Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil/water ? under tyre pump

Jonnywise

Hi
After having a rear spring break wile me c4s was sitting on my drive,I've found another problem.i took the tyre pump out and underneath was a water/oil like liquid,I cleaned it up and a couple of days later check and more liquid was there.it dose not smell of oil and it's not greasy when you rub it between your fingers, but it is thicker than water.
Any ideas ? I have also checked all the water and oil levels and they seem fine.

Cheers Jonny

Oil

Brake pads were changed 2 years ago,and the last time I topped up the screen wash was last summer.i reckon the only way is to strip all the carpet out and start looking. :?:

I cant think of any part of the washer system that could leak in there .. washer pipes and filler tube are all battery side .

Only 3 things i can think of to be honest ..

Brake fluid
Water ingress
Some containor .. extra oil , screen wash thats leaked .

So .. for brake fluid if the pads had been changed its possible some could have spilt into the car .. this could have been a while ago but obviously would be no where near enough from your description . There are brake pipes etc in there as well but if the lvl is correct and the brakes ok ill ignore that .

I think you would know if you had any containors that had leaked so ill ignore that one.

Water ingress .. thats what i think .. i dont suppose you have a Porsche tracker fitted do you ?

My guess is a water leak and maybe a small amount of brake fluid from a while back to give the oilly feeling to it .

Btw .. what was the result of your shock fault ?

Oil/water

Hi demort

It's weird because it's to Thick to be water,yes there is a tracker fitted so you might be on the money.i don't want to take it to a independent as I got ripped off last time.

The bottom of the spring had snapped,so that's why it had gone down the shock.i bought 2 new springs from Porsche and my local mot garage fitted them for £100 cash :thumbs: don't think it was worth going to a independent for that,as you mention it was a easy job.

Cheers Jonny

Aghh thats interesting , rear springs breaking is pretty rare but i guess the cars are getting older so its going to start happening more .

The tracker .. theres a certain grommet o/s/f inside the tub .. pull the carpet back on the front corner so a bit further forward than the fixing for the light unit removal .

You should be able to see part of the chassis and some cables running out a grommet there .. thats the place that i have seen water leaks from in the past .

Pour water so it runs alongside the bonnet seal on the o/s , it will run over the grommet on the outside and if leaking you should see it .

That will help prove that part anyways .. cant think of something thats thicker in there though :( you could take some pictures but im not sure that would help much.

Shame you havent had the best of experiences with your indy .. also a shame im so far from you ! .

Oil

Yer got proper ripped off, 5 hrs labour to diagnose a none working fuel pump :eek: the funny thing was, I think I was on here and the guys said it was the fuel pump.i told the Indy this from the start,also said I needed a new clutch,I had a bill for one fitted a year before lol.

Brighton is 40mins from me I go there a fare bit.

Thanks for putting the time in to replie to my post
Il have a look at the grommet and see what I can find

Cheers Jonny

+1 for that grommet. My C4s had exactly that problem. Grommet hadn't been replaced properly after Porsche tracker was fitted apparently and jet-washing the wheel arch was pushing water/ shampoo into the frunk.

Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back