Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Additional work service time at OPC's - needed?

glenwells

Monza
First time I used the local OPC for a service I have used Independents before.

I got the impression they wanted to inflate the service options as much as possible. Even before seeing the car one guy wanted me to have the air con drained disinfected tested charged etc and dull geometry check. All for a fee of course.

I look after my car and do quite a bit of fettling and general care for it.

I was suprised to be informed that some things should be replaced.

An example was - front top mounts and front shocks due to corrosion and front brake pipes to the flexible hoses for the same thing.
I had the front wheels off to look myself. I was struggling to see anything other than light dis-colouring of the top mount bolts and some paint had lifted on the bottom of the front shocks about the size of a thumb nail. I could only see one place on one brake pipe where the green paint had come off maybe by a stone didn't look rusty.
I took it to my local garage who put it on the ramp, they said it was fine and good for 9+ years old.
It also had an MOT within the last 2 months or about 600 miles and never even had an advisory??

Another amusing one was wanting to change the 4 month old Bosch battery I put on the car back to a Porsche approved one. I ditched to original one as it was pants.

Do OPC's want the cars to be maintained to an a like new standard?

Happy to fix and change knacked stuff but last experience has left a nagging doubt of over zealous offers to change stuff.

Anyone else had similar experience and how was it handled?

Regards
GW

glenwells said:
Anyone else had similar experience and how was it handled?

:floor: welcome to Porsche ownership.

The OPC assumes you want to keep the car mint and 100% original. They do not like non original parts, and will not let you extend the warranty if you do.

Did they not pick you up on non original wiper blades too?

I find the OPC approach to maintenance very modular with a service bulletin for guidance.... I may be wrong but it's the impression I get. I recently had mine serviced (6 years) and because I requested PDK transmission oil change it seemed to throw them because it's not in their little book. I had to be quite firm in order to get the job done.... They were happy to do the clutch pack oil because it said so in the guidelines but not the transmission. To be fair they carried out a software update and re adaptation. And it does feel much better.
As the 1st 3 services are OPC I'll be trying a good indy next time to see how things go.

That coffee and showroom doesn't pay for itself.

I generally go over the things with them with the car up on a ramp. Sometimes they send me videos. I don't spend money on pointless jobs like aircon, wipers and airbag checks.

TBH, it's the same at all main dealers, it doesn't matter if it's a Ford or Ferrari, they all have targets to meet and will try their luck.

I remember a main dealer telling me my exhaust was on it's way out and needed replacing. I knew my car and its service history very well and declined. Nine years, nine MOT's and 100K miles later, I sold the car with the same exhaust system.

Caveat emptor etc.

Replies imrpove my mood

Thanks for the replies and not too dissimilar experiences.

I like to think I am fairly savvy but after my recent experience I thought I had 'mug' and 'open wallet' written on my forehead :lol: :lol:

Ta
GW

I have had two major services on two different Porsches at OPC Silverstone and they haven't been like that. They've highlighted a few little things but never pushed or over exaggerated the importance. Admittedly I don't have their warranty.

I've had similar with my local OPC and only use my local Indy Strasse in Leeds, I have a right laugh with the guys there even if Dave takes some getting used to when you ring up and say how much and he starts to laugh :hand:

I've used Porsche Leicester for the last couple of years and they've been very good. Don't seem to try and push for extra work, Recommended :thumb:

I really think it comes down to the blokes "selling" the service stuff. They aren't really car guys, or porsche enthusiasts. Just a job where they get a bonus for selling shop hours to buy another matalan suit i presume.

I'm like you Glen, I've done a fair bit of work on my car over winter, just to tidy things up and i know it inside out. I'm tempted to take it to Porsche for just their health check to see what they point out (as i know it's pretty sound all round now) It'll be interesting to see what they snag.

I had an Indy snag my coil pack heat shields for corrosion. After i got them removed the corrosion was the smallest crispy corner - the way i was described it is the thing looked like it'd spent 10 years in the sea.

I still maintain you've gotta know your stuff or anyones willing to lift your leg when it comes to cars. Even indy's.

neil_911 said:

I still maintain you've gotta know your stuff or anyones willing to lift your leg when it comes to cars. Even indy's.

I would leave my keys and a blank cheque with Tony and the guys at Dove House without a second thought

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back