Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 6
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15567
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: 997.2 Third muffler/silencer Bypass pipes, supplier list Reply with quote

The 997.2 in stock form whether with or without Porsche Sports Exhaust is a bit muted and not the 911 sound track you would expect from these cars .

Recently on the forum there seems to be a lot of owners with 997 gen 2 cars looking to add a bit of sound whether they have PSE or not. One of the quickest, easiest, cheapest options on the gen2 is to go for the third muffler bypass pipes.

So in order to assist them with finding the suppliers I have compiled a list of the most popular options. I hope this helps anyone looking for this upgrade.

There are two versions available an Xpipe and a straight cross over, these will both do the same job and are purely a personal choice if you want to read up more have a look on Sharkwerks and Fabspeeds websites as they both advocate a different option and you can make your choice from there.

Here are a list of the weblinks to the most popular of these by pass pipes.

note if you are under a Porsche warranty you must seek their approval before buying this item , I have known them to be ok with this mod and may only exclude the exhaust from warranty but the rest is still good.


https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-997-2-carrera-secondary-silencer-bypass

https://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/911/997/porsche-997-gen-2-centre-silencer-replacement-pipe.html

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-2-carrera-center-muffler-bypass-x-pipe/

http://www.design911.co.uk//fu/prod13021/Primary-Exhaust-Muffler-Bypass-X-Pipe-DesignTek-for-Porsche-997/?imt=1&utm_campaign=uk+shopping&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/milltek-sport-porsche-911-997-3-6-3-8-c2-c2-s-gts-09-12-rear-silencers.html
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1668
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil. I can only add that a Hayward & Scott is not incompatible with a full aftermarket warranty. It's not like you've stuck a couple of hot cams into the engine... Cool
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
spongebob squarepants
Long Beach


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6054
Location: Manchester and Iraq


PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, M8,

Thanks for the assistance in potentially spending more money frustrated

I've no real inclination to go for a full system, so based on a standard gen 2 exhaust, 3 questions...

1/By doing this is the sound comparible with the gundo hack?
2/Presuming bolts freed off, easy to swap out and return back to stock DIY?
3/ Why is the TG item so much Cheaper than the rest? [/b]
_________________
991 C2S PDK - X51 430 powerkit, Carbon GT2 folding buckets, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Carrera S alloys, Sports design bodykit with ducktail and Alcantara steering wheel. If Carling did a 991S...
“Herman yellow, the last of the naturally aspirated. ”YKIMS"



Apparently other colours are available?

 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
wildej
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 251
Location: Wirral


PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bypass was done by these guys who are local to me.

https://www.cybox.co.uk/shop/?s=997

The bypass shown on the website is different to the one they made me though, mine is similar to the Sharkwerks one.

Sounds great with the PSE.
_________________
997 GTS
Previous
991.1 C4S
997.1 Turbo
997.2 C4S
997.2 Carrera
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15567
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongebob squarepants wrote:
Phil, M8,

Thanks for the assistance in potentially spending more money frustrated

I've no real inclination to go for a full system, so based on a standard gen 2 exhaust, 3 questions...

1/By doing this is the sound comparible with the gundo hack?
2/Presuming bolts freed off, easy to swap out and return back to stock DIY?
3/ Why is the TG item so much Cheaper than the rest? [/b]


Hi Mate, what me help spend everyone's money , I know not what ye means Grin Grin Very Happy

to try and answer your questions

1/ IMO and its very personal but the bypass is a nicer note than the gundo and very easily put back to stock.
2/ ah I have already answered that lol , but yes assuming the bolts free easily its about an hour to swap back over.
3/ Top gear make these themselves, everythings in stock and the raw materials brought in large bulk at the right prices.
So you are effectivly buying from the manufacture so avoiding middle man mark up or custom made to order low volume production costs.and lastly UK based so not buying at the dollar price.
Topgear is the manufacturing arm for brands like Powerflow and Longlife Exhausts amongst others. They only do Exhausts unlike some of the others that dabble in other areas .

Due to them being the manufacturer they are able to stand behind their products and offer a life time you own the car warranty on their exhausts.

Bloody hell I sound like a sales rep for topgear Floor but I have visited their facility a few times and liked what I saw the staff are happy and interested in what they do, and the way they treat their customers which is why I am happy to reccomend them it has nothing to do with the fact that one of the admin girls has lovely legs mmmmm well not much Floor Floor
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.

