Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front hub/track rod end insert

trig_112

Monza
Quick question for you.

I had the nearside track rod end out the other day, the steel insert that the taper fits snugly into on the hub carrier came out when the rod end nut was taken off.

The question is, that doesn't seem to be right, am I correct? I'm assuming it shouldn't happen (my offside one stays in the hub carrier)

I've had a long held steering shimmy and this was noticed when fitting new steering rods, so it has me thinking that the insert falling out could be a contributing factor (the insert moving in the hub carrier that is).

Erm .. no it shouldn,t and thats not so good .

I can only tell you the official line but to be fair i would recomend it anyways .. you need a new hub im sorry to say .

That part is press fitted and should never come out .. if loose then .. well ... its not going to be safe basically .

I cant say if thats the cause of your shimmy though .

Sorry .

Demort, the bearer of bad news. I suppose with all the good stuff you post, someone has to get the short straw once in a while.

While the track rod end does tighten down, I did think that the insert probably shouldn't come out, especially as the offside insert is solid in the hub carrier.

I don't suppose the Boxster front hubs are the same as the the 996 C2 ones? I've looked at the parts diagram in the 996 PET I have and compared the hub carrier part number to the Boxster part number on Design911's website and it appears to be the same.

Deroures web site https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp has pretty good parts diagrams.
Not sure how up to date they are but they do show when parts are superceeded and the cover both the 911 and Boxter.

Their prices are close to OPC and often less than some other sites.

Sorry for the bad news young man :sad:

It happens now and again at work when removeing a very tight track rod end the insert comes out with it .

Its a replacement hub every time im afraid .

Not sure on Boxster parts .. if the part number is the same then yes .. its the same part .. the site Pickse listed is the one i use when answering questions on here .

Cheers folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back