Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Selling my turbo - does this sound iffy to you??

NickHappy

Montreal
I've got my 996 turbo up for sale as have an ideal opportunity for a 997 turbo. I know these cars may attract an overseas buyer and I've had an enquiry from someone abroad. Before they make the trip they have requested scans of the service records which I can understand however, I've had the below

"Service records primarily. Want to see how may of the typical issues have arisen and been dealt with. I am relatively familiar with the issues the turbos go through. Coolant leaks, clutch slave cylinders etc. Like to know where this one is up to before I plan a trip. The import rules here are also difficult so I have my importer doing checks and will need VIN etc. If you can photograph the build label that will assist."

What are the thoughts??

So from the normal human in me, his response is normal and doing due diligence.
The crook in me says he's profiling you and wants copies of the service records once they knock it off and use them to sell to an unsuspecting punter.
You'd be surprised the info you can scrape together with a little bit of effort.
It's most likely the first tbh.

I can't see anything there to be suspicious of ...... yet.

Where is the potential buyer based?

997 Turbo eh. I knew you'd crack eventually. :D

T8 said:
I can't see anything there to be suspicious of ...... yet.

Where is the potential buyer based?

997 Turbo eh. I knew you'd crack eventually. :D

Cheers Terry, Oz.

If you know anybody in the mkt. for a decent 996T point them this way, I'm keen to get into the 997 :D

I think they're reasonable - I've provided a lot of info but can't see how I could myself in jeopardy if the worst were to happen..... :dont know:

I agree Nick ,at this point I cant see where the risk to you would be , worst that could happen is they clone your info and use it on another car to con them. but theres not much anyone can do to stop that and you would hope that any other buyer would spot the scam in there due dil . :thumb:

Where is this car destined to be going? I'm assuming a country that drives on the left.
As Phil says if they clone your car that still doesn't really effect you as yours is obviously the original one.
If this starts to build up to the bit where they send you an extra £1000 to cover shipping etc then run a mile!!
You seem to be on your guard and that is the key thing, if it smells iffy drop it like a hot one.

Only rest I can see at this point is that the service records have your address on them.

However, if I were selling a car I'd have to give any potential buyer my address anyway.

If you're wary put all the history on a spreadsheet and send that to him.
Date
Mileage
Work carried out
Dealer / indie carrying out the work
Cost

He can look at the actual invoices when he, or his agent, views the car.

Sounds reasonable to me. It's what I'd ask for if distance was an issue.

Do a little background search on the potential buyer, companies house (or equivalent), linkedin etc See if the info you have ties up.

GLWYS

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmacleod
Back