Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New tyres required - sorry!

acme

As you'll see a long term owner here - 10 years in May!

Currently got conti sport contact 2's, rears require replacing and as they were fitted in 2011 I'll be replacing all four.

I'm not fussed about N rating, and had pirelli p zeros before.

Appreciate tyres tend to be as emotive as oil but all suggestions gratefully received

:thumb:

Bridgestone S02A's
They are N rated even though its not important to you but I am impressed with them and not stupidly expensive either.

Everyone will have a view, but of all the tyre I have had on lots of cars, nothing has felt as good as Michelin Pilot Sports.

Have had (and on Porsches incuding 964 and Spyder):
Bridgestone - not great
Continental - not great
Pirelli - just awful. Shockingly bad

The set of Michelin tyres currently on the 993 were recommended by Center Gravity. The Pirelli set went in the bin.

Gav, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric are hard to beat (what Steve put on the 17's on his C2). Great value for money (and a decent Rim Protection).

PZero's are a definite no, so unless you want to pay for PS2's (which given you've got 7 years out of the Conti's wouldn;t be bad value I'd go Goodyear

From past experience I wouldn't touch Pirelli's if they were free.

I've run Bridgestone S02A's on my 993 for the past two years and have been very impressed with them. Great dry weather grip and not too noisy. I can't comment on wet weather grip as the car has only seen rain on a couple of occasions. :grin:

I have Michelins on two of my other cars and have ran them on many past performance cars and rate them highly.
I have a set of Pilot Sport Cups going on my 993 this summer and looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

You won't go wrong with Bridgestone's or Michelins.

C.

tyinsky said:
Everyone will have a view, but of all the tyre I have had on lots of cars, nothing has felt as good as Michelin Pilot Sports.

Have had (and on Porsches incuding 964 and Spyder):
Bridgestone - not great
Continental - not great
Pirelli - just awful. Shockingly bad

The set of Michelin tyres currently on the 993 were recommended by Center Gravity. The Pirelli set went in the bin.
I agree, I always fit PS2's on the 993. I've tried other makes on other cars and always go back to Michelin. Pirelli Sottozeros work well on the 944 and for summer and track Yokohama Advan.
Not had good experiences with Bridgestone or Pirelli summer tyres. The PS2s felt much better than Vredestein winter tyres in the cold and wet which was surprising.

mashby said:
Bridgestone S02A's
They are N rated even though its not important to you but I am impressed with them and not stupidly expensive either.

This ^^^^^^ . Very good tyres (Not as good as the late great S02 though).

You'll not go wrong with these tyres, I'm on my second set now. Good for
mileage and road holding in wet or dry conditions

Michelin Pilot Sports 4 or Super Sports if you're not bothered about Porsche Warranty.

Yokohama AD08R are my Lotus and have been very impressed with those. I have a friend who can get those cheap for those interested. PM me

DerbyJim said:
Michelin Pilot Sports 4 or Super Sports if you're not bothered about Porsche Warranty.

Yokohama AD08R are my Lotus and have been very impressed with those. I have a friend who can get those cheap for those interested. PM me

I noticed this weekend just gone that MPS4's are available in 993 NB 18" sizes (non N Rated).

Has anyone tried these yet? I'm a fan of the MPS2 N Rated but i'm tempted to give these a try as i'm running low on tread myself.

I've had Continentals for 12 years; needed to replace the rears but ATS said that the 255/40 17's been discontinued. Spoke to local OPC who strongly recommended Michelins (grip, wear & noise) and not to mix them, so got 4 from ATS for about the same price as the Contis would have been; had a deal on with disposal & balancing etc free.
So far, seem quieter and a bit smoother (bearing in mind that new tyres always do and I need to convince myself of money well spent).

Great time of year to change tyres, spring is in the air and you get to roll the car out on fresh rubber and enjoy the summer.
I'm on my second set of PS2 super sports and will be getting another set next month.
If I could I would get the PS4's as they are reported to be even better, but they don't do them in 285/30/18 :dont know:

Barryn said:
Great time of year to change tyres, spring is in the air and you get to roll the car out on fresh rubber and enjoy the summer.
I'm on my second set of PS2 super sports and will be getting another set next month.
If I could I would get the PS4's as they are reported to be even better, but they don't do them in 285/30/18 :dont know:

isnt 225/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear standard for an NB?

Thanks for all the replies fellas, appreciated :thumb:

Thanks too Rob, I've been talking to Steve and as you say he had Goodyears. Is that what you've got?

Hello Diddy_P

Yes, you are quite right on those sizes.

I'm in a WB, so the rears (for me) are 285/30/18.

:thumbs:

Barryn said:
I'm in a WB, so the rears (for me) are 285/30/18.

:thumbs:

Ah- missed that - Cool :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back