Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMW M5 E60 (V10)

BenB91

Anyone had one? What was your experience?

I have had a couple epic , but totally different to a 911
:thumb:

Ive had one.

Big, quick, well equipped and with an exhaust mod one of the best sounds on the road

It's a very good car, sadly let down by the worlds worst gearbox.

How was reliability for you guys?

I have a M6 with the same 507 bhp engine. With the exhaust mod it sounds awesome. I bough it in Nov 17.

Bad bits

The bits that need to be done are:

1. con rods (been done) - advise you budget to get this done (go to CPC - very good)

2. Vanos line (can be done at same time as conrods).

3. Vanos pump done as recall, I think

3. SMG pump can fail. But not very often

4. Very heavy fuel consumption between 10mpg in town and 26mpg on 65mp

Great bits

- amazing F1 derived BMW Williams V10

- great sound

- best seats ever

- can do 0-60 in 4.4 (M6) 4.5 (M5) and delimited can do 207 mph

- BMW and every other manufacturer will never do another natural aspirated V10 engine - due to EU regs

- A truekly great GT car

I have the M6 as its a bit quicker and cooler than a M5

:D

So long as you do the preventative stuff with the engine and it has a fantastic service record with correct 10w - 60 oil. You shouldn't go far wrong. Everycar has it weaknesses.

P911X50 said:
I have a M6 with the same 507 bhp engine. With the exhaust mod it sounds awesome. I bough it in Nov 17.

Bad bits

The bits that need to be done are:

1. con rods (been done) - advise you budget to get this done (go to CPC - very good)

2. Vanos line (can be done at same time as conrods).

3. Vanos pump done as recall, I think

3. SMG pump can fail. But not very often

4. Very heavy fuel consumption between 10mpg in town and 26mpg on 65mp

Great bits

- amazing F1 derived BMW Williams V10

- great sound

- best seats ever

- can do 0-60 in 4.4 (M6) 4.5 (M5) and delimited can do 207 mph

- BMW and every other manufacturer will never do another natural aspirated V10 engine - due to EU regs

- A truekly great GT car

I have the M6 as its a bit quicker and cooler than a M5

:D

So long as you do the preventative stuff with the engine and it has a fantastic service record with correct 10w - 60 oil. You shouldn't go far wrong. Everycar has it weaknesses.

Thanks for the info. Rough price for those bits please?

M5

Had the same engine and gearbox in my M6, sold at 165k Miles, bought as an ex demo with just 3k on the clock. Mostly motorway driving but also several track days.

Pretty reliable, Vanos fixed in Warranty period around 50k, clutch replaced at c.95k c.£3k and an alternator pulley replaced. Otherwise pretty standard wear / mileage consumables.

Eisenmann exhaust on a v10 made every trip an epic experience. Hair on the back of neck tingling sound. That is the one thing missing from either of my 911s.

Re: M5

B19TOY said:
Had the same engine and gearbox in my M6, sold at 165k Miles, bought as an ex demo with just 3k on the clock. Mostly motorway driving but also several track days.

Pretty reliable, Vanos fixed in Warranty period around 50k, clutch replaced at c.95k c.£3k and an alternator pulley replaced. Otherwise pretty standard wear / mileage consumables.

Eisenmann exhaust on a v10 made every trip an epic experience. Hair on the back of neck tingling sound. That is the one thing missing from either of my 911s.

Agree the noise is incredible, really is like the previous F1 cars !!

Yep, that V10 sound is absolutely sublime. Just been watching some videos of them! Engines like that never to be made again with new regs now.

I love the E60 M5! I've never owned one, but it's still a huge itch I'm dying to scratch! That noise though!!😎😍 And how many off the shelf factory saloon cars that will outpace most supercars to speeds above 200mph?! In my eyes a Masterpeice! A true end of an era price of engineering never to be repeated due to red tape and emissions.

ragpicker said:
I still have a hankering for the V10 M6. I would love to have one as a daily for a while just to live with that engine..

Trouble is where does it stop? I've already got a few cars and a list as long as your arm of ones like this which I'd love to have :pc:

I agree, I reallylike them too, a great piece of engineering. I don't know where it stops either.

MC

I agree with the sentiment on this thread. Epic cars.
My old boss bought one new in '07 ish. It was something else.

I'd love a Touring version. Only worry I have is that whilst the owners reports above are good (although conrods sound like a big job), when you read other websites, people make out that you'd have to be a mad man to run one that's out of warranty.

I hope I get to scratch the itch one day. I may just settle for an RS4 Avant though. 4.2 V8. Although they aren't a patch on an M5 and aren't without their own issues, such as coking heads.

Anyway as I've said before we are living through the golden era of the motor car. Enjoy it and sample what you can. I just need my numbers to come up tonight so I can buy that Carrera GT. :grin:

Hey, you doctors are always on the scrounge. :grin:

I'll leave a CGT at Jamie's as the courtesy car. Do you think our man can rebuild the box if it goes wrong. :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back