Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Helmet for Ring Trip: Simpson Diamondback or Similar......

michelin

Indianapolis
I'll hopefully be going to the ring in May so I'm going to wear a helmet just in case.
I like the Simpson variant but its nearly £700! Does anybody know of other companies who make helmets that are similar in looks whilst also complying with the relevant safety legislation?
:thumb:

All I'll say is don't buy a motorbike helmet. You'll end up sweating like a Bangkok chicken as motorbike helmets are designed to ventilate by air moving across it at speed

:worship: :thumb:

I bought an HJC IS-17 just after Christmas, it`s a nice compact lid, unlike some of the other makes :grin: which is something to bear in mind of you`re buying online and not trying it on first :thumb:

I had to buy a full face as I took the Boxster on track but would use an open face in the 911 to be honest :D

Of course the white one was £150 and the other colours were on offer @ £110 :sad:

This particular model has a flip down sun visor inside so you don`t have to struggle with putting on sunglasses @ 150mph :thumb:

J3BdNne.jpg

Thanks bud for the info.
Bandit and Matrix make helmets similar to the Diamondback but I think they are motorcycle helmets...........

Just had a look at the Simpson Diamondback, that looks huge to me with a big pointy chin and rear flip bit by the neck, would have been unuseable in the tiny Boxster cabin :nooo:

If I were you, given your location, I`d pop down to Demon Tweeks and try some on to see what they feel like. When I saw and tried on some Bell and Arai and the likes they were massive on the outside :grin:

Good advice, thank you! I'll nip to DT and have a look.

I like the Porsche decal on your lid. Where did you get it from please?

kurlykris said:
I bought an HJC IS-17 just after Christmas, it`s a nice compact lid, unlike some of the other makes :grin: which is something to bear in mind of you`re buying online and not trying it on first :thumb:

I had to buy a full face as I took the Boxster on track but would use an open face in the 911 to be honest :D

Of course the white one was £150 and the other colours were on offer @ £110 :sad:

This particular model has a flip down sun visor inside so you don`t have to struggle with putting on sunglasses @ 150mph :thumb:

J3BdNne.jpg
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Simpson Diamondback isn't recommending for track driving as it's more of a drag racing helmet.

Per the good advice given got to Demon tweaks and get a feel of the helmet that suits you.

I have a Schuberth and a Pyrotect helmet
And rated Snell SA 2005 and 2010

Thank you guys for the invaluable information. Appreciated. :thumb:

It was actually a brake caliper decal bought in error from ebay, I bought black instead of white DOH !

I made some others up myself just to personalise the lid a little and hide the ugly visor mechanism :grin:

g2x527b.jpg

I've just had a look at the Simpson Ghost Bandit, newly released.
The reviews say its quite light and very well made.
A Demon Tweets visit is imminent!

Personally I favour an open face helmet for comfort (Bell Mag with HANS, makes a big difference to me - especially in glasses), though that isn't ideal if you were in a convertible and expect to lap with the roof down.

While some out there might think that it is cool to look like the Stig: fit and comfort are far, far more important than aesthetics. Get the mid-range lid that best suits the shape of your head has always been my advice. :thumb:

Hi Colin
Thanks for the advice.
I have the train of thought head protection so go for the best ie Simpson.
I'll have a look in Demon Tweeks and go from there.
Thanks to all for your contributions. :thumb:

I researched this a couple of years ago. don't use a bike helmet, not only will you cook but the linings are not generally fireproof, because, well you are not generally going to be trapped in the wreckage!
I ended up getting one from here
https://www.hedtec.co.uk/products/category/helmets/
Great quality and after several track days really happy with it.
I paid about £135 for the full face, delivered, and I feel the quality is just as good as helmets I have seen costing far more. Hedtec also have all the 'snell' and other standards that are required for some tracks.
Good luck with the search, and please let us know what you end up with.
Oh I will add, it's a good decision to have a helmet at the ring :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back