Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

McLaren 570

Nastymatt

I was invited on a McLaren drive experience at Millbrook yesterday to have a few hours fun in the 570 series.

All I can say is that is one hugely accomplished car. If you are considering a Lambo/R8 type car (i.e. 2 seats and quite 'focused') then I thoroughly recommend having a play in a 570.

We all got to do the slalom course (in a 991 911t first for comparison) 1 mile straight (hit 182 mph), the alpine course, the 2 mile banked circuit (weird taking your hands off the wheel at 95 mph) and finally taken out by a pro.

The only downside is how much unwanted attention the car might get.

Cost of the annual warranty puts me off. By all accounts you're wise to have it

Definitely agree with the OP - 2 friends have McLarens (MP4 12C and a 570GT) and when we have our driving trips and track days over in Europe they are hugely impressive as 'allrounders' - the performance & handling while being so civilised is out of this world. very accomplished indeed - i just need a (huge!) win on the Lotto

:grin: :worship:

Attachments

• col_diseran_2017__reduced_709.jpg
    col_diseran_2017__reduced_709.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 8,381
£3k car battery put me off.

Opted for an LP560-4 Spyder instead although the 570s is a great car.

snb993 said:
2 friends have McLarens (MP4 12C and a 570GT) and when we have our driving trips and track days over in Europe they are hugely impressive

WOW :eek:

:worship:

snb993 said:
Definitely agree with the OP - 2 friends have McLarens (MP4 12C and a 570GT) and when we have our driving trips and track days over in Europe they are hugely impressive as 'allrounders' - the performance & handling while being so civilised is out of this world. very accomplished indeed - i just need a (huge!) win on the Lotto

:grin: :worship:
Great photo where was it taken?
Rick

Hi thank you. Last year's trip was mainly around the lakes in Italy. We left the Pininfarina 'factory' and headed NW to Susa and picked up the D902 Col d'Iseran on our way Val d'Isere. The photo was at Lac du Chevril. We then went on to Chamonix where we did white water rafting- best EUR41 we had ever spent! :D

The D902 is a fabulous road and one of many (including official hillclimbs) that we had been on :thumb:

Attachments

• 2ef57321_041c_41f2_ac89_3aa552302a32_197.png
    2ef57321_041c_41f2_ac89_3aa552302a32_197.png
    997.4 KB · Views: 8,246
That layby looks like ir was built for the job. You cant beat the alps in summer for quality roads. I suspect the locals enjoyed your convoy too!

markj113 said:
£3k car battery put me off.
:eek: :eek:
Makes the Porsche rip-off prices seem reasoanble
Is it some sort of special lithium ion racing configuration :?:

I know a few people that have had McL's and they have all complained of several quality issues.

One guy had a brake light out on his, it required a whole new light unit, no bulb to change. It was on order and didn't arrive for 4 month. Some panels I have seen look like they have been put together by apes.

Darren at RSJ told me that one of his customers was quoted £30,000 to have a gearbox to engine oil seal done, guy who had the car was an engineer so he found out who the manufacturer was and contacted them direct. They refused to sell to him as they're under contract to McLaren.

Didn't he give it back to the dealer? Can't be that many guys in the same situation.

Apparently the gear box oil seal is a known fault, as usual they probably said 'we've never heard of that happening before'. The car wasn't warranted, don't know what the end result was but it makes an IMS failure look cheap!

The dealer paid for a replacement and sold the car on if it's the same guy. Thorney would have fixed it for about £5k, but they couldn't get the part. Didn't know he was an RSJ customer. Small world.

If the rumours about poor quality are true, is there any particular reason why :?:

Surely McLaren with their budget, facilities and processes have the know-how to deliver defect-free and reliable cars? Or is it another 10 years for them to go up this learning curve?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back