:

Good luck mate. Us turbo driver's worst nightmare :sad:

Yup. Looks like a new turbo if the parts are not on general availability if thats what a turbo rebuilder has told you.

A trip to OPC by the looks of it.

Always the possibility that there might be a scrap one available if someone has written a 997 Turbo off.

Yup, as New997buyer highlights - us turbo driver's worst nightmare.

If it has gone it may be worth checking with the tuners to see if they have any available after people have upgraded, ESMotor / 9e etc etc...

I'd get the codes read on a Durametric / PIWIS first. Then look to get a leak / vacuum test done.

Better still, get it to Ken at 9E and let him sort it. He has a good name and reputation for Turbo cars and may have a spare unit from someone who went the whole hog and tuned theirs to the sky for vertical take off!

Turbo technics told me the same. The garage did manage to eventually source a new turbo cartridge abroad but I'm not sure it saved much cost in the end and it added a lot of time.

The actuator sticks quite commonly.

They can be rebuilt to a degree, the issue is if there is damage to the housings. Due to the location, they can corrode very badly causing a failure. If it isn't the actuator I can inspect the turbo to see if it can be repaired, and if not supply a new turbo for a lot less than Porsche if needed.

M

Sticky actuators is a fairly common problem (happened to me twice) and if it is this then a bit of high temp lubricant should free it up and off you go - a decent OPC would do this free of charge... good luck :thumb:

Thanks, for all the suggestions.

my local Indy has offered to pop it on a ramp early next week so we can see whats what.

(I believe there is a diagnostic they can run which tests the actuators).

And I guess we'll take it from there.

If it turns out to be turbo side (rather than actuator), I'll definitely be in touch Mezgerite (thanks for the kind offer). :thumb:

Sticking actuators are a common problem, Porsche issued a service campaign back in 2009 to lubricate them with a high temperature grease. I periodically give mine a squirt of said grease and haven't had an issue in the 42K miles of ownership.

Part no. P999.917.778.00 It's pricey though, around £60 per can!

The same thing happened to me and it was the actuators sticking. They can be taken off and replaced, and my OPC did say that they would have done that, but in my case the turbo casings were so badly corroded that I had to replace everything.

OPC prices were in the region of £8k including labour, and oddly, these were quoted as refurbished units.

In the end, Mike at Sports and Classics sourced a pair of low mileage units from someone who had upgraded and I paid £3k plus labour.

Good luck!! :thumb:

I am currently in the same position. The LHS turbo started sticking about a year or so ago, in fact the actuator mechanism was stuck solid. My Indy managed to free it up, giving me back full boost for a short period of time but then after several 'visit workshop' notices the same side was found to be leaking oil. After a bit of ringing around Turbo Dynamics down in Christchurch said they would have a look at it. I decided to send both down for possible refurbishment but after assessing them, they reported back on Thursday that both housings are completely shot and the turbos are beyond repair. After several phone calls, texts and emails it is now apparent that there are no refurbished or hybrids currently available anywhere in the country with some dealers advising that 997 turbo units have been on 'back order' for almost a year now with no date for availability on the horizon but my Indy has sourced 2 new ones from Porsche, so hopefully I will be back on the road shortly. My vehicle was registered in Dec 2006, so one of the earlier ones purchased in this Country but looking ahead there may possibly be hundreds of 2007's, 2008's etc requiring same shortly as they get to the same age/mileage.

This sounds a bit worrying! Any preventive maintenance we should be doing??

Many be looked fine when we fitted the Kline.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back