Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Checking service history

uk996

I'm searching for a decent 996tt at a decent price, found plenty of expensive ones.

Any how, what do you think about these stamps ?
Especially for the one of the right.

Unfortunately no supporting invoices for them.

Ring them and ask if you've any doubts, with the reg and dates they should be able to confirm if they did any work but possibly won't tell you what as your not the owner.

Unfortunately Rivervale don't exist any more. There are also a couple of Intaporch stamps too, they're not around either.

The servicing feels sparse tbh.

I don't think anyone will be worried about 15 years plus ago.

With a 996 Turbo there's far more that goes beyond basic servicing and I'd want to see some sign of that.

Are those services back to back? So a five year gap?

How do you mean "the servicing feels sparse tbh"? Is it within recommended schedule, slightly out or way out?

Magic919 said:
I don't think anyone will be worried about 15 years plus ago.

With a 996 Turbo there's far more that goes beyond basic servicing and I'd want to see some sign of that.

^^^^ This.

Whilst it's nice to have paperwork dating back to day one, is it any indication of the cars current condition?

I like to see a fully stamped book that seems legit and plenty of proof of recent work. Anything that was done 15 years ago will be due for renewal by now anyway. The last 4 or 5 years is what's important.

Those stamps seem genuine to me. I personally wouldn't be going to the far end of a fart questioning ancient service stamps. Not for a normal-ish car anyway. It's not exactly a '60s Ferrari, although 996s are nice cars.

Is that not an '02 then an '03 stamp?

That's not the point. If the stamps are fake, it tells me something is amiss at best.

The non-service history is patchy too. No evidence of coffin arms, rads, wheel alignment, diff oil change, coil packs etc.

A good ppi will tell you all that and I wouldn't touch a turbo priced car without one.

Also, what do you mean by decent car at a decent price? Mint but cheap? Mint but expensive? :dont know:

15 year old service history is meaningless. Only recent history and current condition really has an impact, however buyers do have service history on a pedestal for some reason.

You say you are looking for a deal, now if i was going to compromise on anything to get a deal, stamps from 15 years ago would be top of the list.

Otherwise if the car is top money it needs to 100% perfect for you.

Yes fair enough. That's why you have to view it all in context. A sparse history with no invoices and only a stamped book may be a signal.

However I believe those stamps are genuine and I don't believe someone would bother making up some different stamps to fake some services from 15 years ago.
They'd be better off faking some recent stuff.

Sounds like your gut has already made the decision. Move on. :thumb:

I'd usually say you might be passing on a good car though, but if there's no other proof of anything at all being done then yes definitely give it a miss.

That's to the OP Wasz. Not you. :thumb:

I can't see any reason to doubt the validity of those stamps and I certainly wouldn't expect to see any supporting documentation/invoices etc from 15/16 years ago. If I did it would be a really unusual bonus.

The important thing is to see some record that regular servicing and maintenance has been carried out throughout the life of the car. Recent stuff is far more important if you're looking to buy a car to enjoy using.

T8 said:
I can't see any reason to doubt the validity of those stamps and I certainly wouldn't expect to see any supporting documentation/invoices etc from 15/16 years ago.

I'd be more worried if the stamps were dated AFTER they ceased trading :grin:

:thumb:

uk996 said:
That's not the point. If the stamps are fake, it tells me something is amiss at best.

The non-service history is patchy too. No evidence of coffin arms, rads, wheel alignment, diff oil change, coil packs etc.

If you feel something is amiss, walk away, 996 turbos are not rare.

HSC911 said:
T8 said:
I can't see any reason to doubt the validity of those stamps and I certainly wouldn't expect to see any supporting documentation/invoices etc from 15/16 years ago.

I'd be more worried if the stamps were dated AFTER they ceased trading :grin:

:thumb:

Well funny you should say that. I've got more info.

Three of the companies that have worked on the car have ceased trading. This includes the most recent (last year) service, which was done by a generic garage, but no docs. There are invoices for a reconditioned gearbox and clutch in 2014, which set the owner back £7k, then not a lot after that. It feels like the owner was sold a pup and the initial gearbox fault has bled him dry as he has only driven it a couple of thousand miles in 3.5 years.

I'm not sure if it's a rough diamond, but I'm speculating it's on the verge of costing a lot of money on the lines of a full service, boost leak check/fix, diff oil change, control arms & bushes, hoses, rads, condenser as a starter.

Would an OPC check test the health of the turbos, actutators, compression, leaks etc ?

Re documentation, the last three cars I've bought and sold had docs going back from the purchase invoice, none of them have been anywhere near being exotic. One even came with petrol receipts during his ownership.

uk996 said:
I'm not sure if it's a rough diamond, but I'm speculating it's on the verge of costing a lot of money on the lines of a full service, boost leak check/fix, diff oil change, control arms & bushes, hoses, rads, condenser as a starter.

Would an OPC check test the health of the turbos, actutators, compression, leaks etc ?

It sounds like you're right so the purchase price would need to be right to factor in those costs.

An OPC would only check those things if you specifically asked them to. They wouldn't be checked as part of the bog standard 111 point check.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back