Last edited by Phil 997 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MarkC4S
Monza


Joined: 05 Jul 2016
Posts: 198



PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, a few numptie questions.

The Topgear pipe listing is for PDK, so is there a different pipe for manuals?

TG warn about tripping warning lights and recommend re-mapping, which puts the cost up (not to mention having to declare a mod for insurance), is this typically the case or on rare occasions?

Are all of the solutions posted compatible with the PSE?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15567
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Mark,
The bypass set up is the same for PDK and Manual no difference its just poor wording on the TG ad
TG put that warning on all of their ads its just a stock waiver and doesnt apply in the case of the bypass pipes , its straight plug and play no cels lights, no remap needed.
yes the bypass works with PSE and no PSE and many on here that have done the bypass with PSE say its the perfect sound , Thumb

hope that helps mate dont forget if you do go with the TG bypass they are a forum sponsor and will give you 10% off the web price if you ask them Alex is the Sales Director there he will make sure your sorted Thumb Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
easternjets
Watkins Glen


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 2151
Location: Darlington


PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Sharkwerks off one of the members on here, for a Gen 2 Turbo.

It's the mutts!! No remapping, no intrusive drone in the cabin although there is a slight growl when you accelerate gently in 7th and it doesn't change down. My only gripe is the cost for what is basically 2 mtrs of hollow pipe!
_________________
997 Turbo Gen 2
997 Turbo Tiptronic S
Porsche 968 Coupe 1992
Porsche 928 S4
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985
 



20170813_201429.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  838.28 KB
 Viewed:  3685 Time(s)

20170813_201429.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MarkC4S
Monza


Joined: 05 Jul 2016
Posts: 198



PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Morning Mark,
The bypass set up is the same for PDK and Manual no difference its just poor wording on the TG ad
TG put that warning on all of their ads its just a stock waiver and doesnt apply in the case of the bypass pipes , its straight plug and play no cels lights, no remap needed.
yes the bypass works with PSE and no PSE and many on here that have done the bypass with PSE say its the perfect sound , Thumb

hope that helps mate dont forget if you do go with the TG bypass they are a forum sponsor and will give you 10% off the web price if you ask them Alex is the Sales Director there he will make sure your sorted Thumb Thumb


Good morning to you Phil; thanks for the very helpful information. Not quite pulling the trigger on modding yet, but this would probably at the top of the slippery slope Smile
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15567
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkC4S wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
Morning Mark,
The bypass set up is the same for PDK and Manual no difference its just poor wording on the TG ad
TG put that warning on all of their ads its just a stock waiver and doesnt apply in the case of the bypass pipes , its straight plug and play no cels lights, no remap needed.
yes the bypass works with PSE and no PSE and many on here that have done the bypass with PSE say its the perfect sound , Thumb

hope that helps mate dont forget if you do go with the TG bypass they are a forum sponsor and will give you 10% off the web price if you ask them Alex is the Sales Director there he will make sure your sorted Thumb Thumb


Good morning to you Phil; thanks for the very helpful information. Not quite pulling the trigger on modding yet, but this would probably at the top of the slippery slope Smile



Floor Floor your welcome Mark, it is a great place to start as the DFI engine with or without PSE is not quite the sound we want from our 911 and the bypass pipes just make it right without going mad like I have and ending up with a" gates of hell opening" sound Grin Grin Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.

Last edited by Phil 997 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
arifg
Trainee


Joined: 25 Dec 2017
Posts: 80
Location: Hertfordshire


PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
Thanks Phil. I can only add that a Hayward & Scott is not incompatible with a full aftermarket warranty. It's not like you've stuck a couple of hot cams into the engine... Cool


Hi - Response from Porsche Leiciester - Specifically asked them about H&S bypass.


Thank you for your email.

My understanding is that any deviation from factory specification will void a warranty claim. While it might not affect certain area of the cars function it can be used as a way to void the warranty as you have made changes to the car. I can not recommend it being fitted but the decision lies with you.

Have a great day.


Kind Regards

David Flannagan
Sales Executive

Porsche Centre Leicester
7 Fletton Close
Thurmaston Lane
Leicester
LE4 9LP
_________________
Black 2011 Porsche 997.2 Turbo
Black 2009 Audi R8 V8
Black 2016 BMW X5 3.0 L
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15567
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="arifg"]

That's interesting as I have read and heard so many differing views taken by OPCs re this mod , but Leicester OPC have clearly taken their stance on it. which is why I added the note on the bottom of my original post as it is a grey area so you need to check if you have a warranty before doing this addition.

I personally dont have a warranty as just about the only thing left on the car that's stock is the doors Grin Grin So I accept mine would fail 110 of the 111 point check for warranty . Floor Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
squelch
Montreal


Joined: 05 Jun 2016
Posts: 507
Location: Bucks


PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
arifg wrote:


Hi - Response from Porsche Leiciester - Specifically asked them about H&S bypass.


Thank you for your email.

My understanding is that any deviation from factory specification will void a warranty claim. While it might not affect certain area of the cars function it can be used as a way to void the warranty as you have made changes to the car. I can not recommend it being fitted but the decision lies with you.

Have a great day.


Kind Regards

David Flannagan
Sales Executive

Porsche Centre Leicester


That's interesting as I have read and heard so many differing views taken by OPCs re this mod , but Leicester OPC have clearly taken their stance on it. which is why I added the note on the bottom of my original post as it is a grey area so you need to check if you have a warranty before doing this addition.

I personally dont have a warranty as just about the only thing left on the car that's stock is the doors Grin Grin So I accept mine would fail 110 of the 111 point check for warranty . Floor Thumb


Seems like a lazy and non-committal reply from the Sales Executive at OPC Leicester. As I see it, his reply means very little since it starts with "my understanding is..." - His understanding of the downforce of a Porsche's aerokit may be that it can drive upside-down in a tunnel at speed but that doesn't make it so. So, how about he trots along and digs out the warranty policy and answers the question properly.

While I expect most OPC's will say you can't do anything, I believe some people have been advised that some mod's are ok, but the parts in question obviously would not be covered nor would any parts affected by the mod (and of course Porsche would likely wriggle like hell to avoid paying). As an aside, I've tried to find the full warranty policy to have a good read and just cannot find it anywhere - the wording on the porsche website it pretty vague. Does anyone have the full policy wording? I'm at an OPC next week so will ask while I'm there.
_________________
From Stuttgart: 997 GTS, 997 GT3 (Kermit)
From Munich: 535d M Touring
From Bologne: Ducati Superlight
Gone but not forgotten: 996 C4S, 964, 924
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3875
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could find the thread where someone said they had confirmation from Porsche GB stating that the bypass wouldn't void the warranty.
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15567
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:
I wish I could find the thread where someone said they had confirmation from Porsche GB stating that the bypass wouldn't void the warranty.


I agree its in here somewhere sure it said that only the exhaust wouldnt be covered , I agree you may have to swap it back to renew as it would need to pass the 111 point check but then you just put it back on . Because they are all basically franchises they are going to have differing opinions as they do with prices.
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Magic919
Barcelona


Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 1284
Location: Berkshire


PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had warranty work done whilst the Sharkwerks bypass was on the car. I'm fairly sure they wouldn't renew with it on, but they didn't refuse work due to the bypass.
_________________
997.2 C4S PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
shabs
Monza


Joined: 28 Mar 2014
Posts: 182
Location: Teddington


PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

You need to set up a Porsche mods group facebook page....you'd have a million followers in no time!!

Do you know what the labour charge is roughly to get this fitted via Topgear?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1668
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabs wrote:
Hi Phil,

You need to set up a Porsche mods group facebook page....you'd have a million followers in no time!!



If they can't find their way onto the forum, then ... why generate more traffic for Faceballs? We need Phil The Man of Mods over here thankyouverymuch. puh
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cheib
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Posts: 325



PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
FZP wrote:
I wish I could find the thread where someone said they had confirmation from Porsche GB stating that the bypass wouldn't void the warranty.


I agree its in here somewhere sure it said that only the exhaust wouldnt be covered , I agree you may have to swap it back to renew as it would need to pass the 111 point check but then you just put it back on . Because they are all basically franchises they are going to have differing opinions as they do with prices.


You definitely can't renew with it on....like you can't renew without the OEM battery etc.

Whether it voids the warranty is down to each OPC (and I suspect how well they know you) as they are effectively the gate keeper for the warranrty claims process.....If it's engine related I think it might be an issue. if it's an electric window motor you should be fine!
_________________
997 GTS Manual
Cayenne S Diesel
Ruby Star 718 Boxster - Mrs Cheib's car
Lava Orange 991.2 GT3 Manual
Sport Classic Grey Macan Turbo PP
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
shabs
Monza


Joined: 28 Mar 2014
Posts: 182
Location: Teddington


PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor Floor .. he's become a mod legend!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum