Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What a shambles... cautionary tale when driving abroad

peterzoom

Spa-Francorchamps
What an absolute minefield. :nooo:

Certainly will be at the back of my mind when next driving in France, or indeed, in any European country.

Scary story. Does make one think, given the tours I've done in far flung places. Foreign countries suddenly become very alien indeed when things go wrong and you can't speak the lingo.

Nonetheless, not a bad result in the end, but sad one less 4S.

He's very lucky the Insurance company didn't quiz him about taking passengers in the back with no rear seats.

This sort of thing makes me more and more interested in getting a dash cam!

I know a guy who was sitting in his parked car having lunch when a car coming the other way drifted onto the wrong side and drove into his car. The other driver was really apologetic and (verbally) admitted full liability. I think you can guess what is coming... no witnesses and the other driver claimed my friend drove into him.

No witnesses... one word against the other... 50/50.

A very messy business that could have been a lot worse, we are all vulnerable when traveling abroad especially if you cant speak the language and don't know the rules.

On a positive note what can we learn from this?

Is there a translation of this form on the web or via motoring organisations, do any of them offer a help line to advise you on the spot?

Does the form have to be completed there and then? What if driver/s are injured and not capable of filling out forms?

Doubtless someone will be along soon more experienced in these matters, I hope so as my son wants to do his first Euro trip this summer and its not the sort of thing young people think about, mind you they have a knack of using smart phone tech to help them.

Also, +one for dash cams I think we will all end up with them purely for defence reasons, plus a load more you tube accident vids.

Oh dear...

This struck home a bit, particularly as I'm heading off to France in June.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/what-not-to-do-if-you-crash-a-porsche-in-france/ar-BBIUdpJ?li=AA9SkIr&ocid=spartanntp#image=BBIUdpJ_1|1

My Insurer sends me one of these when I order a Green Card. You can download one in English and keep it on your phone.

Don't sign anything you don't agree with and/or don't understand. Assume the other party is trying to stitch you up. Make sure the diagram is accurate.

I always have the dash cam on.

Download a crash form, post it up and I'll get my French wife to translate it if you like, alternatively you are welcome just to take her with you !

asterix_the_gaul said:
Download a crash form, post it up and I'll get my French wife to translate it if you like, alternatively you are welcome just to take her with you !

Pics of French wife..

sim996 said:
asterix_the_gaul said:

Pics of French wife..

:popcorn:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back