Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best tyres for a 996 turbo???

NickHappy

Montreal
I'm in the market for some new boots all round. I'd be interested to hear of owners experiences and opinions. I'm currently on Continental Contact Sports, they're still pretty decent on the tread but considering the age they need changing.

I'm thinking Michelin Pilots, which are the ones best suited to 996 turbo and what should I be paying??

Cheers

NH

PS2s. Speak to Chris at Exel wheels for a deal. :thumb:

I tried Pirellis then continentals
BUT
Michelin PS2's are in a different league, you won't be disappointed, highly recommended. As for price shop around, I even saw some on amazon with free delivery, but tyre prices are relative to oil prices so shop around.

jerzybondov said:
No PS4s in turbo sizes?

Yep sadly that's still true - i was recently in the same position and have just switched from Bridgestones after maybe 8 years and am keen to give them a try

I was in contact with Michelin direct approx 2 months ago and they confirmed that the rear tyres are not N rated for the 996 turbo in PS4's so i have PS2 N3's. Furthermore, they did not have any plans to have them N rated in the forseeable future Haven't actually tried them out yet as the weather has been cr@p as we know so i can't give any feedback yet

Worth bearing in mind that you need a decent fitter as well as supplier! I bought mine from Goodwheels and had my OPC fit them while in for service

:thumb:

Only Michelins will do for me, too.

DO they do SuperSports in your sizes? They're good, too.

PS2 N3's all-round. I changed from Continental.

Check date of manufacture when you buy them - some old stock out there.

PS2s all the way, what you can get away with on road and track, wet or dry beggars belief!! :thumb:

I put PS2 N4s on the rear of mine, and non N-rated PS4s on the front of my C4S. The PS4 is a grippier tyre than the PS2 as a more modern design and compound, and it has certainly improved front end bite and reduced oversteer.

In the name of disclosure, I am comparing them with 10 year old, but almost unworn PS N1s which came off it.

My Insurance company didn't care about the N rating and I don't have a Porsche warranty, and have no regrets on my decision.

They came from a guy in Bracknell called Ben Patey (you can find him on Facebook) and were under £600 for the set.

Cheers for all the input gents - really helpful. Looks like I'll go for the PS2 N3s.

What sizes you all running? my current Conti sports are 225/40 and 295/30 18s of course.

Iirc last time I checked the supersports don't come in anything smaller than 19inch. It is a bit annoying for us older car owners, I dread to think of the difficulties the air cooled boys must have, I'm sure some of them are 16 inches.

:thumb: standard sizes for mine: 225/40 & 295/30/18's

8)

angry said:
PS2s all the way, what you can get away with on road and track, wet or dry beggars belief!! :thumb:

:yeah:

With a good chassis set up they are immense :thumb:

Pilot Super Sport & Pilot P4S are both superior to PS2 in everyway, wet grip, dry grip and wear. - Both supersede the PS2 and utalise newer technology.

However neither are N rated, if this bothers you go for PS2, if it does not, go for PSS or PS4S, the cost of all 3 are similar.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back