Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OEM PSE vs Hayward Scott

arifg

Trainee
Hi

I want to retrofit PSE on 997.2 Carrera 4s.
Price quoted by Porsche Garage is £2565.
Hayward Scott have quoted £650 approx.
Obviously big price difference
However the OEM will be switchable and probably not affect the 2 year warranty, maybe better resale value.

In the long run it may be better?
Any advise would be much appreciated.

In my experience of many guys on here etc even if you retro fit a PSE you will still want the H&S bypass, but idf your sold on PSE call around the OPCs as they do differ on price and you should be able to save yourself 3/400 also are you getting the 10% discount for club members off that price you just need to ask for it .
My 2p would be get the H&S first and if your happy with that perfect and just put the rear 3rd box back on at resale if your feel the need . PSE wont add much to the resale you wouldnt get your money back.
if you want a bit more after fitting the H&S then options are
stainless sports boxes
carenwal internal mod
gundo hack
all much much cheaper than retro fitting PSE
stainless boxes can be put back to stock for resale.

I would get along to some meets and listen to what guys have done and decide what note you like as it is a personal thing. :thumb:

What exactly are Haywood & Scott offering for £650? I'm pretty sure it won't be a PSE equivalent. Probably just their centre silencer bypass pipe & fitting.

I have a H&S bypass and although it sounds better than without, it needs rear silencers to be modified to be comparable to PSE. You can either do a 'gundo hack', 'banana mod', or 'Carnewal mod'. Each of these reduces the gas flow through the silencing baffles in the back boxes by various amounts.

Neither mod will affect the longevity of the car, but non OEM will at the very least invalidate any exhaust related OPC warranty claim, but most likely invalidate any OPC warranty claim. It's not the kind of thing you want to remove when it goes for a service either.

If I were in your position (and didn't have OPC warranty) I would do a gundo hack or banana mod to your back boxes (£250 ish), then get a centre bypass if you want more..... and different air filter for a marginal further increase.

If your warranty is OPC you have only one choice.

I think a lot of the problem is coz the engine is way behind you in a 911, (And the DFI engine sounds like a sewing machine).

James

Thanks
I have not decided yet. Lot of positive reviews for H&S bypass. Probably that would be enough for me.
In reality I was wondering is there any benefit of the PSE retrofit over the H&S?

James M-S said:
What exactly are Haywood & Scott offering for £650? I'm pretty sure it won't be a PSE equivalent. Probably just their centre silencer bypass pipe & fitting.

I have a H&S bypass and although it sounds better than without, it needs rear silencers to be modified to be comparable to PSE. You can either do a 'gundo hack', 'banana mod', or 'Carnewal mod'. Each of these reduces the gas flow through the silencing baffles in the back boxes by various amounts.

Neither mod will affect the longevity of the car, but non OEM will at the very least invalidate any exhaust related OPC warranty claim, but most likely invalidate any OPC warranty claim. It's not the kind of thing you want to remove when it goes for a service either.

If I were in your position (and didn't have OPC warranty) I would do a gundo hack or banana mod to your back boxes (£250 ish), then get a centre bypass if you want more..... and different air filter for a marginal further increase.

If your warranty is OPC you have only one choice.

I think a lot of the problem is coz the engine is way behind you in a 911, (And the DFI engine sounds like a sewing machine).

James

very good point James I had forgotten to mention fitting BMC sports filters in the airbox that will give a nice induction howl. :thumb:

I've literally just been through this last month. The PSE cost is not worth it in my opinion. I have a 997.2 Carrera and have taken Phil's advice by changing the air filters (£130 ish) and having the rear silencer replaced by Hayward and Scott X pipes. I am really pleased, the sound is great when accelerating but completely standard at cruising speed (lovely and quiet!) and the engine seems to rev better.

I'm holding back on the gundo hack until I've been in a car the same at cruising speed to check there's no additional drone. But I've listened to them online revving and they sound awesome.

I also have the rear silencer in the garage should anyone want it when I come to sell, but I doubt it SS the car sounds very 'natural' in the current state.

I'd fit PSE and then add a bypass. Mine is Sharkwerks, but same idea.

H and S are offering the centre silencer bypass pipe & fitting.
I have a 2 year OPC warranty. In that case maybe best to go for the PSE retrofit.
The 10% discount - is it for forum members- forgive my ignorance

arifg said:
H and S are offering the centre silencer bypass pipe & fitting.
I have a 2 year OPC warranty. In that case maybe best to go for the PSE retrofit.
The 10% discount - is it for forum members- forgive my ignorance

If your sold on PSE then thats what you need to do, but its a lot of money to be still underwhelmed with the exhaust note , but ultimately its your call.
the 10% OPC discount was originally for PCGB members but it seems to have been extended to any club/forum members as they dont ask for any proof and happily offer it if asked :thumb:

With OPC warranty you're stuck (you may get lucky and find a used PSE on eBay)

EDIT: by the time I wasn't being distracted and actually posted this, everything I said had already been said :oops:

Obviously it's not comparing like for like, with the PSE being the OEM switchable system with valves on the main silencers, whereas the system H&S has quoted approx £650 for sounds like their crossover pipes that replace the rear centre silencer (nice side effect is it saves some weight).

The PSE has more effect and is a desireable option for 997.2, cars with PSE would sell more quickly, probably increases value too, so not quite as expensive as it seems.

The H&S bypass is simple and somewhat effective. It is reversible, but you wouldn't be able to renew a Porsche Warranty with it fitted and they wouldn't cover you for any exhaust issues with it fitted to your car either. In fact they wouldn't be to impressed if you turned up expecting warranty cover for anything connected to the exhaust, like the engine!

If warranty isn't a concern, many people with PSE also have a bypass like the H&S fitted, the two work well together to make a 997.2 sound quite aggressive with overrun pops etc. I did on mine :thumb:

Thanks all
Very helpful. I will go for a PSE to start with, once the warranty period is over, I will probably have a H&S bypass.

Hi mate
Common complaint regarding 997.2 exhaust. I couldn't justify the OPC price of PSE. I scoured eBay for an H&S/Sharkwerks pipe. Tucked away in the back of eBay I found a second hand full Tubi exhaust system. I did the swap over myself but it took 1.5 days due to the rusty bolts. I've kept the original system to put back go factory in the future.
The difference in noise is phenomenal but must be used with care as its very loud under full load. Keep searching eBay and you might get lucky with a second hand PSE via dismantler.
The warranty is your issue so your plan needs some consideration regarding that.
Good luck

arifg said:
Thanks all
Very helpful. I will go for a PSE to start with, once the warranty period is over, I will probably have a H&S bypass.

In that case have a phone around of a few OPCs for the best price and after getting that then hit them for the 10% discount. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Rang 3 centres - the price is pretty much the same around £2550- 75 as is also advertised on the porsche website (Tequipment).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back