Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 14
997 : 2004- 79
996 : 1997-2005 46
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 18
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

C4-STORM
Montreal

2004 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Flappy Paddle Mod Reply with quote

Half way there!

Manual steering wheel Thumb
AMG Paddle Switches Thumb
Fitment Question
Retrim Question
2004 C4S Coupe 3.6 Tiptronic S ~ Basalt Black ~ Black Crested Sports Seats ~ Alcantara ~ S/R Delete ~ WEVO Engine Mounts ~ K&N Induction Filter ~ DesignTek Sports Exhausts ~ Quad Tips ~ RUF Hubcentrics ~ RUF Sports Springs ~ Paddle Shift Steering Upgrade

911tom
Kyalami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best mods you can do on a tip. Completely changed the way I drove mine. Thumb
350Bhp astra van for work Surprised

HSC911
Reims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Flappy Paddle Mod Reply with quote

C4-STORM wrote:

Fitment Question
Retrim Question

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=97582&highlight=flappy+paddle

All part of the service Grin

Thumb

Jay.
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911tom wrote:
One of the best mods you can do on a tip. Completely changed the way I drove mine. Thumb

I agree! I actually prefer driving it most of the time to a manual!

(takes cover)

Seal Grey
Motec 19" Alloys
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z

RB25DET
Devil Z

Follow me on Instagram! @rb.240z

C4-STORM
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Flappy Paddle Mod Reply with quote

HSC911 wrote:
C4-STORM wrote:

Fitment Question
Retrim Question

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=97582&highlight=flappy+paddle

All part of the service Grin

Thumb

Thanks guys can't wait..

Cheers Jin for the wheel, managed to grab a set of shifters from eBay yesterday BNIB and same part number as that brilliant thread above which I will use for my DIY conversion.

Just waiting for Royal Steering Wheels to come back to me for the (optional) retrim in black alcantara top/bottom with black perforated leather sides, silver stitching and a centre band either silver or red.. Grin

Not sure what that will set me back but I appreciate all your help in gathering basic components and the guy on eBay who accepted my offer on his shifters.. Grin

Let's hope I don't feck it up eh!
2004 C4S Coupe 3.6 Tiptronic S ~ Basalt Black ~ Black Crested Sports Seats ~ Alcantara ~ S/R Delete ~ WEVO Engine Mounts ~ K&N Induction Filter ~ DesignTek Sports Exhausts ~ Quad Tips ~ RUF Hubcentrics ~ RUF Sports Springs ~ Paddle Shift Steering Upgrade

MrB
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911tom wrote:

Hey Tom,

Can I ask who did your re-wiring of your paddle wheel on your Turbo?

I believe I've seen you at MK meet once, so hoping you have a local company to us (fellow Bucks owner) that undertook the work that I can use for mine.

I have the wheel all re-trimmed and paddles installed... just need a good auto electrician to work their magic in connecting it all up.

So recommendations would be ace.

Thanks

Mr B

C4-STORM
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrB wrote:
911tom wrote:

Hey Tom,

I believe I've seen you at MK meet once, so hoping you have a local company to us (fellow Bucks owner) that undertook the work that I can use for mine.

I have the wheel all re-trimmed and paddles installed... just need a good auto electrician to work their magic in connecting it all up.

Thanks

Mr B

Got any pics of yours bud Thumb

MrB
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4-STORM wrote:

Got any pics of yours bud Thumb

Hi C4-STORM

The wheel, sadly not... it's sitting in my garage, but when I am next over there I'll get a few pics. I have extended black leather interior on my Forest Green Turbo, so opted for a alcantara trim (that matches the roof lining) and has a red 12'o'Clock marker to match the brake callipers.

Genuinely can't wait to have it fitted, hence keen to hear Tom's response! Smile

Mr B

Jay.
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrB wrote:
911tom wrote:

Hey Tom,

Thanks

Mr B

You dont need to get a company to do the electrics if you have a bit of DIY skill:

The wiring is very simple - just figure out which wire is for the "up" shift and which wire is for the "down" shift (these are connected to the switches on your current wheel so fairly obvious)

Then just strip the wire, put a new connector on, and then attach it to your new switch!

If that does seem too much, then be assured that any professional should be able to figure it out easily enough.

The hardest bit is aligning the new paddles to look and feel as comfortable as possible, as you'll need to cut away foam (and some metal)

Seal Grey
Motec 19" Alloys
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z

RB25DET
Devil Z

Jay.
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my install, forgive the crappy photo but I was quite excited!

I'll get a better "classy" shot at some point

Seal Grey
Motec 19" Alloys
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z

RB25DET
Devil Z

911tom
Kyalami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrB wrote:
911tom wrote:

Hey Tom,

Thanks

Mr B

I got the whole job done by edition 9. Thing is mine was done 5 years ago. At that time it was a new mod and no one New what parts were being used! As such I did not need to wire mine but as it happens I am an electrician so if you need a hand I’m happy to help. thumbsup
350Bhp astra van for work Surprised

C4-STORM
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay. wrote:

Are the shifters easy enough to reach? I have a DCT daily driver and the shape of the paddle is a similar blade but with a pad part sticking out and very ergonomic to the fingers

MrB
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay. wrote:

Thanks Jay!

MrB
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911tom wrote:
MrB wrote:
911tom wrote:

I got the whole job done by edition 9. Thing is mine was done 5 years ago. At that time it was a new mod and no one New what parts were being used! As such I did not need to wire mine but as it happens I am an electrician so if you need a hand I’m happy to help. thumbsup

Hi Tom,

That is immensely kind of you and an offer I will most likely take you up on as in truth... wiring scare the hell out of me! The wheel needs fitting, but all the paddles are in situ and fitted... just the clever wiring bit remains! Sadly the Turbo is off shortly to have its spoiler rams replaced so once thats back lets reconvene.

Best wishes Mr B (Nath)

Jay.
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4-STORM wrote:
Jay. wrote:

Are the shifters easy enough to reach? I have a DCT daily driver and the shape of the paddle is a similar blade but with a pad part sticking out and very ergonomic to the fingers

Yep fairly easy - I was initially going to buy some extenders, but I don't need them. Fingers sit within easy distance of them, and the only issue I have is when I have turned the wheel 180 and need to shift from 1st to 2nd

Seal Grey
Motec 19" Alloys
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z

RB25DET
Devil Z

GMG
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...which is why buttons on the steering wheel work so well...always accessible...I was seriously thinking about completing this mod however two things stopped me; I like to maintain originality thus won't make changes to standard and really don't think,aside from the aesthetic, the paddles add much over the tip' buttons?

Each to their own...

Jay.
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMG wrote:
...which is why buttons on the steering wheel work so well...always accessible...I was seriously thinking about completing this mod however two things stopped me; I like to maintain originality thus won't make changes to standard and really don't think,aside from the aesthetic, the paddles add much over the tip' buttons?

Each to their own...

There's nothing to stop you keeping the buttons AND installing the paddles.

The buttons are no easier to press when mid-turn, in fact I'd say it's harder as you need to try and rock the button the correct way (which on a 180 wheel turn will be the wrong way round - e.g. up for a downshift).

This problem is literally only when setting off from a standstill in 1st out of a T junction.. I've gotten used to it, I just shift a little early (or late Cool ) and that's that.

Seal Grey
Motec 19" Alloys
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z

RB25DET
Devil Z

GMG
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, paddles and buttons, now there's a thought! Best of both worlds perhaps and if I installed black paddles it won't look too out of keeping?

C4-STORM
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have opted to fit the paddles to a manual wheel which will take the airbag and centre cover from the standard tiptronic wheel.

I can therefore change the steering wheels back as required and it also means I am not butchering the original steering wheel - also easier for sending off for a retrim, swapping over etc.

Incidentally switches arrived yesterday and I spent several hours ( Embarassed ) last night hacking copious amounts of rubber shavings out of the back of the wheel which contrary to what anyone says - Is not an easy task!!

It also felt wrong.

But the cut-outs are centralised and symmetrical. It is tricky as there is very little room for error.

What does not really get mentioned is that the Merc switches have a flanged piece of alu which is the external surround of the paddle shifter.

The profile of this being too convex is not a good fit for the lesser curved shape of the back of the steering wheel..

I have now noticed that some people have cut slots for the lead and rear edges of the surround to sink into.

I don't want to do this as I have a perfect cut each side. Also I cut quite deep and therefore the surround flanged edges will hold the whole assy firmly in place - but the question is can you apply enough purchase with a screw from the inside to pull the whole shifter assembly in hard (without breaking/cracking/stripping the plastic) Confused

All of the above may not make any sense to anyone who hasn't attempted this for themselves Hand

Whilst I am posting I would also recommend a retrim after making cuts for several reasons - additional enhancement and too finish the wheel nicely as it could easily get damaged - luckily mine did not Thumb

C4-STORM
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Flappy Paddle Mod Reply with quote

C4-STORM wrote:
Half way there!

Manual steering wheel Thumb
AMG Paddle Switches Thumb
Fitment Thumb
Retrim Thumb

Finally finished this, and it works! (After I put everything back together without fixing the grounds ) frustrated

The paddles are a bstd to fit but I have achieved a professional/OE finish.

Big thanks to HSC911 and Jack from Royal thumbsup

Couple of before and after pics, this mod is well worth a try but be careful with blades, soldering etc.. etc.. Cool

9D8DE8FD-08AA-4286-9E68-174F472ABD6E.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.14 MB
 Viewed:  946 Time(s)

9D8DE8FD-08AA-4286-9E68-174F472ABD6E.jpeg

27D98D74-5023-4DEC-BA77-110D751B461C.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.29 MB
 Viewed:  946 Time(s)

27D98D74-5023-4DEC-BA77-110D751B461C.jpeg

983FC25C-D8F9-4C5C-9016-955A6A590875.jpeg
 Description: