Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to me 991.1 C2S Aerokit Cup has arrived! My thoughts..

Raptorace

Well after lots of concern that I'd miss my 997.2, I took the leap and got a 991.1.

I'm surprised at just how different the car is having owned several 997's before.

The 991 has surprised me in many ways, mostly good.

The sound with the sports exhaust is amazing! Even though I had PSE on my last 997, this 991 with PSE sounds 100% better, I'm loving the howl and crackles!

It's certainly a step up in luxury feel too, and the car rides much better on sweepers than the 997's ever did. Fast roads are less tiring and cabin noise is much lower too.

The look of the larger car is great, and even though the size difference isnt huge, it's quite noticeable when parallel parking the first few times. Visibility is not as good as the 997, but maybe that just due to me being 6'4 and the fact the pillar just seems to now be a little more in the way.

The only downsides are that the steering feel, although great, is just not the same as the 997's, but i'm hoping my Porsche dealer may have a software update to help with that. The other downside is the rear end in wet conditions does like to slide more than my 997's, noticeably more, and when it does it seems slightly more hectic to get back into line. Guess I could slow down! but I'm going to try and master it instead!

Overall the 991 feels like its a real leap forward, but at the same time its moved towards a GT feel rather than hairpin howler. I felt the same way when I changed from a Boxster to a 997 many years ago.

Really looking forward to getting many happy miles done in it now, I'm off round Europe on a road trip with some fellow Porsche guys in 6 weeks, so I'll know a lot more when I return.

Attachments

• 2018_02_27_163158_219.png
    2018_02_27_163158_219.png
    788.2 KB · Views: 5,832
  • 2018_02_27_163232_171.png
    2018_02_27_163232_171.png
    786.2 KB · Views: 5,832
  • 2018_02_27_163201_126.png
    2018_02_27_163201_126.png
    795.7 KB · Views: 5,832
What spoiler is that :dont know:

Looks like a ducktail with a wing on it 8)

Stunning car!!!!

:thumb:

Aerokit cup.

Agree. Cracking motor. :thumb:

Stunning car :thumb:

But they have just gotten too big and heavy these days, still fantastic cars, but not my bag anymore, as you say, more of a GT car unfortunately :sad:

Congratulations, looking forward to hear your thoughts after the euro trips :)

kurlykris said:
Stunning car :thumb:

But they have just gotten too big and heavy these days, still fantastic cars, but not my bag anymore, as you say, more of a GT car unfortunately :sad:

:?:

Agree on the GT bit...and that the car IS stunning :thumbs:

So is the Cayman the 'new 911' :dont know:

runaway.gif

That's a really interesting thought. I just looked up all the dimensions from 993, 996, 997, 991, including length, width and wheel base, and yes! The Cayman dimensions are larger than earlier 911's and smaller then later ones, so it sits mid size against the overall average 911 size.

Does make it more of a 911 than a 991? Well I guess it could be argued that its certainly nearer to the original size, but.. it's not mid engined, nor does it have the classic design shape, and it handles a whole lot better than early 911's, so... sort of.

Raptorace said:
Does make it more of a 911 than a 991? Well I guess it could be argued that its certainly nearer to the original size, but.. it's not mid engined, nor does it have the classic design shape, and it handles a whole lot better than early 911's, so... sort of.

The 911 shape is merging into the Panamera shape :grin:

The Cayman shape is more 911 like to me :dont know:

My thoughts anyway :coat:

Congrats on the 991! And the Aero-kit really is the cherry on the cake - adds so much more drama to the car imo.

Please let us know about software updates for the steering - i wasn't aware that such updates existed.

~ Maxie :thumb:

Re: New to me 991.1 C2S Aerokit Cup has arrived! My thoughts

Raptorace said:
The other downside is the rear end in wet conditions does like to slide more than my 997's, noticeably more, and when it does it seems slightly more hectic to get back into line.
Congratulations on the new car. :lol:

Your rear tyres aren't Pirellis?
Have never liked mine. They do exactly the same thing in the wet for me. :nooo:

DRZ911 said:
Raptorace said:
The other downside is the rear end in wet conditions does like to slide more than my 997's, noticeably more, and when it does it seems slightly more hectic to get back into line.

Yes p Zeros all round. I always go for P zeros as they have the best wet rating and never had any issue with them on previous cars, but who knows.

Raptorace said:
DRZ911 said:
Raptorace said:

Yes p Zeros all round. I always go for P zeros as they have the best wet rating and never had any issue with them on previous cars, but who knows.

Congrats on the new car, looks superb.

With regards to the p zeros, I noticed that once the temps drop to around 10 degrees the back can be quite easily provoked into sliding out if the tyres haven't got much heat in them.
In contrast to this I recently did the PEC warm up session at Silverstone and left my winter sotozeros on (the weather up north is cold and I didn't have time to change back to my summers) and the whole the car felt very secure and stable even when pushing on around the tracks.
On the low friction surface tracks the car would push into understeer and took a lot of provocation to get the back to step out.
I'll be changing back to my summers next week so i'll look for a safe opportunity to compare them!
Enjoy your car and road trip :mrgreen:

:yahoo:
Looks like the Michelin PS4S now have a N0 rating for the 991, so I know what I'll be changing to over the next few weeks. :lol:

DRZ911 said:
:yahoo:
Looks like the Michelin PS4S now have a N0 rating for the 991, so I know what I'll be changing to over the next few weeks. :lol:

I think i'll be doing the same once mine are shot.

I love the Aero kit on the 991 and although it is a bit more softer in general I can see me leapfrogging the 997 ( I would have had one already if that was going to happen) and go straight into a 991 (when funds allow)

Raptorace said:

No, the engine is in the correct place, is perfectly balanced and handles predictably. :yawn:

Pirelli's.., I had a set once, never again. In the wet they were all over the place and I had no confidence in them, they just don't seem to suit a 911 as well as Continental or Michelins.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back