Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short Shift

SGH

Nurburgring
My C4S is in at OPC having new a/c condensers and sports exhaust valves replaced under warranty but due to parts having to come from Germany will not be getting it back for at least a week :?

I thought as it was there I would get them to fit a short shift kit is this a good or bad move ? Seen online some reports of them making first gear a bu@@er to get into is this true in most cases ?

I certainly find it hard to select 2st and 1st when its cold , I am trying miilers nano gearbox oil this is supposed to help with gear selection but I am not sure your warranty will allow you to do that , but at min they should be ok to give the gearbox oil a change. the other thing to consider is fitting new engine mounts again due to warranty its going to be OE they may let you fit Genuine 993rs mounts if you wanted a stiffer ride you would have to ask . but new engine mounts will also help with gear changes and improve the ride :thumb:

SGH said:
I was looking at just getting shorter throw, if it's going to compromise gear changes then might be best to forget this mod.

Personally mate, drive it a bit enjoy it then make a call as there are various options you may find the throw is not what you want to change but the slop is the issue in which case you may find a GT3 shifter with the metal bushings and the rifle action change is more what your after.on the gen2 the gt3 throw is the same as stock its only shorter when fitted to a 996 as they have a longer throw than the 997 only mentioned this as it gets very confussing when reading reviews on them. :thumb:

My SSK doesn't cause much of an issue getting into 1st and certainly no issue getting into 2nd. Mine isn't an OPC one, its a cheapo ebay one. Makes a massive difference to the shift, much much better, definitely worth doing.

Once it's warmed up no problems at all.

yes agreed once warmed up its perfect :thumb:

I have the factory fitted SSK, on occasions it's a bit notchy getting into first when cold, but it's really not an issue and perfect when a bit of heat gets into it.

I also have the Millers Nano gear oil, no difference noticed over the previous RedLine stuff.

Martian said:
I have the factory fitted SSK, on occasions it's a bit notchy getting into first when cold, but it's really not an issue and perfect when a bit of heat gets into it.

I also have the Millers Nano gear oil, no difference noticed over the previous RedLine stuff.

I had the original from Porsche gear oil so I am hoping the millers is an improvement over that but only a bit of driving will confirm that :thumb:

Redline MTL is the best gearbox oil. If you want to get rid of the hard gear changes when cold, the answer is not the oil but the capacity. Mercedes recommended dropping the amount by 20%. I did this on my CLK and it cured it perfectly. I've also heard of members on here doing it with a 911 and it's also been sucessful.

Disclaimer: If your gearbox gets sh**ged due to reduced oil capacity, don't blame me!

alex yates said:
Redline MTL is the best gearbox oil. If you want to get rid of the hard gear changes when cold, the answer is not the oil but the capacity. Mercedes recommended dropping the amount by 20%. I did this on my CLK and it cured it perfectly. I've also heard of members on here doing it with a 911 and it's also been sucessful.

Disclaimer: If your gearbox gets sh**ged due to reduced oil capacity, don't blame me!

Alex you are a font :grin: I will try that mate, maybe drop it by 10% but not until I am sure it running well . :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Factory fit on mine and while it can feel a bit more notch when cold it goes into gear ok. Once warm it's great, no issues with baulking on any gate and has a very satisfying mechanical feel.

SSK was one of the first mods I did. It was a "must have" for me, and still would be.

I fitted an OE SSK to mine about 6 years ago - love it, one of the best mods I've done to the car!

Ive been running an el cheapo (£32) ebay SSK on mine for the last 2 years. Really quick & easy job to fit yourself. Only a small bit of notchiness occasionally when cold, but the difference is amazing.

rabbitstew said:
Ive been running an el cheapo (£32) ebay SSK on mine for the last 2 years. Really quick & easy job to fit yourself. Only a small bit of notchiness occasionally when cold, but the difference is amazing.

Hi RS,
Did you alter the bushings at all on your SSK? I know some have taken up some slick with shims or washers so it would be good to recap what's what with the installation process for best results.
I have had one of these in a box in the garage for two years but am nervous of notchy cold 'box shifting.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back