Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 21
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 36
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
badbox
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 49



PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Targa 4S GEN2 and Ducktail & PDK paddle steering Reply with quote

Hi
does anyone know of any reason why a ducktail or rear spoiler cant be fitted to a 997 GEN 2 Targa 2?

Also whats my best options for changing the steering wheel to the paddles similar to 991's

I hear on 991s the sunroof needs to be programed again to reduce opening if a ducktail is installed? I could have misread it somewhere Question
_________________
Targa 4S 997.2 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Long Beach


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 6774
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be its to do with the rear Targa hatch .. perhaps the glass hatch would foul a ducktail when opened .. or maybe you just wouldnt be able to get into the hatch .. not sure but thats my guess .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target see Here

Thank you all so Very much .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate cant help re the ducktail and targa issue , Only to say I have just spent 5 mins looking at the back of 997.2 targas and as the roof slides internally on the gen2 and it has a high level brake panel I cannot see why you couldnt , on the 991 maybe as the rear lifts . You would need to fit the turbo high level brake delete panel to get a finished look but they are only cheap and I did mine as the RS wing had a brake light built in as well. .

re the steering wheel the 997.2 paddle wheel is no longer available as its been superceded by the 991.1 paddle wheel which is effectivly the same part with a different part number it should be a straight swap and no newer steering control module needed using the same airbag as the regular gen2 wheel unless yours is a very early gen 2 and has the gen1 steering wheel. if your unsure post some pics of your wheel and that will help.
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
badbox
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 49



PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Sorry mate cant help re the ducktail and targa issue , Only to say I have just spent 5 mins looking at the back of 997.2 targas and as the roof slides internally on the gen2 and it has a high level brake panel I cannot see why you couldnt , on the 991 maybe as the rear lifts . You would need to fit the turbo high level brake delete panel to get a finished look but they are only cheap and I did mine as the RS wing had a brake light built in as well. .

re the steering wheel the 997.2 paddle wheel is no longer available as its been superceded by the 991.1 paddle wheel which is effectivly the same part with a different part number it should be a straight swap and no newer steering control module needed using the same airbag as the regular gen2 wheel unless yours is a very early gen 2 and has the gen1 steering wheel. if your unsure post some pics of your wheel and that will help.


absolutely spot on yes mine roof opens inside not out like 991 and I=the brake light wouldnt be a problem as the ducktail from design 911 has a slot for it. my concern would be the re strip the 4s has between the rear lights but again dont think its an isses.

so can I buy a 991 steering wheel? mine has the multi function wheel with the tiptronic style push and pull buttons on both sides . its a 59 plate so its not like my gen 1 steering wheel but hasnt got that extra pdk part on the top that lights up sports plus etc
_________________
Targa 4S 997.2 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badbox wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
Sorry mate cant help re the ducktail and targa issue , Only to say I have just spent 5 mins looking at the back of 997.2 targas and as the roof slides internally on the gen2 and it has a high level brake panel I cannot see why you couldnt , on the 991 maybe as the rear lifts . You would need to fit the turbo high level brake delete panel to get a finished look but they are only cheap and I did mine as the RS wing had a brake light built in as well. .

re the steering wheel the 997.2 paddle wheel is no longer available as its been superceded by the 991.1 paddle wheel which is effectivly the same part with a different part number it should be a straight swap and no newer steering control module needed using the same airbag as the regular gen2 wheel unless yours is a very early gen 2 and has the gen1 steering wheel. if your unsure post some pics of your wheel and that will help.


absolutely spot on yes mine roof opens inside not out like 991 and I=the brake light wouldnt be a problem as the ducktail from design 911 has a slot for it. my concern would be the re strip the 4s has between the rear lights but again dont think its an isses.

so can I buy a 991 steering wheel? mine has the multi function wheel with the tiptronic style push and pull buttons on both sides . its a 59 plate so its not like my gen 1 steering wheel but hasnt got that extra pdk part on the top that lights up sports plus etc


My 4S now doesnt have the red strip across the rear as the new engine lid with wing comes down to the rear bumper as it would on a C2S, yes the high level brake light should go into the slot on the ducktail and then you replace the old high level panel with the high level delete panel as the turbos have .

