Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOMO Cup Steering Wheel to Boss - Allen nuts are "censo

matt_SM

DIY ***** up and I need some advice please!

Having successfully removed my MOMO cup wheel and boss from the car, I presumed it would be doddle to remove the six allen bolts in order to detach the wheel from the Boss.. How wrong could this assumption turn out to be.

Using a quality ratchet drive and 3mm head, two allen bolts have released ok but despite a prelonged soaking in penetrating oil... 4 bolts have rounded out (the ratchet head was tougher) so I have allen bolts in situ with their heads turned into cheese.

I imagine the best path forward is to drill out each allen nut, starting with 1mm, then 2mm steel bits and working my way up in diameter. I have used this technique successfully in the past for bigger items (like exhaust studs) but this is obviously more fiddly.

A new Boss is £80 but the wheel far more, so I would rather damage the Boss than the wheel.

Any other bright ideas or advice?

Thanks all,
Matt

It could be worth cutting a slot into the top of the bolt to use a screwdriver instead before going full on with the drill.

I've found a Dremel style disc works well for this.
Not sure what they thread into on this wheel but if it has a thread lock applied at construction then heat will help release it, for instance boiling water.

use hot air gun or soldering iron to melt Loctite

Thanks everyone, success at last!

My technique was as follows;

1). Heat each Allen bolt for 45-60 seconds with a hot soldering iron.

2). This only softened some heads, resulting in more rounding!

3). Carefully drill 2 and 3mm into the tapered section of the head.

4): Hammer a 4mm torx head into Allen.

5): Carefully apply torque by hand with a 1/4 drive socket and voila.. all out.

I can finally post the blighter to Jack st Royal!

Matt

Great to see some precision DIY on the Forum!
I normally hit things harder with a bigger hammer! :floor: :thumbs:

Ha! the thought crossed my mind... until I checked the price of a new steering wheel :grin:

It's the taper on the countersink section that causes the 'seizure".
A decent quality centre punch with a sharp tip used close (but not too close ...) to the outside circumference used to drive the head around anti-clockwise, with a sharp tap, will free them easily.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back