Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

why are shocks such a rip off

timm996

Fed up with Porsche tax on shocks.

Four Bilstein B4 for an Audi A6 = £171 ( Bilstein 4x B4 Shock Absorbers Dampers Set High OEM Quality 19-119939 19-029443
)

One Bilstein B4 shock for 996 = £272 ( Bilstein B4 Front Shock Absorber Porsche 911 Cabrio (996) 3.6 (201 kW))

they are both gas shocks, similar manufacturing costs, I feel tempted to ask Bilstein why they persist in this unfair practice, in charging Porsche owners over six times more for similar product.

Attachments

• s_l400_960.jpg
    s_l400_960.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4,317
  • s_l400_1_468.jpg
    s_l400_1_468.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 4,317
What sort of mileage do shocks need to be replaced? Clearly it is going to be expensive when the time comes!

Poker2009 said:
What sort of mileage do shocks need to be replaced? Clearly it is going to be expensive when the time comes!

They are very good quality shocks. I've heard of 150k mile shocks going on the dynamometer and passing.

I think most people change them because of "upgradeitis", its one of the "easy" upgrades that has a big effect.

Lots upgraded to M030 a few years back when you could get the full kit of shocks springs and roll bars for £600 from the dealer. Sadly the price has gone north since then.

Yes i get it - it would be a "nice to have" an all new tight suspension on an older car.

I upgraded twice, because I'm an idiot - first from 60,000 mile B4's to brand new, then within 12 months to Ohlins R/T.

There was an appreciable change from 60k mile B4's to new, but that was nothing compared to the difference between new B4's and Ohlins, which was night and day.

One reason for the price must be volume sales but yes, I'm sure Bilstein are making a good profit.

Ohlins are somethings else, both in construction and performance and, having ridden in Dammit's car, I plan to fit them this year although probably with the softer springs as per Porsche & 911 World.

If you're interested I have a set of used OEM Bilstein shocks in the garage I'll be putting up for sale on here shortly. The car had 49k miles on it when they came off.

They're off a C4s with springs etc.. I upgraded so don't need them anymore. In perfect condition, in fact surprisingly they almost look like new.

Would be interested in knowing what people think they're worth.

wasz said:
Poker2009 said:

Lots upgraded to M030 a few years back when you could get the full kit of shocks springs and roll bars for £600 from the dealer. Sadly the price has gone north since then.

This!

I searched high and low... cheapest I could find was £999 + VAT... Grrr!

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsc...-to-2005/sports-suspension-kit-oe-996-c4.html

maldren said:
One reason for the price must be volume sales but yes, I'm sure Bilstein are making a good profit.

Ohlins are somethings else, both in construction and performance and, having ridden in Dammit's car, I plan to fit them this year although probably with the softer springs as per Porsche & 911 World.
Which edition of Porsche & 911 World did the Ohlins article appear please?
Cheers :thumb:

Centre Gravity supplied different, slightly softer springs when fitting my Ohlins, I have the ones that came in the kit on a shelf in the garage.

BK911 said:
wasz said:
Poker2009 said:

This!

I searched high and low... cheapest I could find was £999 + VAT... Grrr!

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsc...-to-2005/sports-suspension-kit-oe-996-c4.html

Just make sure porscheshop has them in stock, when I was looking even though it said 3-5 days they were looking at a 4 month delivery as these kits are manufactured in batches. As I wanted to replace mine for a road trip I was going on, to buy them individually cost twice this!! I think they come from the same source as I couldn't get them from anywhere else. porscheshop tried very hard to help me locate a kit to be fair.

Big improvement in ride and handling though after about 80 - 85k miles on the old ones.

diverzeusy said:

They've done a series of articles on 911 suspension but the final articles were in the Jan & Feb 2018 editions. The Feb article possible has all you need (or a call to Centre Gravity!)

I just gave £600 for a set of Bilstein B6, bought them on a whim as someone local bought them and hadn't even had them out the box.

Probably a bit late now but what like are these.

maldren said:
diverzeusy said:

They've done a series of articles on 911 suspension but the final articles were in the Jan & Feb 2018 editions. The Feb article possible has all you need (or a call to Centre Gravity!)
Thanks maldren :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back