Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bloody annoying interior rattle ,any suggestions

Phil 997

Le Mans
About 6 weeks ago my car developed a really annoying rattle coming from behind the driver and seemingly around the rear qtr panel, some days its there and other days its not ,although when its there its there for a few days. the only thing I have done recently in that area is change the seatbelts but that was our first place to look and even with them removed it still rattles.
I have had my Porsche tech round three times looking for it
we have even removed wheels and chacked under the car for heat shields or exhaust clamps we have removed the arch liners and checked the engine bay .
The sound seems to be from inside the car so twice we have removed the bose sub , under the rear window carpet trim the qtr panel the rear seat belts post trim then gone for a drive and its still there the tech in the back listening and pressing every area and its still there , finally we put a borescope down between the metal skin we saw several of the well known rivet heads that break off during production in the gap and a bent wire and blue tack plus a magnet on the rod with some tickling the rivet heads were removed anyway the rattle is still there , I dont have a sunroof or rear windcreen wiper.

On tues we are fitting semi semi solid engine mounts a new OE transmission mount and a millers 10w 50 oil change as its just under 10k miles since I last did it 10 months ago.
the only thing I havent checked is, I fitted a 3rd brake light delete panel from the turbos and havent removed that to see if there is any unused wiring loom rattling about. Other than that I am at a lose end, so thought I would ask you guys if you have experienced the same or have any ideas that I can ask my tech to look at when he's here Tuesday.
What can rattle when all the trim, bose and seatbelts have been removed and its still rattling. its not a knock its a rattle the type of noise you would hear if a bolt was loose or exhaust bracket loose not as tinny as a rattly heat shield .
Thanks for any suggestions or thought gents :thumb: :thumb:

Sorry Phil, rather than help you narrow it down I'm going to do the opposite by suggesting that in my experience interior rattles often come from a completely different area than how you hear/perceive them in the car.

Ive had rattles that I'm convinced are in one quarter of the car, only to find the source of the sound is actually coming from a complete different area!

Anyways - surprised you can hear anything above the noise of that zorst of yours! - Just put your foot down a bit more and all other sounds will disappear! :D

Try listening around the seatbelt adjuster point. I also was convinced that the sound was coming from the door card and after some hard core listening from the Mrs P, she said it was 100% coming from behind the top seatbelt mounting point. I'm assuming it's the spring in the mechanism that's causing grief. I'll get round to it shortly.

monster said:
Sorry Phil, rather than help you narrow it down I'm going to do the opposite by suggesting that in my experience interior rattles often come from a completely different area than how you hear/perceive them in the car.

Ive had rattles that I'm convinced are in one quarter of the car, only to find the source of the sound is actually coming from a complete different area!

Anyways - surprised you can hear anything above the noise of that zorst of yours! - Just put your foot down a bit more and all other sounds will disappear! :D

:floor: :floor: you know mate I was actually thinking that, and although with James sitting in the back with the drivers side rear trim removed he was convinsed it was on that side I was going to do the same excersise on the PAX side and remove everything inc the seatbelts and then see , I havent removed the rear seats, but down he said it wasnt from them. I have got a louder straight pipe exhaust in the lock up so may just have to fit that but it makes your ears hurt which is why I have the full cartographic one fitted which only makes other peoples ears hurt :grin: :grin:
the other thing I was considering was stripping out the whole rear interior fitting the sounddeadening matting and refitting everything to see if that stopped it. :thumb:

FZP said:
Try listening around the seatbelt adjuster point. I also was convinced that the sound was coming from the door card and after some hard core listening from the Mrs P, she said it was 100% coming from behind the top seatbelt mounting point. I'm assuming it's the spring in the mechanism that's causing grief. I'll get round to it shortly.

Thats where it does sound like its coming from when I am driving so was also going to try removing the drivers seat belt and go for a hoon (on a private road ) :grin: thanks for reminding me to try that :thumb:

back it into a post, that always works when ive had annoying van rattles,

its not a stone in the rear tyre or wheel or loose pad is it?

Palladium said:
back it into a post, that always works when ive had annoying van rattles,

its not a stone in the rear tyre or wheel or loose pad is it?

:floor: :floor: did that to the ex wife mate , backed over her that sorted that annoying rattle, but I now have another one :grin: James checked the brakes and heat shields, its not a stone type of noise. :thumb:

I thought this was all fixed Phil :?

2007 997 Turbo had an issue with the spot welds on the panels on o/s/r light cluster .. the fix was to drill out the weld and rivet it .

I did a search and came up with Noise 531749 under Symptom based repairs in the Porsche manual .

OPC should be able to give details .

In theory your car wont apply as its newer but if you remove the light cluster and have a good poke around at the panels then you might hear it .

Cant say if its that but im sure i mentioned it the other day on the phone and its worth a look .

Phil my seat belt fixing will make rattle from time to time never quite cured I know you say that you have checked yours but worth another fiddle ,a quick fiddle sounds just your hand writing :floor:

Demort said:
I thought this was all fixed Phil :?

2007 997 Turbo had an issue with the spot welds on the panels on o/s/r light cluster .. the fix was to drill out the weld and rivet it .

I did a search and came up with Noise 531749 under Symptom based repairs in the Porsche manual .

OPC should be able to give details .

In theory your car wont apply as its newer but if you remove the light cluster and have a good poke around at the panels then you might hear it .

Cant say if its that but im sure i mentioned it the other day on the phone and its worth a look .

Thanks Iain, you did mention it mate :thumb: and we removed the rear lights had a poke about . I was sorted mate for several weeks now its come back :nooo:

have you been in the back, and let someone else have a drive,

its awful when it happens, its not a biro that's dropped somewhere?

nothing in the headliner?

you will find it, and it will be both obvious and fk all. :thumb:

Palladium said:
have you been in the back, and let someone else have a drive,

its awful when it happens, its not a biro that's dropped somewhere?

nothing in the headliner?

you will find it, and it will be both obvious and fk all. :thumb:

I havent mate, but I was considering trying the head lining as an option we have had a feel around up there and pushed it when driving and the rattle starts . thanks for the suggestions :thumb:

What i always say .. can you post a sound clip :D

just to point out the obvious .. if the noise was constant and you worked in an area checking etc and the noise went for a while then that area is the most likely .. ive stopped faults by removeing and refitting panels only to have them come back later .. just moveing something will alter things but not cure it .

Basically what was the last bit that was worked on when it stopped ?

Btw .. did i mention a sound clip helps :p

EDIT ...

hmm rear shock top mount springs to mind .

I have an almost plastic/metallic click sometimes from the seat belt adjuster, could it be that?

And if anyone else has had/cured this can they tell me how they did it please?

Thanks guys

Jam911 said:
I have an almost plastic/metallic click sometimes from the seat belt adjuster, could it be that?

And if anyone else has had/cured this can they tell me how they did it please?

Thanks guys

Yup .. its the plastic adjuster part .. ive replaced them before for noises .. annoying click by your right ear .

Id make sure its not the window / door seals first though .. wipe rain x over the window were it touches the rubber and over the rubber its self and leave to dry .. then road test it .

Lightly tap the adjuster with one finger .. you will hear it if its that .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back