Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

mercedes slk 280 auto gen 2.

Palladium

comment and opinions on this car please, if you have any?

just browsing, seems a lot of car, for low money, also low milers seem to be the order of the day.

gets some good reviews.

nice in dark colours.

regards.

For anything to do with these modern classics, I refer to Modern Classics Magazine. I like old Mercs but know little about this one. Try the MB UK forum also - great membership help on any queries.

cheshire911 said:
For anything to do with these modern classics, I refer to Modern Classics Magazine. I like old Mercs but know little about this one. Try the MB UK forum also - great membership help on any queries.

I'm glad this has come up as I really fancy getting a 1988 Merc 300CE convertible for a summer. Need to research what makes a good one and a bad one

possible issues with the 350slk, timing chain stabiliser failing, causing engine failure, can be checked via vin no,

low miles indicate weekend toys, some say hairdressers car, or ladies car looked at one today, appeared mint for a 12 year old car, sounded lovely on tick over, dident get to see roof in action due to rain.

£305 road tax or £520, but year dependant, 2006 are £305, exactly the same car.

stunning in black.

Recently looked at this SLK55 AMG. 2005 and 77K miles at £13.9K. A real stunner.

Would have gone for it but have heard horror stories about the cost of brake discs/pads, so reluctantly gave it a miss as the fronts looked like they may need changed soon.

Attachments

• slk55_223.jpg
    slk55_223.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 6,190
Front disks and pads on my SL55 AMG F1 cost me just under £900. That wasn't the fitted price, that was just parts, with a good discount too!!
I love the 80's Mercs, well built and easy to work on, some parts are getting scarce though.

MC

Local Merc dealer had quoted me just over £1.6K for OEM front discs/pads (parts only) :nooo:

i just looked up pads and discs for the thread titled car, they are about the same price as my berlingo van, any mechanic can put these on, you could yourself.

if you let someone rob you, they will.

gearbox software on par with an Amstrad Satellite Box

SL's are renown for hood motors/ pumps
The boot lid seals leak, the pump is under the boot carpet, fills up with water and seizes,
Circa £2500 fix, and they seem to go every 2/3 years

Mark - spot-on. I was considering a SL55 AMG. Went on the MB forum and horror stories abound. The cars can be had for c£20k and a good one around £25k but tend to be high mileage dogs. I also spoke to my MB main dealer who got me a chat with one of their "heritage" mechanics - and after that I decided to drop the idea. The water leaks screws up the electrics for the hood. The suspension is prone to pack up (the electrics in it apparently). Plus the paintwork can be poor with corrosion around rear wheel arches where they meet the sills and the top of the wheel arch. Also corrosion on the top of the roof along the windscreen.

Also its a torque converter auto and that put me off completely - even though guys selling the car say it suits the power delivery of the car.

General view on MB forum also was that there are plenty of these cars around so values unlikely to rise a lot and many are high mileage dogs that need careful inspection before purchase. Some low mileage examples fetch £30k+

The boot seal issues are fixed on the later cars. My SL55 is a MY 2007 car which also has the updated sat nav and the improved suspension, only available on that year. MB made continual improvements to many areas of the car over the years so you can't lump them all together. The later cars are the best and command a premium.
I agree on the gearbox, it suits the car perfectly. Lazy feeling engine but give it the beans and that 510hp and 720Nm of torque makes itself known, they are seriously quick GT cars which are fantastic at pootlong around at 2k rpm. Expect 13mpg on short journeys in town.

MC

yes, i have my doubts about the power roof, the one i saw was bone dry inside, but i bet they do break,

so my question, can you buy a great looking 2 seater like the slk, with a fixed roof, a coupe, no electric stuff.

Cayman?

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back