Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 16
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 29
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 20
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Stoo.c
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also managed to get my engine/gearbox combo out in one go on a garage floor - I have always used the bread carts to wheel around engines as they are only a few cm off the ground - surprisingly strong - think mine came from Coop if that helps Smile

I was on axle stands and didn't quite have enough room so actually lifted the back of the chassis up with my engine hoist wrapped around the rear impact bar. Lifted a few inches off of the rear axle stands and pulled the engine out.

I realise this isnt exactly a scientific way of doing things but it worked and was my first attempt at removing a Porsche engine as I'm used to engines coming out through the top.

Need to take a Boxster engine out now and have decided to buy a lift instead as I cant be bothered to scramble around on the floor anymore.
01 986 Boxster S

Kingb4
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoo.c wrote:
I also managed to get my engine/gearbox combo out in one go on a garage floor - I have always used the bread carts to wheel around engines as they are only a few cm off the ground - surprisingly strong - think mine came from Coop if that helps Smile

I see you are fairly local to me (am Leighton Buzzard) - I have just got a lift fitted. You are welcome to have a look.
(I would also cheekily pick your brains on removing my engine)

Jamesx19
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car now up on axle stands.

The stands at the front are standard 2 ton ones bought a while ago from Halfords. They reach 42 cm tall at max extension. The rears are "Wolf 6 ton ratchet" items bought from ebay for £33 for the pair inc delivery. They can go up to 24" or 59cm.

I have lifted the rear of the car (measured from inside the pu rear bumper onto the bottom of the rear impact bar) from 38cm to 79cm i.e. 41 cm.

The rear axle stands are set at about 50cm high to achieve this.

Trolley that I'm going to use to put engine on is in the foreground. Its a crawler with a substantial wooden frame built to support and spread the load on the sump and gearbox.

I had to lift the car in stages.

1.) Lift rear and place on small red axle stands
2.) Lift front and place on front axle stands.
3.) Lift rear again and fully extend the small axle stands.
4.) Lift front on the chassis (Well protected with wooden block) and fully extend front axle stands.
5.) Lift rear again and place on large axle stands
6.) Place block of wood under rear chassis and lift rear again to extend rear axle stands more......

I have a cheap 2 ton trolley jack. One with a rubber pad, and larger lifting range would be a lot easier..

Hope this assist a few of you lifting the car

Cheers

DrJimBone
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to drop the engine in my Cayman soon (ish - I don't like the cold).

My plan was to get one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISSOR-LIFT-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-RAMP-MID-RISE/263532469381?hash=item3d5bc25c85

Anyone had any experience with them?

dporto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my engine and rolled it from under the car with 25.5" (647.7 mm) clear between the bottom of the oil sump and the floor. I did this with a scissor type transmission jack and a hydraulic table beneath the engine. The table itself is 4 or 5" tall when fully lowered and I used a couple pieces of 1/2" wodd under the rails/sides of the sump so the full weight of the engine woudn't be resting directly on the plate. ** The rear bumper cover and aluminum bumper bar were both removed as well. Good luck[/img]

B91D6180-4A89-4917-AFF7-001B836650E0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Viewed:  1993 Time(s)

B91D6180-4A89-4917-AFF7-001B836650E0.jpeg

E3DF3011-6058-425F-B03F-CB33E8B61E3A.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  1993 Time(s)

E3DF3011-6058-425F-B03F-CB33E8B61E3A.jpeg

Fastlane
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrJimBone wrote:
I'm planning to drop the engine in my Cayman soon (ish - I don't like the cold).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISSOR-LIFT-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-RAMP-MID-RISE/263532469381?hash=item3d5bc25c85

That looks good value but I'd be concerned that you can't use the actual jacking points. The ones that allow this are around £1500. Se this thread: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125532
1992 Zermatt Silver 964 turbo
1991 Midnight Blue 964 turbo
1994 Guards Red 968 Sport
1987 Baltic Blue 928 S4 auto

Jamesx19
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dporto. Good information there. I only have 530mm gap under the sump and my trolley is 130mm tall.

I suspect I will have to go up another 25mm to be sure of clearing the rear impact bar.

DrJimBone
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a few of us need engines out! Damn!! Floor Floor

FZP
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at these threads and shake my head with amazement and awe. Well played to those of you who are capable. Changing out my exhaust is as much as I’m willing to risk.
Bow

maldren
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamesx19 wrote:
I have a cheap 2 ton trolley jack. One with a rubber pad, and larger lifting range would be a lot easier..
Cheers

I use a piece of rubber cut from the tread of a scrap tyre, it sits on the metal cup and makes a great protector for whatever I am lifting.

I also have some of the Porsche pads that slot into the jacking points but I don't usually use them

Kingb4
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrJimBone wrote:

I spent a while looking round, before I bought my scissor lift.
I contemplated one of the lifts you linked to, as they are cheap and the youtube videos look impressive. I really liked they flexibility of them and the ease of storage etc. However I also read some stories of threads stripping etc. Assuming you always put extra supports in (axle stands etc.) before going under, it might be viable....I definitely wouldn't trust it alone (same for any lifting device)

I would very careful removing an engine from a car, while its on the tilting lift, as the CG would shift entirely. Not sure how the tilt-lift would respond.

