Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 996 AWD system (C4/C4s/Turbo), Snow & PSM

Alex

Nordschleife
This has been discussed in depth a couple of years ago but seeing as I had a play in the snow today to test my AWD system I thought I'd resurrect the topic.

If nothing else, you all get to have a laugh at my expense when I fall on my 4rse at the end of the video.

So, you're driving your AWD 996 in the snow and ice and want to know what the best option is for getting up that hill. Well, the problem with PSM is, as soon as one set of wheel starts spinning, the PSM takes over, limits the revs and applies brakes where necessary. No good if you want to get those front wheels putting some effort in as the VC will only come into play when the dilatant fluid in it starts shearing and puts the front axles in motion, which is never with the PSM activated.
Deactivate the PSM and you can spin the engine up way past 2k rpm (which is where the PSM will limit it at), spin up those back wheels and start sending some serious spinning in that VC, causing the front wheel to start doing something.

I'll not waffle much more about it, but here's a quick clip I made today showing it.

Run 1 - PSM deactivated. Revs get high and fronts start spinning giving the car that extra up hill umph required.

Run 2 - PSM activated. Revs get limited at 2k, brakes applied, etc. and car trickles along with minimal to no power thrust up front.

Run 3 - Alex falls on his backside and makes a teet of himself.

Enjoy!! :thumbs:

Right, where's that boozer! :drink:

Priceless end to this!

Quality vid mate. You've not been listening to the advice. Walk like a Penguin :floor: :floor: :floor:
Look forward to giving you a solid ribbing about it at Oulton :thumb:

Great vid! You need PSM for yourself.

On or off, it didn't seem to make much difference how quickly it made it up the hill?

First run sounded better :thumbs: I'd have edited slip over out 😀

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Good video nonetheless!

You might get £250 off Harry Hill for that one sunshine :grin:
Informative vid though, well done :thumb:

Halcyon said:
On or off, it didn't seem to make much difference how quickly it made it up the hill?

Not seen so much in my video but on a steeper incline the car wouldn't get anywhere. The rears would spin and engine top out at 2k rpm, not working the VC enough to make it send power to the fronts. See this original Russian guy prove the theory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back