re the steering wheel sounds like you have the early PDK wheel with the rocker and a silver facsia with MF . so the 991 wheel will be a straight swap and take your airbag these should be no need for the new steering control module, and as long as the horn works and the paddles change gear your sorted.
when removing the old airbag if you havent dont it there are some good threads on here but you need to push a long thin screwdriver up the hole on the underside of the wheel if its never been of it wont be a hole it will be a nipple push through that then feel the metal and push it should release the airbag and it will pop up about an inch . when refitting it into your new wheel mane sure the wiring look is sitting in the groove for it put a small amount of silicon grease around the sides of the airbag and a especially where the three tabs stick out. the air bag might be a bit stiff when in place push it a fw times if it doesnt start to move up and down freely remove and alloy more silicon grease if there is teflon tape on the airbag sides remove it and clean the surface up.

I am assuming your existing wheel looks like the bottom pic but multi function
and what you want to fit is the top pic
hope that helps
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 



s-l1600.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.6 KB
 Viewed:  3527 Time(s)

s-l1600.jpg



s-l1600.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.75 KB
 Viewed:  3527 Time(s)

s-l1600.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
badbox
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 49



PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, have you any pics of your duck tail. so you just fitted it and removed the red strip as if it was a gen one 4S without. I would want to try to keep the red strip if possible
_________________
Targa 4S 997.2 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
badbox
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 49



PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remembered about the heated steering wheel button behind my existing one. What happens to that
_________________
Targa 4S 997.2 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badbox wrote:
just remembered about the heated steering wheel button behind my existing one. What happens to that


They do a heated version of the 991 paddle wheel so just order that Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badbox wrote:
thank you, have you any pics of your duck tail. so you just fitted it and removed the red strip as if it was a gen one 4S without. I would want to try to keep the red strip if possible


Mine isnt a ducktail its an RS wing although the underside bit is similar to a ducktail, I am not sure you could keep the red strip without some serious fabrication Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 



26184892_533194627048495_7254378897439981568_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.34 KB
 Viewed:  3435 Time(s)

26184892_533194627048495_7254378897439981568_n.jpg



19051040_1768248116798899_5532997580486606848_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.34 KB
 Viewed:  3435 Time(s)

19051040_1768248116798899_5532997580486606848_n.jpg



26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.17 KB
 Viewed:  3435 Time(s)

26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jonno_
Nürburgring


Joined: 29 May 2014
Posts: 399
Location: Oxfordshire

2005 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phi - nice pics, looks like Sandbanks?
_________________
997.1 Seal Grey c2s manual, ltt, mobridge, zunsports, Carrera S IIs (summer)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
badbox
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 49



PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
badbox wrote:
just remembered about the heated steering wheel button behind my existing one. What happens to that


They do a heated version of the 991 paddle wheel so just order that Thumb


is only 991 that would fit or Panamera and other models also can be used?
_________________
Targa 4S 997.2 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badbox wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
badbox wrote:
just remembered about the heated steering wheel button behind my existing one. What happens to that


They do a heated version of the 991 paddle wheel so just order that Thumb


is only 991 that would fit or Panamera and other models also can be used?


yes any that look like that cayman , Boxter, cayenne etc. Thumb Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonno_ wrote:
Phi - nice pics, looks like Sandbanks?


Grin Grin spot on mate Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the carbon ducktail from RPM technik heard very good things about the fit and quality of these , I saw a great pic from a member who had painted it but left the carbon showing around the intake vent , it really looked good.


https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-997-gen-2-Carbon-ducktail-spoiler/142616147465?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
systech1
Silverstone


Joined: 10 Jul 2016
Posts: 126
Location: Adelaide, South Australia


PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: 997.2 Ducktail Reply with quote

Have just trial fit a Flying Ducktail out of Taiwan prior to painting in body colour. As the name suggests it replaces the top part of the current lifting spoiler on the 997.2 and lifts at speed (or could be disabled using PIWIS etc).

I quite like the slightly smaller, more subtle look and the old school 2.7 RS style vent and am also fitting a mesh grill underneath.

Also made of carbon fibre so light and strong and significantly cheaper than the RPM unit.

Details can be seen here ... https://flyingducktail.com/ but pays to ring the owner Steve Chou and you may be able to negotiate a better price.

The tolerance on some of the mounting holes is not perfect and may require a bit of fettling as I'm doing but overall very happy with the ducktail (See photo of spoiler still in primer. Will post some photos once properly fitted and painted).
_________________
Long time Porsche fan. Previous cars include 911T 2.2, 911E 2.2, Carrera 3.0, 986 Boxster S. Current car is 997.2S Manual (with PSE, H&S Backbox bypass, Sports Chrono, SSK, DSC PASM controller, Carrera Sports wheels, Ducktail and splitter, Sport Design steering wheel etc.)
 



IMG_3854.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  811.87 KB
 Viewed:  3275 Time(s)

IMG_3854.JPG


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911TEL
Albert Park


Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 1506
Location: Inverness & Kazakhstan

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
My guess would be its to do with the rear Targa hatch .. perhaps the glass hatch would foul a ducktail when opened .. or maybe you just wouldnt be able to get into the hatch .. not sure but thats my guess .


I would agree exactly that from Demort.

Then again , maybe its just not right to do that to the Targa , as beautiful as it is .....
_________________
997 Gen 2 Turbo S Basalt Black -BBS CHR, Kline inconel exhaust, DSC V1 & Polished Bliss air freshener...
Cayenne S diesel 850 N/ m torque!!!! Jet black
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
badbox
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 49



PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:
Demort wrote:
My guess would be its to do with the rear Targa hatch .. perhaps the glass hatch would foul a ducktail when opened .. or maybe you just wouldnt be able to get into the hatch .. not sure but thats my guess .


I would agree exactly that from Demort.

Then again , maybe its just not right to do that to the Targa , as beautiful as it is .....


I agree you never see the ducktails on a targa but its so beautiful espeically the sport classic one that design 911 sell....but at the end of the day the targa is a carrera shape so could look good still
_________________
Targa 4S 997.2 PDK

Last edited by badbox on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911TEL
Albert Park


Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 1506
Location: Inverness & Kazakhstan

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badbox wrote:
911TEL wrote:
Demort wrote:
My guess would be its to do with the rear Targa hatch .. perhaps the glass hatch would foul a ducktail when opened .. or maybe you just wouldnt be able to get into the hatch .. not sure but thats my guess .


I would agree exactly that from Demort.

Then again , maybe its just not right to do that to the Targa , as beautiful as it is .....


I agree you never see the ducktails on a targa but its so beautiful espeically the sport callsic one that design 911 sell....but at the end of teh day the targa is a carrera shape so could look good still


You have a point , might be interesting to see...... some more measurements required then .. Wink

Phils modded back end ( The car ) looks pretty good on his car , makes a case for modifying ....
_________________
997 Gen 2 Turbo S Basalt Black -BBS CHR, Kline inconel exhaust, DSC V1 & Polished Bliss air freshener...
Cayenne S diesel 850 N/ m torque!!!! Jet black
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
badbox
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 49



PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Design 911 are confident it will fit as if you look at the sport classic on a gen 2 theres alot of dead space under the tail.the taol finsihes above the top of the rear lights an dthe re strip from 4S gen 2 onlyraises about a 1/3 up from bottom of the lights

should be fine...
_________________
Targa 4S 997.2 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15263
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 997.2 Ducktail Reply with quote

systech1 wrote:
Have just trial fit a Flying Ducktail out of Taiwan prior to painting in body colour. As the name suggests it replaces the top part of the current lifting spoiler on the 997.2 and lifts at speed (or could be disabled using PIWIS etc).

I quite like the slightly smaller, more subtle look and the old school 2.7 RS style vent and am also fitting a mesh grill underneath.

Also made of carbon fibre so light and strong and significantly cheaper than the RPM unit.

Details can be seen here ... https://flyingducktail.com/ but pays to ring the owner Steve Chou and you may be able to negotiate a better price.

The tolerance on some of the mounting holes is not perfect and may require a bit of fettling as I'm doing but overall very happy with the ducktail (See photo of spoiler still in primer. Will post some photos once properly fitted and painted).


I have read a bit about the flying ducktail they do look like a nice option , make sure you post pics when its painted and finished pics of both open and closed please Thumb Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum