Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 81
996 : 1997-2005 50
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 19
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: ACCIDENT: car ruined + insurance / claim questions Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am a porsche driver (911 turbo) but last night I was out in my other car (Merc C43 AMG) and got into a nasty accident.

A car has driven into me as I was pulling into a side road. The impact was pretty severe and the side of the car is completely mangled. The rear passenger's wheel has received the majority of the impact and is completely dislodged, broken wishbone (at least) probably twisted chassis. It is a soft top and the safety bars have come up and dislocated the soft top, two passenger side airbags deployed.

Luckily neither I, the passenger nor the driver of the other car were hurt.

I have never been in this siutation before, and hope to get a bit of advice on this forum:

1) I have a comprehensive insurance, and gap insurance from Mercedes. The car is on a PCP contract.

If the car is written off (which I think it will be) how do I ensure that I get a replacement up to the original value of the car? My concern is that my GAP insurance has a clause which says:

"For a car that's purchased using a finance agreement, it makes up any shortfall between the total loss settlement (by motor insurer) and the greater of the outstanding finance settlement on your car or the price you paid for it"

I may be wrong, but to me that sounds like they would only pay out if the outstanding balance on the finance agreement is more than what the insurance company is willing to pay, which it is unlikely to be, given there was a large up front payment as a part of the PCP deal. This means the total payout from both my insurer and gap isnurer likely won't add up to the original value of the car?

2) There is a confussion with approved repairers. Mercedes Benz are recommending an approved repairer but say it is up to me where the car goes, but they would only guarantee the repair if it was an approved one.

My insurance company seem to be flexible.

My question is: To me the car looks extensively damaged, so much so, that I would rather it was written off the road. Not sure a repair would be a good idea, however if the car is sent to an approved repairer, surely it would be in their interest to declare the car as fixable as if it is written off the road, they get no work out of it?

Would it therefore, be beneficial to take it to a more trusted garage, where I know they'll carry out a fair assessment with more probability of it being written off, allowing for my gap insurance to be activated?

Thanks,
k3

alex yates
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your insurance company who'll decide if it's a write-off or not, not the approved repairer. All they can do is put in a quote for how much it will cost to fix it. Your insurance company will then decide what to do.

Sun's out Gun's out.

Magic919
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think you are correctly understanding the PCP wording. If it’s as you have written, you’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t get too hung up about the repairer if you are convinced it’ll be written off. If it’s a bit marginal, an approved repairer could start fixing it and then go back for more money as they find more damage. A Mercedes approved repairer would be my choice in your shoes.

mzmini
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were my car it would have to be an approved Mercedes workshop and as has been said the insurance company will decide on the write off on a percentage basis value of the vehicle against cost of repair Thumb
2012 VW Polo

1964 1071 Cooper S
1964 1071 Cooper S 1991 Pirelli Classic winner
1971 1275 Cooper S as new time warp
1996 106 Peugeot van (pride of the fleet)

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Photos, age and mileage would help but it sounds like it may be heading towards a write off, especially if the Chassis is damaged, number of panels damaged etc.

Our Beemer got written off in November just gone - someone drove into it whilst it was parked Rolling Eyes I would’ve specified BMW repairs if it was repairable but the number of panels hit, lower suspension arm and front wheel meant that it was a write off. That was our workhorse daily driver though.

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car is just over one year old from new. 3 panels damaged: passenger door, passenger rear panel and a bit of the rear bumper. The biggest bit of damage is on the rear wheel which is completely dislodged and broken off along with all the suspension and possibly the wishbone. Whether the chassis is damaged or not remains to be seen.

I think the deciding factor over whether it is a write off will depend on what they value the car at. Originally purchased for 42k as an approved used ex demo, just under 10k saving off list price, looking of approved used c43s they are still going for 43-50k.

Even with all the damage I can't imagine the repair being more than 15-20k so it is going to be borderline.

The biggest concern is if it's sent to a generic Mercedes approved 3rd party garage, surely it won't be in their interest to write it off and they'll want to try and repair as that's how they make the money...

alex yates
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with them. They're not going to undercut themselves to prevent the car getting written off are they? They'll price the job what they'd normally charge and the insurance company will make a decision.

