Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes Again

rhino-man

Spa-Francorchamps
Just doing the brakes on mine soon, have Textar pads and Sebro discs as per OEM, new wear sensors but what about other items? When we used Porsche pads last time they came with the anti-vibration shims and calliper bolts etc?

Necessary every time or not?

No.

Calliper bolts don't really need to be changed every time, but Porsche recommends that they are for a reason (they are designed to stretch when torqued and thus are fundamentally consumable). In short - they won't last for an unlimited number of changes so while (provided that they are not over-torqued at any point) you don't need to replace every time, more than 2 or 3 uses would be considered brave. :thumb:

I've had my rear calipers off at least 4 times with the same bolts and they were the ones the car had when I bought it. I've always failed to see why reusing these bolts should be an issue.

Rhinoman, consider fitting braded brake lines and a good brake fluid not cheapo stuff. IMO these little and not expensive things are worth doing , you never know when that extra 10/15 ft stopping distance may save your life :thumb: :thumb:

My cars still under warranty at the moment and the brake fluid was only done last year. I do some trackdays so have worn the oem pads since last June ~ 7000 miles in total with 5 or 6 track days so not too bad. I thought I'd throw Textar/Sebro in this time because they will likely be worn out before the next 111 point chaeck is due in July next year and go go back to oem again then.

Caliper bolts I wont bother this time then but do next. Its the cost of the anti-vibration shims that prompted me to start this thread.. about £80 for front and rears. :roll:

Just done the brakes on mine. Went for brembo discs and pads. I've got to say that brembo have upped their game a bit over the past couple of years. The discs come well finished with none of that horrible grey primer on them which you have to paint over.

Also re-used the calliper bolts for the x'th time. I also re-use the anti-vibration shims. I put a reasonable amount of copper slip on the back of the pads and slide them in with the shims in situ. Its worked for the past 5 years or so on all my cars...

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back