Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Horn going off at 1.50am!!!!!!

stucart

Montreal
Was awoken at 1.50am by the horn going off on the 911, by the time I got outside, 3-4 minutes (in a blizzard of snow) it had stopped!
Unlocked and locked car all appeared ok, went back to bed wondering if it really was mine I heard, then it starts again but intermittently, get outside again (still in a blizzard) nothing??
Decided it might be wise for the sake of neighbours to disconnect battery for the night, car was on CTek and I forgot to disconnect that and of course soon as I disconnected (-) terminal alarm went off!!! Grrr, reconnected (-) lead and pressed fob, alarm stops, disconnect CTek comfort lead and disconnect (-) terminal off battery. Silence!! Phew! WTF????

Bit of info, I recently , 2 weeks ago swapped steering wheel and airbag for like for like but with re-trimmed wheel, all seemed fine everything works multifunction etc, horn ok, drove it last weekend fine, so why in a blizzard would the horn start blowing?? ( luckily i've only the "Low" tone working at moment "high" tone failed and due to be fixed under warranty by OPC, was picked up at last service, otherwise it probably would have woken whole street, as it was only 2 houses seemed to have lights on)
Any ideas???? :dont know:

Not sure why it went off. But when disconnecting the battery put the key in the ignition and turn to position 1 before disconnecting. This will stop the alarm going off.

MC

It wasn't the alarm going off it was the horn blowing constantly? ( I set alarm off trying disconnect battery) Battery is fully charged according to CTek and started car last week after 4 months first turn so not low voltage???
Was as if someone holding horn down, but its been fine for 2 weeks since re fitted steering wheel. Horn pushes and doesn't appear to be sticking plus its triangular air bag which don't stick apparently? Baffled??

This gets stranger, reconnected battery and now I've got no horn at all??? Is it possible that its the horn itself that's faulty and somehow it shorted out setting it off now its fubar'd?? Gonna have get it sorted MOT due soon!! Trip to OPC in order methinks as its under warranty.

Sounds to me like like a problem with the switch / contact ring within your replacement steering wheel. I'd start there...

Horn contact in the steering wheel when pressed sends an earth to the steering wheel control unit , this sends a can bus message to the front end control unit which in turn sends a feed to both horns .

The horns have a permanent earth to them .

So .. horn contact and 2 control units .

Its been very cold so i am thinking possibly the front end control unit .

Ive seen a few strange faults with these over the years .

I would start by useing a voltrmeter at the horn to see if you actually have a feed there and its not just a failed horn for the inop part of this .

Going off on its own then my first comment .

DeMort, Once again brilliant thanks, that makes the most sense, it was blowing a blizzard and fine snow was covering front of car and radiator apertures were filling up, so obviously related to it, didn't realise how complicated it was to make two horns work,
( I remember when horns had 12v (+) straight to them and steering wheel centre supplied the earth via green wire that came up centre of steering column, no airbags in them days when I was a lad) .
I will book it into OPC tomorrow , hopefully it's covered by warranty.

When I replaced my steering wheel, I forgot to add the two springs that pop out the airbag after you press it. This caused a continuous horn. A quick check would be to remove the airbag and make sure that the two springs are in place. Perhaps one dislodged when you put the airbag in last time.

It had been fine for 2 weeks so reckon if it was anything relating to steering wheel it surely would have happened straight away, it was awfully windy and horrible here last night so reckon DeMort's diagnosis of actual horn or some unit external was cause, hopefully tonight will stay silent!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back