Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starting after Winter Layup

chicb

Monza
My car has been laid up for 4 months hooked up to a Ctek. I shall be returning it to the road in a few weeks. What is the best startup procedure. I was wondering if I should pull the plug leads then crank it over to build up oil pressure, replace the leads then fire it up or is there an easier/better way :?

Depends what model it is on procedure.

I hadn't driven my car for about two months due to other commitments. What I did was to disconnect the cteck and remove the fuel pump fuse and cranked the car up a few times until I saw the oil pressure go up. Then I put the fuel pump fuse back in and cranked it again to start the car. Idled it for about a minute then gradually drove off.

Disconnect charger. Check levels and tyre pressures and off you go... It'll be reet :thumb:

Just disconnect the Ctek and start up. Turning it over without a fuse etc will still mean dry bores being turned. The oil gets around pretty quick - as you'll see when the oil pressure gauge picks up so just start as normal.

just fire it up and go steady till its hot

how much different is leaving it for four months to leaving it for one week.

Remember to check tyre pressures, often overlooked after layup.

Palladium said:
just fire it up and go steady till its hot

how much different is leaving it for four months to leaving it for one week.

I think the issue is that Porsche probably designed these engines to be used daily. So when you don't use them the oil drains away from the lifters. You can hear the sound prior to the oil getting to the lifters in the videos I found below. I'm sure the noise is not a serious issue as if it was there would be a lot of information about it on how to avoid it. I am only referring to the turbo engines, I'm not sure if it is any different to the normal engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhJY4cW4FQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY4uqd7vzGA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back