Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Next Braking Wonder: PSCB

DRZ911

Mugello
Anyone on here have any experience of the Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB) option first introduced on the latest Cayenne? About a £2K option.

PSCB is a tungsten carbide coating of about 0.1mm on conventional steel discs. Mirror like finish on the discs once the pads are bedded in, with the promise of reduced dust generation by up to 90%. Brake calipers painted in white to denote PSCB. Meant to have similar braking performance to the PCCB brakes. Obviously do not have the weight advantage which PCCB enjoys.

So, anyone with any practical experience of PSCB :?:
Any suggestion that PSCB will be offered on the new 992 :?:

Attachments

• pscb3_120.jpg
    pscb3_120.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 2,940
Hopefully no residue brake pad ,arterial to be clarets on the calliper then!!! Could be a tad messy with white calipers ...
Not sure if white calipers are going to look right ...imagine them on a jet black car ?? I don't think so ...
Not for me ...

The impression that I got from the blurb is that they make the most sense for cars specced for off road (i.e. where you don't want ceramics as they are at risk of getting chipped but you might want something that is more disinclined to surface corrosion and has more stopping power)?

If it isn't that then is is surely just a way to get all of the white car brigade to hand over an extra couple of grand in exchange for matching callipers and less brake dust?

Personally though - I really think that they need to offer an option for a different calliper colour (as they do for hybrid Panamera owners who want to rid themselves of the acid green).

The disks last 30% longer than steel disks and 'only' cost 1/3 of what carbon brakes cost. Given that the disks and pads will only be available from Porsche that makes them sound like very expensive brakes to run to me. They do look nice though.

MC

I saw some prices on these the other day. 30% longer life, 4x the price. Not suprised it is a relatively cheap option, it is the 2nd or 3rd owner who will feel the sting.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I saw some prices on these the other day. 30% longer life, 4x the price. Not suprised it is a relatively cheap option, it is the 2nd or 3rd owner who will feel the sting.

MC

It has all the makings of the debacle with early/Gen 1 PCCB's being repeated again. Clearly the costs are less this time round, hopefully not a case of Porsche over promising and under delivering again ...

MisterCorn said:

MC

I see that they also offer them on the Taycan, and there they seem to me to make a lot of sense. Since most of the braking is regenerative and the disks will get used sparingly then iron rotors will be very prone to surface corrosion building up and they will likely last extremely well for most users. On the SUVs though I'd have thought that at those kind of prices then even the first owner is in for a hefty sting as well as everyone else that subsequently acquires the car in warranty. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back