Sun's out Gun's out.

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurers use different benchmarks however the few I’ve spoken with recently estimate circa 40% so that ballpark figure quoted would mean it’s a right off.

Don’t forget that the Dealers know it’s an insurance job so they usually inflate / do everything rather than try to undercut the prices!

In the end, it’s out of your hands so try not to worry about it. I know that’s hard but concentrate on the bits that you can do. Find examples of your car to justify the price you should get for it... work out whether you’d want to buy it back....

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I do if i bought it back ?

alex yates
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either sell it on or have it fixed for a lower cost but it would still be a category write off.

Sun's out Gun's out.

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3bab wrote:

As Alex has said, it would be marked down on the Log Book / DVLA as an N or S (old category C and D). These stand for structural and non-structural. N.B. The old Cat A and B still stand too for scrap and for breaking.

For me, if I knew the car AND I was going to keep it for a few years AND I was happy that the repairs were good, then I'd be willing to keep the car IF the insurance paid for the difference of what I would be able to sell the car for (with category vs normal no category). You get into difficult estimating territory here but you can probably go with -20% for any cat D (new Cat N) cars.

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerbyJim wrote:
k3bab wrote:

As Alex has said, it would be marked down on the Log Book / DVLA as an N or S (old category C and D). These stand for structural and non-structural. N.B. The old Cat A and B still stand too for scrap and for breaking.

For me, if I knew the car AND I was going to keep it for a few years AND I was happy that the repairs were good, then I'd be willing to keep the car IF the insurance paid for the difference of what I would be able to sell the car for (with category vs normal no category). You get into difficult estimating territory here but you can probably go with -20% for any cat D (new Cat N) cars.

So this would work out in the following way:

Car is written off for 30k (original value 42 k)
Gap insurance pays the shortfall
I am able to settle the finance on PCP
As I've already paid 6k initial payment and a years worth of finance there should be money left over for me to start again on PCP if I wanted to?

Or if I was given an option to buy the wreck back I would end up with the car and I would receive whatever is left over after settling the PCP, I could put that towards the repair and once repaired, effectively end up with the repaired car off the PCP plan with no balloon payment at the end ?

alex yates
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err.....option 2: you'd need the money to buy the car. I'm presuming once the pcp amount is settled out the insurance pay out, you may not have enough to buy the car and repair it. Wouldn't the balloon payment also need paying from the pay out? Dont know

Sun's out Gun's out.

Magic919
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d forget about buying the salvage, it’s not worth the hassle and expense.

Stuart Mackay
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/what-not-to-do-if-you-crash-a-porsche-in-france/ar-BBIUdpJ?ocid=ob-fb-engb-57

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Update on the situation. Looks like they'll be doing a repair.

Repair has been valued at 20k, and the insurance company has apparently authorised a repair of up to 28k.

Bit surprised as 28k is more than 60% of the original cost of the car (42k).

They are apparently still doing some checks to see if any further damage is found, but doubtful they will discover a further 8k's worth of damage!

Not the best outcome, but life goes on!

Cheers,
K3

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you entitled to a hire car whilst its being repaired. Usually thats of the same standard as the insured car and can often be the deciding factor as to whether the car will be written off or not ie its the total cost including this thats considered. Sounds like your insurance does not cover that.

If not and it was clearly the other parties fault as you have implied then I would go and see a legal professional as they will claim the cost of a replacement temp car for you.

This will affect your future insurance costs even if none fault. The MID will record the total cost of the claim against you even when none fault Rolling Eyes
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

alex yates
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3bab wrote:

Not the best outcome, but life goes on!

Cheers,
K3

Sounds like the best outcome to me. Seriously, you'd have got seriously stung if they'd written it off.

Sun's out Gun's out.

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance policy did not include a hire car however I understand the repair company provides a courtesy car.

I actually think I will be stung more if the car is repaired since there is a fairly large excess on the policy and my gap insurance would have covered a part of it if it was written off (as well as making up the difference between the balance owed and the original cost of the car)

Magic919
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear. Hope they can at least sort it quickly and repair to your satisfaction.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: