Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Basalt Black - a self indulgent moment of reflection

squelch

Imola
Having not seen the GTS for a while I took off the cover today and gave it a bit of a wipe over. The Basalt Black gives such a deep reflection - it's like a mirror!!

Attachments

• img_6371a_183.jpg
    img_6371a_183.jpg
    989.4 KB · Views: 4,623
Yep I pulled the cover off my basalt turbo to put some new matts in and was blown away by the depth of the colour :thumbs:

Very nice, what LSP is on the car, and what did you wipe down with?

Just QD and a mf?

James M-S said:
Very nice, what LSP is on the car, and what did you wipe down with?

Just QD and a mf?
Thanks! The car was ceramic coated (G-techniq) last year so indeed just a quick squirt of detailer spray and a wipe with a microfibre is all it needed really. I think the black shows off the car's lines so well!!

Attachments

• img_6373a_193.jpg
    img_6373a_193.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,406
Seeing that you've sort of made my mind up about the G Tech ceramic coating, they have a new one out called Crystal Serum Ultra (new name must be better!) Same colour as yours but a Turbo.
All in it's going to be about £700.

My car is a daily driver, and regularly goes in the petrol station car wash and gets swirl marks all over it.
Come summertime I put a coat of PoorBoys Blackhole glaze (£15 a bottle) on it and it does wonders.

Here's a photo of my old Basalt Black coupe with it on (once the weather gets a bit better I'll put a coat on my Midnight Blue Cab to compare).

Poor_Boys.jpg

Poorboys2.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poorboys-Black-Hole-Show-Glaze/dp/B002OHL1CI

Msguiers polish with poorboys wax daily drive

Attachments

• 20180128_144720_2016x1042_197.jpg
    20180128_144720_2016x1042_197.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,253
I use Poorboys products on my basalt black, the black hole glaze and their 'black wax" in combo produces a fantastic finish, but I've been leaning towards getting it corrected and polished and sealed with ceramic.

I'm torn though, not only would I miss the satisfaction (and finish) of hand polishing, glazing and waxing, I'm think tha5 while the ceramic will resist the inevitable return of swirls for longer, it won't stop stone chips and wheel arch/sill rash, which are my real bug bear. The swirls can be polished out with the money saved on the ceramic! First world problem :thumb:

Poor boys black hole is a great product but so is g-tech I had it on my old 996. If you love detailing forget the g-tech but if you love to give it a quick wash and it's back to deep gloss finish spend the money on the g-tech!

Personally I love to spend all weekend twice a year getting it just right and missed detailing on the 996, the wife liked it though meant I could go shopping 😂

I agree MJA911, there is a great deal of pleasure to be derived from spending time correcting swirls etc.

I coated mine last year with Gtechniq C1 and then Exo after I'd done a paint correction. Now it needs a half decent wash to come up lovely. I do miss putting layers of waxes on to achieve that ultra shine.. To do so now would be to miss the point of the ceramic coating...

Mine was absolutely pitted after a run down to London last month. A quick wash (2 bucket) and she came up lovely!

32013054642_bc7245f8af_k.jpg

Ohhh, pictures of shiny cars my favorite. They all look lovely guys by the way and I love Basalt (Ragpicker ceramics or painted calipers? look nice whatever)

Poor boys is great, but it is full of fillers that just masks the swirls and marks, it does a good job too, but they are still there, bit like woman's make-up !!

A proper detail, clay, swirl removal / paint correction, polish and seal is a different level and finish.

Anyway that should be for another thread in the meantime....

Here is mine after 2stage correction and gtechniq, I can't remember what products though. Think it was c1 and exo.

3 days and £500 (non-certified gtechniq detailer).

I have snowfoamed and washed it pretty much weekly in the subsequent 2.5 years (never topped up with anything). It still beads like crazy but the coating does show swirls quite easily. I accidentally dragged the hose across the bonnet when rinsing, and it left quite bad marks. A bit disappointed, but still worth the money for time saved in the weekly wash. I hope to get the bonnet redone this summer.

Poorboys and my elbow grease, but once I have a pause in spending on other matters, I'll treat it to a pro detail, with ceramic or not

Attachments

• 9e5c9a0c_e935_4d02_a62f_a50a26f5e148_173.jpeg
    9e5c9a0c_e935_4d02_a62f_a50a26f5e148_173.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4,155
  • 10d236b8_38ae_4157_8c40_ddfb856a1df0_248.jpeg
    10d236b8_38ae_4157_8c40_ddfb856a1df0_248.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4,151

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V