DrJimBone
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingb4 wrote:

I spent a while looking round, before I bought my scissor lift.
I contemplated one of the lifts you linked to, as they are cheap and the youtube videos look impressive. I really liked they flexibility of them and the ease of storage etc. However I also read some stories of threads stripping etc. Assuming you always put extra supports in (axle stands etc.) before going under, it might be viable....I definitely wouldn't trust it alone (same for any lifting device)

I would very careful removing an engine from a car, while its on the tilting lift, as the CG would shift entirely. Not sure how the tilt-lift would respond.

I'm lucky in that I have a pit in my garage, so my plan was to lift the car then lower onto axle stands (keeping the tilt lift in place as added support). I'd then be confident that any movement or CG shift wouldn't risk the car falling. Especially when the wheels are off and the PCCB disks would take most of the impact (my head non-withstanding) Wink

Stoo.c
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingb4 wrote:
Stoo.c wrote:

I see you are fairly local to me (am Leighton Buzzard) - I have just got a lift fitted. You are welcome to have a look.
(I would also cheekily pick your brains on removing my engine)

Send me a message perhaps and we could arrange something Smile
01 986 Boxster S

Jamesx19
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Engine out Reply with quote

Just an update:

Thanks to comments and pictures from forum members, I raised rear of the car on the stands to a mighty 82CM from the floor.

Engine and gearbox is out. Some pictures below:

I wasn't expecting to get it done today, however a certain Mr Demort ..........Mechanic
popped over, and very kindly assisted, (or rather I assisted him) extract the engine from the car.

You will note the use of an engine crane as opposed to the ATV jack / trolley that I was originally planning to use. This is Infrasilver's method, and I think ideal. The main benefit is that it has a much greater range of movement than the hydraulic ATV trolley / jack, and it also finds its own balance point, so your not in danger of the weight of the engine toppling a jack. Though follow Infrasilver's method of securing the left (passenger) side, as it otherwise it sits lower than the right side when lowering the engine down.

Demort seemed to think that a picture of my tool kit would amuse you! I didn't get it in a Christmas cracker honest. But I suppose it does demonstrate that some quite basic tools are all that is required...

Very big thanks to Demort, Cheers

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a pleasure to meet you James and for me an enjoyable afternoon .

Tool kit was .. interesting shall we say but just goes to show people that only a few tools are required to drop an engine .. good Porsche design i would have to say .

Ill bring a Torque wrench and a few tools come reinstalling time though lol .

One thing i did think of after i left .. remove the crank angle sensor .. best if done while the box is out just in case we have problems refitting .. we can refit it after we install the engine .

Dam mate .. thats a hell of a hill you live on .. the bike slid out when i got on it !!!!

Rebuild choices are now yours Very Happy

Cheers for a fun day .. tommorow its boreing .. i have to do it for a living .. sigh .

Ohhh and yes .. i did use the hammer !

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

wasz
Sepang

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!

Whats up with the engine meaning it had to come out?

MisterCorn
Long Beach

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work guys.

MC

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressed considering the tool kit Thumb time for some upgrades.

I'm glad some of the tips helped, it took me a few engine drops to find the best and safest way.

Jamesx19
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Socket set is now nearly 30 years old. Think I've got my moneys worth from it!

Wasz - I'm planning a separate post to discuss, but potentially nothing. However, there have been a couple of things that have bothered me which made me question whether I plan to keep the car. There simply isn't anything else I want (that I can afford). As Demort said earlier today, and I agree. If I sell this one and get another, I'll just eventually end up at the same point I am now. I want a car to use and enjoy rather than keep in the garage as an 'investment'. So going to send the engine to Hartech for a re-fresh, and maybe a few upgrades.
Thumb

dporto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine out Reply with quote

Jamesx19 wrote:
Just an update:

Thanks to comments and pictures from forum members, I raised rear of the car on the stands to a mighty 82CM from the floor.

Engine and gearbox is out. Some pictures below:

I wasn't expecting to get it done today, however a certain Mr Demort ..........Mechanic
popped over, and very kindly assisted, (or rather I assisted him) extract the engine from the car.

You will note the use of an engine crane as opposed to the ATV jack / trolley that I was originally planning to use. This is Infrasilver's method, and I think ideal. The main benefit is that it has a much greater range of movement than the hydraulic ATV trolley / jack, and it also finds its own balance point, so your not in danger of the weight of the engine toppling a jack. Though follow Infrasilver's method of securing the left (passenger) side, as it otherwise it sits lower than the right side when lowering the engine down.

Demort seemed to think that a picture of my tool kit would amuse you! I didn't get it in a Christmas cracker honest. But I suppose it does demonstrate that some quite basic tools are all that is required...

Very big thanks to Demort, Cheers

Good Job! (Demort too... Wink . RE: Tools - sometimes I wish I had less than I do (sort of). I'm always amazed when I'm done with a job, just how many tools I've used - it literally takes me an hour or so just to wipe them down and put everything back in it's place, and Ioften do this while I'm working as well (if it's something I won't be using again)... I'm somewhat of a "tool nut", but I don't buy stuff just to have it (I've been in friends garages that look like hardware/tool stores, but nothing ever moves and no "work" gets done...) - I use everything I buy, albeit some quite a bit more than others. All this being said, often times there is no good substitute for the proper tool both from a safety standpoint as well as an efficacy one. Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: