Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 70
996 : 1997-2005 50
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
The return of Marty Wild
Österreich


Joined: 04 Nov 2016
Posts: 990



PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Colin & Raggy - I know this is a Pork forum and I know both the 911 and the M3 have become unrecognisable, so completely respect your feelings on the matter.

I need a bigger car to move me and little family unit around, so really think S4 or M3 is the right size for the job. When I buy cars, I keep them for ages, so this is a total departure for me to even contemplate the Cayman going so soon.

The cars I mention above are what I see as the best trade off of practicality and driver fun. With the Beamer being more fun, S4 more practical.
_________________
Life's too short for cr4ppy cars, keep it German!

Cayman S 987.1
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
The return of Marty Wild
Österreich


Joined: 04 Nov 2016
Posts: 990



PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Boba...

Will look out for the EDC and uprated stereo. Some CF splattered about would be nice too.

I was indeed asking for the purposes of a bike rack, am I that obvious?
Obviously I would like to get a car that had had the bits done but as you say, can get it done myself.

Will bear AUC in mind, so I can't have a look at any data from clues to its life though by the sounds of it?

Exhaust mod sounds a winner, if I can get a car from M3 Cutters, I saw lots of them have it done. Incidentally, I see you are on there. I am having trouble signing up, my account just appears inactivated and I can't post.
_________________
Life's too short for cr4ppy cars, keep it German!

Cayman S 987.1
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ragpicker
Estoril


Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Posts: 3515
Location: North East England


PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinC wrote:
Nope - me too - owned E30, E36, E46 & E46 CSL which I traded in against an E92. Had ago in a M2 last year and didn't remind me of an E30 M3 at all - could just be my age!

I parked beside a 991 last year in the 993 and both owners were laughing at the differences in the two models - both for very different reasons I must add......


Hey Colin, I'm glad its not just me. I think you've saved me pursuing the M2 idea too Thumb

Many people say the E30 was the 'greatest' M3, but in the 3-4 months I had it I just remember thinking that it didn't feel quick enough. The pick of the lineage for me is the E36evo. What a car that was, sublime chassis, not much in the way of driver aids, that engine.

The E46 had it for me in the looks department which is probably why I went back time and again to get another one. I actually preferred the SMG II box for track use, but round town it took a bit of getting used to.

The last E46 I had was silver with SMG. It ended up bent in half around a lamp post after I tried (and failed) to do a Chris Harris around a bend on a wet road, thinking I could modulate the throttle like I could in the dry... That was embarrassing Embarassed

@Marty - No probs dude, just giving my opinion so you get a balanced view Thumb
_________________
996 turbo - slightly modified....
986 S - usually in pieces: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=112626
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
m119cars
Silverstone


Joined: 28 Jan 2015
Posts: 132



PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:
I was an M3 chap through and through until I got the E92 when it came out. It turned me right off them - just far too big, heavy, numb, soulless and another step away from what the M3 was to me. I'd had at least one of each model prior to this, inc 3 (I think, might have been 4) E46's. I'd try an M2 though, they might be more to my tastes..

I sold it after a couple of months and bought my first 986 boxster S. Never looked back.

Interestingly I now dislike the 991.2s as they are a mile away from what a 911 is to me...

Maybe its just me Dont know



Totally agree with this, worst M car I've ever had/driven! Soulless sums it up beautifully.

To get it to go anywhere at a decent lick you really have to wring the c*"p out of it.

If you have no previous experience of M3's then you may well be fine.

Everyone bangs on about the 'soundtrack of the V8', personally I don't think it comes close to a N/A Merc AMG V8.

Ever considerd a C63?
_________________
997.2.Big hips, body kit and noisy exhaust.
997.2.Narrow hips, big spoiler and noisy exhaust
991.2 Big hips, even bigger spoiler (tempted with a noisy exhaust)
930. Big hips, big spoiler
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Boba fett
Watkins Glen


Joined: 14 May 2015
Posts: 2217



PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m119cars wrote:
ragpicker wrote:
I was an M3 chap through and through until I got the E92 when it came out. It turned me right off them - just far too big, heavy, numb, soulless and another step away from what the M3 was to me. I'd had at least one of each model prior to this, inc 3 (I think, might have been 4) E46's. I'd try an M2 though, they might be more to my tastes..

