Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How does the PSE work and what is drone

ianbadams

I've just replaced my 2001 Boxster S (3.2) original PSE with a custom made stainless steel exhaust. Needed cats replaced as well.

Just wondering if someone could explain how the original PSE operated in terms of the valves and bypass pipes to the super sound tips?

Id describe it as having a quiet rumble up to about 3000 rpm at which point it started to open up and get louder and sporty sounding. I guess that's the reason for the valves?

The new stainless steel (no valves) is much louder and feels constant. I do like it. But seems to be a lot louder at low rpms. And I wonder if people would describe it as having a drone between 2000/3000. It's like a constant ringing through your head and what you'd feel like on a plane when after a while youd want to swallow to depressurise your ears (Haha random example). Does that sound like what people would call resonance or drone? (is drone regarded as bad or is it just a given sometimes with an exhaust ?)

I guess I quite like it as it make the car sound really sporty now but is just different I suppose to the original where you could be cruising along not realising youre in a Porsche... Which I kind of don't see the point of.

Hi Ian, what make is it , who fitted it as certain brands do give more cabin drone than others, also poor fitting can sometimes cause a droney vibration .
there are valvetronic versions which work like PSE does with two settings.
have you changed the induction at all or fitted sports air filters. very hard to suggest things without hearing it up close.
if it was custom made for you can they fit a valved option to it for you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vacuum-E...m=272908496371&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-...805847?hash=item3f85449c57:g:YooAAOSw7cxZnrER

these links are the type of bits they need to fit into your set up , there are full kits about this is just what I found quickly , the work on a remote key fob not a dash button although guys on here have made it work off the dash buttons and there are threads about it on here.

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back