Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen2 Oil

kaypaul

My 3.8 Gen2 will have an oil and filter change next month. Mileage is 42000 and has had Mobil 1 0W40 since new I would like to stay with the Mobil brand as i can obtain within the trade what grade would be best for this next service?

:floor: :floor: Even though I am an advocate of using millers nano oil in our cars , I fully get why you want to stay with mobil1 so contrary to my usual reply to this question, I am going to agree with Iain use 5w40 , but with the proviso that you promise to change it annually or at 10k mile intervals and when you go over 50k at the next change you move to a 10w50 oil.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Mobil 5-40 in my cars :thumb:

What's the difference between NT and XF?

Am thinking of switching to millers at my 57k service in a couple of weeks.

10w50 in mine, Used to use about 1 litre per 2000 miles. Now it doesn't use any.

OPCs will always use 0w40, but Mobil do also do Porsche certified (A40) oil in 5w40 and 5w50 too. If it is being used through the cold season then there is not really a reason to diverge from what Porsche would fill it with but there is no reason not to use 5w40 and if you were going to do track work then the 5w50 would be more appropriate.

When mine used to do a fair bit of summer continental track time I used to have Castrol 10w60 in it (no short runs and warming the engine up properly become even more important down that route), but that won't be appropriate for most.

So bit more about my car and how it gets used seems to be in order!

2007 C2S Cabrio, which gets used most days all year round, but quite often for shortish trips to the shops. I work from home so not a commuting car. Most of the time I will go slightly further than I need to to warm it up properly before going home, but don't always. It rarely sits in traffic. It does use some oil, but at the moment I use Mobil 1 0w 40.

So what should I use bearing in mind it does do short runs?

cheers

I still advocate millers 10w50 as thats what I used in both gen1 and gen2 and I drive very similar to you , its a daily doing various distances , it gets in traffic jams etc.
But if you are at all worried then use the millers 5w40 NT+ as it has all the same technoligy and its what Hartech use when running in their rebuilds before advising moving to 10w50

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-20600...MI-Kzo3fTh2QIVA8AYCh3HZguXEAQYBCABEgJ9LPD_BwE

But I am sure with 79k on the clock Hartech would be suggesting if it was their car they would be using millers 10w50 but a call to them would confirm

I am not sure Discos post was aimed at you , I think it was aimed at the OP mate and his desire to stay with mobil1

Phil 997 said:
I am not sure Discos post was aimed at you , I think it was aimed at the OP mate and his desire to stay with mobil1

Indeed :thumb:

Morning all.

After a long drive I have recently done in the car I checked the oil on the computer and for the first time since own the car the oil is showing just under minimum level.

If I was to wait a a couple of weeks and get a full oil change am I doing any damage by not topping up? If I topped it up how much should I put in?

2nd question: my car is at 53k miles when I change the oil what should I use.? My is a daily usually short- medium journeys.

Thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back