I sold it after a couple of months and bought my first 986 boxster S. Never looked back.

Interestingly I now dislike the 991.2s as they are a mile away from what a 911 is to me...

Maybe its just me Dont know



Totally agree with this, worst M car I've ever had/driven! Soulless sums it up beautifully.

To get it to go anywhere at a decent lick you really have to wring the c*"p out of it.

If you have no previous experience of M3's then you may well be fine.

Everyone bangs on about the 'soundtrack of the V8', personally I don't think it comes close to a N/A Merc AMG V8.

Ever considerd a C63?


You say all that then mention the C63 what what what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZExdTHHjY
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
m119cars
Silverstone


Joined: 28 Jan 2015
Posts: 132



PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boba fett wrote:
m119cars wrote:
ragpicker wrote:
I was an M3 chap through and through until I got the E92 when it came out. It turned me right off them - just far too big, heavy, numb, soulless and another step away from what the M3 was to me. I'd had at least one of each model prior to this, inc 3 (I think, might have been 4) E46's. I'd try an M2 though, they might be more to my tastes..

I sold it after a couple of months and bought my first 986 boxster S. Never looked back.

Interestingly I now dislike the 991.2s as they are a mile away from what a 911 is to me...

Maybe its just me Dont know



Totally agree with this, worst M car I've ever had/driven! Soulless sums it up beautifully.

To get it to go anywhere at a decent lick you really have to wring the c*"p out of it.

If you have no previous experience of M3's then you may well be fine.

Everyone bangs on about the 'soundtrack of the V8', personally I don't think it comes close to a N/A Merc AMG V8.

Ever considerd a C63?


You say all that then mention the C63 what what what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZExdTHHjY


And your point is?

I've just watched that and it reinforced everything I said above, lost count of how many times Clarkson used the word 'boring'.
_________________
997.2.Big hips, body kit and noisy exhaust.
997.2.Narrow hips, big spoiler and noisy exhaust
991.2 Big hips, even bigger spoiler (tempted with a noisy exhaust)
930. Big hips, big spoiler
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Boba fett
Watkins Glen


Joined: 14 May 2015
Posts: 2217



PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m119cars wrote:
Boba fett wrote:
m119cars wrote:
ragpicker wrote:
I was an M3 chap through and through until I got the E92 when it came out. It turned me right off them - just far too big, heavy, numb, soulless and another step away from what the M3 was to me. I'd had at least one of each model prior to this, inc 3 (I think, might have been 4) E46's. I'd try an M2 though, they might be more to my tastes..

I sold it after a couple of months and bought my first 986 boxster S. Never looked back.

Interestingly I now dislike the 991.2s as they are a mile away from what a 911 is to me...

Maybe its just me Dont know



Totally agree with this, worst M car I've ever had/driven! Soulless sums it up beautifully.

To get it to go anywhere at a decent lick you really have to wring the c*"p out of it.

If you have no previous experience of M3's then you may well be fine.

Everyone bangs on about the 'soundtrack of the V8', personally I don't think it comes close to a N/A Merc AMG V8.

Ever considerd a C63?


You say all that then mention the C63 what what what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZExdTHHjY


And your point is?

I've just watched that and it reinforced everything I said above, lost count of how many times Clarkson used the word 'boring'.


That clip is missing the end, when clarkson drives it !!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Geordie_RS
Newbie


Joined: 10 Feb 2018
Posts: 19
Location: North East


PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.
_________________
997.1 GT3 RS
981 Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Last edited by Geordie_RS on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Geordie_RS
Newbie


Joined: 10 Feb 2018
Posts: 19
Location: North East


PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for about 18 months, previous to that a CSL for 6 years. The E92 was never intended as a replacement for the CSL, there was a bit of a gap between each and the e92 was bought as a daily.

Saying that the e92 felt very heavy compared to the e46. Completely different driving experience. More of a muscle car compared to sports car.

The engine was the centre of attention, mine had a 4 pipe mod to the exhaust and sounded heavenly. 18 mpg as said was about average.

Mine was a run our model frozen silver edition, basically a competition pack with some extra trinkets. Carbon interior, alcantara steering wheel from the GTS the main ones. If I was buying again I would look for a late model comp pack. The frozen silver looked great but was a complete nightmare to keep looking good.

All in it was a cheap car to own I bought for 33k and sold for 32.5k. Obviously petrol being the main cost.

I would love another. I miss the V8.
_________________
997.1 GT3 RS
981 Cayman GT4 Clubsport
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5097
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as a daily. Really enjoy it, 2 pipe mod just right for me , slightly lowered. Im a massive manual fan but i have the DCT and it suits the V8 wonderfully. Car has a load of character and is quick. 8400 in a V8 is quite a thing...end of the summer last year i ditched the conti for super sports which also seem to suit the car.

Base stereo is common and poor but there is an Alpine kit thats less than 400quid which brings it up to reasonable standard. I think EDC is a very nice option for daily unless you want to start modding...mpg is 21/22 ish mixed driving.

Had mine just over a year and prices seem to be holding up reasonably well.

E46 is a different thing and ive had a couple of those, it certainly wasnt a torque monster.. If you want a faiirly modern V8 sports coupe for reasonable money it has to be E92. Or even the four door.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ColinC
Österreich


Joined: 16 May 2013
Posts: 955
Location: Sunny Central Scotland


PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:
ColinC wrote:
Nope - me too - owned E30, E36, E46 & E46 CSL which I traded in against an E92. Had ago in a M2 last year and didn't remind me of an E30 M3 at all - could just be my age!

I parked beside a 991 last year in the 993 and both owners were laughing at the differences in the two models - both for very different reasons I must add......


Hey Colin, I'm glad its not just me. I think you've saved me pursuing the M2 idea too Thumb

Many people say the E30 was the 'greatest' M3, but in the 3-4 months I had it I just remember thinking that it didn't feel quick enough. The pick of the lineage for me is the E36evo. What a car that was, sublime chassis, not much in the way of driver aids, that engine.

The E46 had it for me in the looks department which is probably why I went back time and again to get another one. I actually preferred the SMG II box for track use, but round town it took a bit of getting used to.

The last E46 I had was silver with SMG. It ended up bent in half around a lamp post after I tried (and failed) to do a Chris Harris around a bend on a wet road, thinking I could modulate the throttle like I could in the dry... That was embarrassing Embarassed

@Marty - No probs dude, just giving my opinion so you get a balanced view Thumb


The balance of the E30 was a revelation for me coming from Fast Fords but your right it was under powered , especially compared to Cosworths and Impreza of the era.

I did over 60,000 miles in two years in the S50 engine - not a hint of trouble but in the end the high mileage became prohibitive.

For me the E46 CSL is the best variant, even with the SMG box - really came to life when pushing on. Only ran it for 10 months and will always regret selling....

Apologies Marty - good luck with the search. M5 E61 would be my choice.....
_________________
94 993 C2 - Black with Marble Grey Leather
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
The return of Marty Wild
Österreich


Joined: 04 Nov 2016
Posts: 990



PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
I have one as a daily. Really enjoy it, 2 pipe mod just right for me , slightly lowered. Im a massive manual fan but i have the DCT and it suits the V8 wonderfully. Car has a load of character and is quick. 8400 in a V8 is quite a thing...end of the summer last year i ditched the conti for super sports which also seem to suit the car.

Base stereo is common and poor but there is an Alpine kit thats less than 400quid which brings it up to reasonable standard. I think EDC is a very nice option for daily unless you want to start modding...mpg is 21/22 ish mixed driving.

Had mine just over a year and prices seem to be holding up reasonably well.

E46 is a different thing and ive had a couple of those, it certainly wasnt a torque monster.. If you want a faiirly modern V8 sports coupe for reasonable money it has to be E92. Or even the four door.


Thanks for the input, Senoj.

@ Colin - No worries, glad to absorb any info that I can on the matter.
_________________
Life's too short for cr4ppy cars, keep it German!

Cayman S 987.1
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum