Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which battery booster pack?

AlanPM

Silverstone
Hi guys, just decided to pick up a booster pack. There are sooooo many options, I am thinking 800-1000A and 18000 MaH probably advisable but any positive personal pointers for a good product greatfully received.

We have one of the Energizer Lithium-Polymer car jump starters.

Small enough to keep in the glove box but still starts a car easily, I was sceptical at first but have to admit very impressed.

be careful, booster type starters can blow ecu's then the dash becomes a Christmas tree :sad: .
get yourself a new battery and trickle charger/maintenance unit, it's a far safer bet :thumb:

I have an Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start XP-10. It's a cracking bit of kit!

With regards to blowing ecu's and triggering dash lights etc, generally it shouldn't be a problem if the apparatus is connected properly (not all have the reverse polarity protection so if you're fumbling in the dark and get it wrong, you could do damage).

Since this is in the 996 section I would also highlight that on the 996 you must not jump start the car by connecting directly to the battery - you should use the + terminal and an earth in the engine bay. And on pretty much any car you shouldn't just connect to the + and - of the battery, you should really use a proper earth on the vehicle.

Is it possible to use a trickle charger/ battery conditioner via the cigarette lighter?

Cybot7 said:
Is it possible to use a trickle charger/ battery conditioner via the cigarette lighter?
some cars yes others, no
a quick check, is to see if the cigarette lighter still works with the engine off and keys out.
If it does then you can trickle charge through it, however (just to throw a spanner in the works) some of the newer 911's have a timer on the cigarette lighter socket, so check after an hour parked up if it's live yo are good to charge :thumb:

Thanks for the input. I do already use the CTEK charger for the Porsche, it was more a general question re booster starters as missus just let daughter watch a DVD in the Volvo, lights and all, then wondered when it wouldn't start later !,! :?:

Another vote for the Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start XP-10. Great piece of kit.

I've connected a spare battery directly to a flat one and not noticed any horrible effects.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back