Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

cold weather should i

PDCC4S

Evening

As the weather is so bad at the moment my C4s has been tucked away in the garage for about a week so my question is,

Should I run the car for 20 mins half hour every few days as im not driving it on the roads. will this do any harm to the engine as ive read on the interweb it may cause bore score to the engine? obviously I would not rev the engine until the oil has heated & my next thought is that the battery would need fresh charge put into it.

Look forward to your comments

PDCC4S.

I'd get it on to a trickle charger asap and not start it again until I was ready to drive it.

NB: If you haven't got a trickle charger I'd leave the frunk on the latch so if the battery goes flat you won't need to fret about opening it.

In my opinion, no point in running the car on idle in the garage. Apart from the emission of carbon monoxide which is poisonous and other pollutants, it is also a waste of fuel.

Best to put it on a CTEK charger if you are worried about the battery losing charge over time.

Cars often spend 6 monthes or more in storage .. they sit on a trickle charger and are fine when used after that .

If you PM me your email addy ill sent you a little info on it.

my Tiv lives in the garage for the winter months (steel backbone chassis and no traction control) I have it on a Ctech charger, periodically I back it out and tootle up the road; it makes sure that the oil and grease gets spread about and help the tyres from deforming by not moving for months

I would say there is no benefit in running it, I would agree that it could do more harm than good... most engine wear occurs after cold start, and they warm up much quicker when gently driven.

I've used this late winter spell to give my 4S a really good exterior detail, and little jobs such as painting the brake hubs and wheel bolts, and polishing the headlights.

Shizen - my 996 battery is 100% flat and bonnet is locked,,,,,I did not put it on trickle charge DOH Idiot !!! only 4 days since i have driven it ffs

How do i release the bonnet without power (car is unlocked)?? i have done a forum search but have no relevant returns but know there are some somewhere....can some one point me to the instructions for the cable tie pull thing please ??

Car is tightly parked but i should be able to roll it out for relevant access !

Help me please

FRP said:
Shizen - my 996 battery is 100% flat and bonnet is locked,,,,,I did not put it on trickle charge DOH Idiot !!! only 4 days since i have driven it ffs

How do i release the bonnet without power (car is unlocked)?? i have done a forum search but have no relevant returns but know there are some somewhere....can some one point me to the instructions for the cable tie pull thing please ??

Car is tightly parked but i should be able to roll it out for relevant access !

Help me please
You can use a cigarette lighter charger provided its live with the ignition off. My 996 is currently sitting in my garage with a ctek trickle charger connected to the cigarette lighter socket and I don't foresee any problems when I come to start it.

Agreed, both my 911s are on Ctech Trickle Chargers, for months at a time.

Thanks all. I am just so dam lazy. Or read stupid. Just did not connect the ctek and therefore only blame myself. Both sides of the inner arch removed but could not find the pull cable. DOH. So went to Halfords and bought a jump pack and connected to the fuse box = happy dayzzz. All sorted or at least the bonnet open and now battery on charge. Ctek showing no 5 on its display at present

Thanks for all the advice and Terry for giving me the thread link

update Double DOH

I had left all the interior items connected to the cigarette charger.

Window does not even move now when i open the door, it did when i started to charge the battery
Ctek stuck with only No 5 light lit IE not 1,2,3,4, and 5 as it cycles

So DISCONNECTED the the interior electrical items (vbox, vbox Video HD, interior camera etc), reset ctek and started to cycle/charge again.

Lights 1, 2, 3 and 4 became lit instantly ?

Fingers crossed i have not destroyed my battery,,,,its only 3 years old

Annoyed is an understatement

If i wanted a GOOD quality battery for a 996 tt, what is peoples reccomendations?

Appreciate it

Have a good Sunday !!!

PS noticed some bird Sh1te on the car, (been there for 5 days from my run out to Rye) cleaned it off but it has left a huge mark

Tripple DOH

FRP said:
If i wanted a GOOD quality battery for a 996 tt, what is peoples reccomendations?

Bosch S5 85 amps - 5 year warranty, £141? "Factory fitted optional M197 stronger battery."

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4...b7346cbe00b1dbca8279a074604cf80c58cb93&000020

444771108.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back