Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche ends all diesel car production from line up

Porsche News

Porsche has stopped selling diesel-engined models across Europe.

Porsche has officially ended production of all diesel vehicles in the face of changing consumer demand and upcoming stricter emissions tests.

'Diesel engines traditionally play a subordinate role at Porsche. Porsche does not develop or build diesel engines itself. Currently, the demand for diesel models is falling, whereas interest in hybrid and petrol models is increasing significantly.

In a move that a Porsche spokesman said mirrors the 'cultural shift" of the brand's customers, the German manufacturer has discontinued its last two diesel models, the Macan S Diesel and Panamera 4S Diesel (pictured below), just nine years after its first oil-burner hit the market.

The brand revealed that the diesel's removal was also linked to 'another software update" that has been subject to an 'ongoing consultation with the authorities". While not directly confirming it, this suggests that like with BMW and its F80 M3, Porsche has decided against re-engineering the Macan S Diesel to conform to the new Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP) standards.

In light of these facts, as well as the ongoing consultation with the authorities in relation to another software update, Porsche has made changes to its production planning and set the end-of-production date for the Macan S Diesel to 15 February 2018. This decision means that all orders for the vehicle type Macan S Diesel have already been taken out of the production program.

The cull comes after the brand chose not the launch the new version of its Cayenne SUV with a diesel engine. The original Cayenne was the first Porsche to offer diesel power back in 2009.

In an official statement, Porsche said that the Macan S Diesel, the only such version of the brand's Range Rover Velar rival, has been 'taken out of the production programme" as buyer demand moves towards petrol and hybrid versions.

The brand revealed that the diesel's removal was also linked to 'another software update" that has been subject to an 'ongoing consultation with the authorities". While not directly confirming it, this suggests that like with BMW and its F80 M3, Porsche has decided against re-engineering the Macan S Diesel to conform to the new Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP) standards.

Such a move highlights the shrinking demand for the model, which a Porsche UK spokesman said represented a small portion of the SUV's 97,000 global sales from 2017. The Macan is also due to be facelifted in April.

The same justification was given for the demise of the Panamera 4S Diesel, which was removed from Porsche's ranks during the luxury car's range update at the start of the year.

Porsche said the change was linked to falling demand for the variant, which accounted for 15% of the Panamera's 11,000 global sales in 2017. Petrol versions accounted for 35%, while the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid accounted for 50%.

An inside source stated that the current lack of diesel cars in its range doesn't "mean Porsche has decided to stop all diesel models" forever. But Porsche boss Oliver Blume revealed last year that 'diesel is not so important for Porsche", adding that diesel sales made up just 15% of Porsche's total worldwide sales, mostly in Europe.

Unlike its petrol engines, Porsche never developed its own diesel powerplants, instead sourcing them from elsewhere within the Volkswagen Group. Porsche halted investment in diesel last year, shifting much of its R&D focus to electrification.

Porsche introduced its first diesel-engined road car in 2009 with the facelift of its first-generation Cayenne, this after then CEO Wendelin Wiedeking said there would never be a diesel-engined Porsche. With Macan S diesel production having ended, that is the case once more. With the new Panamera or the Cayenne not offered with diesel engines since their respective launches, despite previous generations of the cars enjoying great success with both V6 and V8 turbo-diesel engines, Porsche's entry in the diesel market is over.

Porsche's full range of electrified vehicles, headlined by the Mission E sports-saloon, isn't scheduled for launch until 2020.

Noting that Diesel Cayenne and Macan model were the stable diet of European Drivers.

3 out of every 5 Macan's sold in the UK have been diesel

with almost 4 out of every 5 Cayenne's since 2009 being diesel.

Will the SUV market take to the Petrol and Hybrid offerings ?

Whilst the value of the 958 Cayenne Facelift (from 2014) E-Hybrid have been solid for the last 6 months

So what impact will this have on second hnad values of cayenne/macan diesels

Interesting news indeed.

If Porsche have done their market research correctly, then this could turn out to be a very shrewd move indeed in the medium to long-term. Forces the move to hybrid and electric technologies for their customer base, and potentially embarrasses rivals who persist with large diesel units (Land Rover in particular).

Makes you wonder what Audii and VW may do next with their large diesel engined cars. :?:

My main gripe is not with Porsche stopping sales of diesel but that we have heard nothing from the government about how sorry they are for manipulating diesel sales in the UK to such a huge extent that we have so many on the roads and now they are banning them for certain cities and it wont be long before diesel drivers will viewed like smokers are . :nooo: :nooo:

Phil 997 said:
My main gripe is not with Porsche stopping sales of diesel but that we have heard nothing from the government about how sorry they are for manipulating diesel sales in the UK to such a huge extent that we have so many on the roads and now they are banning them for certain cities and it wont be long before diesel drivers will viewed like smokers are . :nooo: :nooo:

This, it was shocking at the time, and just as shocking now. The company car tax break incentives never ever made any sense :nooo:

They are still at it now, I drive a PHEV with a BIK of 9% and so pay very little tax on a car which 'officially" does 135mpg. In the real world I hardly ever plug it in, it self charges enough to give it a power boost when I need it and I'm averaging 32mpg over the first 5k miles, but at least its got a petrol engine in there :roll:

So even hybrid tech results are being easily manipulated to fit the tax system. But governments and car manufacturers have been in each other's pockets for decades.

Porsches announcement and it shockingly quick timing smacks of a 'deal" done with the power that be rather than a more public and costly shaming for data manipulation :nooo:

jonttt said:
Phil 997 said:

This, it was shocking at the time, and just as shocking now. The company car tax break incentives never ever made any sense :nooo:

Porsches announcement and it shockingly quick timing smacks of a 'deal" done with the power that be rather than a more public and costly shaming for data manipulation :nooo:

Funny I had the same thought :thumb:

when i was a kid there was no such thing as a diesel car, diesel was for commercials, it will probably go back to that.

i would never buy a diesel car now after all these mixed messages.

Any one want to buy a diesel full fat Range Rover going cheap :sad:

jonttt said:
Phil 997 said:

They are still at it now, I drive a PHEV with a BIK of 9% and so pay very little tax on a car which 'officially" does 135mpg. In the real world I hardly ever plug it in, it self charges enough to give it a power boost when I need it and I'm averaging 32mpg over the first 5k miles, but at least its got a petrol engine in there :roll:

So even hybrid tech results are being easily manipulated to fit the tax system. But governments and car manufacturers have been in each other's pockets for decades.

The success of the Cayenne and Macan Diesels brought the brand into the mass market, after all the best selling Porsche was the Cayenne Diesel for IIRC 5 years in a row.

The issue with the battery technology is that beyond 10 years or 100,000 miles, What happens when it degrades and needs replacement ?

These battery systems are upwards to £20k and cant be repaired as there is no after-market battery market :dont know:

So not only have I got the "last of the aircooled" I also have "last of the diesel". I'm looking forward to the value of my Cayenne appreciating for a change.

i have had my eye on an old lexus 300 rx suv, they only did them in petrol,
they will get even more popular, i am not a fan of suv normally, but i do like these, bulletproof and stylish.

a decision that a low volume producer could make, not a luxury that Audi, VW et al could make

A Porsche designed and engineered Diesel engine would actually have been interesting ...

good! would expect other manufacturers to follow, glad we bought a petrol Evoque last year (used), there were v few available

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back