Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''m Exhausted

Urban Ranger

First dealership experience and a disappointing one.

My back boxes are in such a state I don't believe they'll pass the MOT. So always planned to replace them with OEM this time of year. Booked my 997 in for the much needed PSE exhaust to be replaced two weeks in advance, along with a major service and MOT that runs out this Saturday the 10th March. The day before it's due in, the dealership call to say only one exhaust box has arrived, do I still want them to fit it and then come back for the other one once it's arrived. Work and all that, getting time to come back again I said no call me when it's arrived.

Well three weeks has passed and if it wasn't for me calling them I'd have received no contact. The poor girl I've been dealing with has clearly been told to keep telling me she's no idea what's going on, it's very unusual and all that, she has no information on expected arrival date. One call to my independent and it turns out the PSE exhaust is on worldwide back order. In effect Porsche has no supplies and is waiting for enough orders to place them with their or a manufacturer.

So having been a member of this forum for a little while but followed it for an age it appears the advice, for me at least of not going near the stealership should have been heeded.

I'm at a loss as why the dealership couldn't just tell me the real situation. I'm now faced with putting it through an MOT and hope it passes. If it doesn't I'll have to sorn it until I can arrange the replacement of the exhaust. :dont know:

Sad to hear but this is where OPC are limited...they have to follow the Porsche process. Indies on the other hand do not. I would speak with a few indies and see if any of them have something or know someone as there appear to be plenty of people around swapping out for noisier aftermarket options. Defo worth considering options for sure.

Process shouldn't override customer care is my only issue. Understand parts can run out or demand dictates it's not viable to keep stocks, especially as you say people are getting aftermarket ones these days.

Surely Porsche can treat its customers better and treat them with the intelligence to understand the issue they are faced with, managing our expectations is the business phrase I believe. :?:

You could ask them to do a dealer trace .. if theres any in the country then this would flag who has one .

Back orders seem to be coming more and more often .. ive seen several this year alone .. on time production i guess .. only ever enough parts to fill production cars with little held in stock by Porsche .

If theres none in the country then theres little an OPC can do .. they rely on Porsche im afraid .

Porsche dont tend to tell the OPC any more than they would you .

Back order = When Porsche feel like sorting the problem ... and thats never in a hurry .

That is a very poor show from the opc concerned, i feel your pain. Individuals at certain opc have fallen way short of my basic reasonable expectations in the past.

Communication is key , and it would appear some staff do not have the time, spine and motivation to pick up the phone and say sorry but......

I would risk it and go for mot as is , you never know it may pass !

If it fails the mot, consider fitting a decent used non pse muffler just to get the pass on mot,

Demand some compo from opc for the hassle , dis service and poor show,
Free mot (s) for starters and labour for fitting used muffler.

They dont like fitting used parts but under the circumstances -f8ck 'em

Good luck , first get some apologies on an email and go from there.

Agreed. I have had my car into OPC twice since I had it. The first was a horrible experience when the PDK died and I needed recovery. Porsche Assistance were top notch but I needed to call OPC on several occasions to chase for updates as they didn't call as promised. It felt like a stalling tactic at the time and seems to be the case when anything falls off the procedural line, they just can't seem to admit when it is not possible to meet expectations or sh7t happens. I would much prefer the transparent but personal approach myself.

While I would like to think most people within the OPC network are trying there does seem to be something leading them in the wrong direction. Because of how my experiences with OPC have made me feel I am increasingly becoming more reliant on my indie, Kev at DW Performance. The value of the warranty is diminished when it's just too much hassle in the long run.

Hope you find a solution soon or your OPC surprise you, perhaps they can do the MOT?

Cheers guys. You're all right it's a punt for the MOT and stuff the main dealer, with a come on Porsche is this how you treat customers email rant to them.

Well everdays a lesson I always say so lesson learnt from this one.

Give them a good clean up and coat of Hammerite, should tide you over for the test!

Have you tried Carnewal?

Robertb said:
Give them a good clean up and coat of Hammerite, should tide you over for the test!

Have you tried Carnewal?

Yeah. Spent ages looking at the various aftermarket options and the only one that meets what I'd like is OEM or a Haywood and Scott made to order.

Well Tuesdays the day of MOT reckoning. Vanity Wagon for spring or Sorn misery.

Mine is due to be fitted on 19th March. I may be in a similar situation then. OPC have not mentioned anything yet with regards to back order.

arifg said:
Mine is due to be fitted on 19th March. I may be in a similar situation then. OPC have not mentioned anything yet with regards to back order.

You may be lucky and they're available by then or your OPC has sourced and has it already. Let me know how you fare and hope it's not the same situation as mine.

Urban Ranger said:
Robertb said:

Have you tried Carnewal?

Yeah. Spent ages looking at the various aftermarket options and the only one that meets what I'd like is OEM or a Haywood and Scott made to order.

Well Tuesdays the day of MOT reckoning. Vanity Wagon for spring or Sorn misery.

Have you not looked at a topgear stainless valvetronic exhaust its lighter adds BHP but effectively is the same as a PSE but less than half the price . there are guys that have even wired it to the PSE button . well worth a call to Alex to discuss they will also give you 10% off although there is a group buy forming on here which Alex has agreed to 15% and maybe more if enough orders come in they have a lifetime you own the car warranty can be fitted through there franchise network nationwide or by your indy.
You should give that serious consideration unless it just has to be OE in which case :dont know:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=126107

heres a very early vid of just the sports valved boxes on my car before I fitted any other mods 200 cell cats, headers engine mods or the aerokit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8rQLPjFfw

Long gone are the days Porsche being a small niche manufacturer of sports cars. Having produced some 230K 996 & 250K 997 models and a model range from 2 seat convertibles to SUV's they are just a main stream car manufacturer of expensive automobiles. I am amazed they cannot source an exhaust system for their franchised dealer network.

Thanks Phil. Was hoping you'd appear with your knowledge.

I have had a look at top gear and followed the thread you've mentioned. Discounted these but only because whilst I'm proud I don't want to be loud. Live in as I'm sure many people do a very quiet estate and my early morning start ups need to be quiet.

I'm going to take another look at the options mind you.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back