Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK oil leaks

neil_911

Monza
Hi all,

I'm mid way through some winter maintenance on my 997.2 C2S.

I've had the covers off underneath looking around and checking a few bits (all good actually).

Last year during a service i had an advisory for a leaking PDK oil sump pan - which I've had replaced. Now i had a look around this area and it was looking a little wet again, But not from the sump pan - from somewhere slightly higher up and tracking down.

Looked to be around the shifter arm from a sensor output? I've attached a pic to see if anyone knows which bit i'm talking about.

My question is, Anyone had any work done like this? Is the sensor just an o-ring replacement? I'm assuming if i pull the silver clip the sensor will just pop out and allow me to change the o-ring. (although i'm not sure if its below the oil service level)

Picking the brains of fellow 911 owners once again :)

Attachments

• img_1571_153.jpg
    img_1571_153.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,053
Im not sure off hand ..

But thats not what i would call a leak and to be honest not something i would worry about .. if a drip forms then fair enough .. but we call that sweating in my trade .

I would certainly check the availability of parts before removing anything .. in other words can you actually buy the O ring or seal that goes there .

Cheers Dermot.

It was a noticeable leak though, Not on the floor but definitely enough to wet the sump pan.

Problem with PDK stuff is its heavily dependent on oil pressures and levels. I've not had any jerking yet but a low oil level would probably lead to some driving issues.

When mine leaked oil, it threw up a transmission warning without gearbox function being impaired.

Magic919 said:
When mine leaked oil, it threw up a transmission warning without gearbox function being impaired.

Was it an easy fix mate?

Yes, but that's not good news. The leak was a seal within the gearbox that then emerged via a cover screwed into the casing.

Porsche don't do any work on the gearbox and I got them to fit a new one.

Do you have drips forming on the sump pan ? or is it similar to your picture ?

The trouble with these is that so few parts are available .. i had a quick check on a site i look at for parts and that seal you mentioned is not listed ..

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=30&TBL=3759&SMA=&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

if you have drips forming then fair enough something needs to be done .. but there is still rather a lot of oil in these .. i would prefer a lvl check first to see how much it has lost before thinking about repair .

Main reason for this .. you might end up with a new box being needed .. if thats for a " sweat " then i havent done my job here properly ..

just trying to advise and not spend your money here :)

Yeah, in my opinion it's excessively wet and needs rectifying. I'd let it go if it was mechanical misting/oil seepage.

I've a feeling it was leaking before from the same place but the Indy just assumed it was the sump pan leaking. I guess best I can do is clean it all off properly and road test it.

All the lines around the heat exchanger looked abit damp too, but that's probably more where it's tracked down and the vent in the undertray blowing it around.

neil_911 said:
Hi all,

I'm mid way through some winter maintenance on my 997.2 C2S.

I've had the covers off underneath looking around and checking a few bits (all good actually).

Last year during a service i had an advisory for a leaking PDK oil sump pan - which I've had replaced. Now i had a look around this area and it was looking a little wet again, But not from the sump pan - from somewhere slightly higher up and tracking down.

Looked to be around the shifter arm from a sensor output? I've attached a pic to see if anyone knows which bit i'm talking about.

My question is, Anyone had any work done like this? Is the sensor just an o-ring replacement? I'm assuming if i pull the silver clip the sensor will just pop out and allow me to change the o-ring. (although i'm not sure if its below the oil service level)

Picking the brains of fellow 911 owners once again :)

Neil,
I started a post about this back in June 2017 ' 997.2 PDK bleeder screw slight leak...
Still driving DD. 75k and all ok. So far!

Sometimes it's better not to look. :D

That looks to be the main gearbox connector plug. On the 997.1 tiptronic its the mercedes 722.6 gearbox and that connector looks very similar. You Need to identify the gearbox but it is a case of remove the metal
Clip, then that white lever rotatess which draws the plug out. Orings you can probably get matched up, they need to be correct material probably viton. Or if you can identify the gearbox model (find the id plate) you can probably get a new connector off ebay. I did and it was £15 but I ended up just using the orings as the connector locks were slightly different

Still love to know why it is named as a bleeder screw? See previous post with photos.

deMort said:
Im not sure off hand ..

But thats not what i would call a leak and to be honest not something i would worry about .. if a drip forms then fair enough .. but we call that sweating in my trade .

I would certainly check the availability of parts before removing anything .. in other words can you actually buy the O ring or seal that goes there .

I still stand by this .. it needs to be an actual leak or don't worry about it .

There are very few parts available for PDK and still very little info on repairing them .

I also have no idea why its called a bleeder valve .. something internal i would guess at .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back