Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Garage Lift

Kingb4

Attachments

• s_l500_213.jpg
    s_l500_213.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 7,809
Hi Ben

I did look at these a couple of years back but ended up spending a little more and got one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-A-E-MI...910688?hash=item4675040de0:g:h5QAAOSwEK9T6ytT

It has been really good and had a fair bit of use. You are welcome to pop over at some point and take a look if you like.

Here's a few pics, sorry not great. I used to use photo bucket to host images but they no longer allow free hosting so I have lost most my photos.

36536241994_a5622b7210_k.jpg

I just leave the ramp where it is and park the car on it.

36536238134_d8ef24f241_z.jpg

Hi Tom,

That looks an amazing garage! (I wish mine looked like that).

I have seen the mid-rise lifts and may end up going that route. Was trying to save a few pennies, but suspect I would always regret it.

Would be great if I can pop over and take a look at some point. Do you have any issues with ground clearance (I didnt want to have to dig the garage floor).

Cheers
Ben

I think I responded to your comment on one of the FB groups?

We ended up going for a full lift as most of the work that would require a lift would be significantly easier at a higher position. It's a bit more expensive, sure, but if you can fit it in your garage then I think you'll really appreciate the extra investment - plus I'm sure they'll be easy to sell on when you no longer need one (as if!).

That lift (and garage) looks awesome Tom.

Didn't realise that my pictures were too big and unable to be uploaded as an attachment.

I'll try again:

IzJU8pn.jpg

w11zvMf.jpg

As you can see, it gives plenty of clearance and it's very stable.

The rollers are quite small and damaged the floor to begin with, but putting down some "high quality" :roll: carpet has stopped that.

http://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7630-mobile-scissor-lift/

Thanks for the comments on my garage. Those photos are a bit old, it has come on a bit since then. It is now bigger so I can fit both toys in there. The floor needs a good clean too! Ben let me know if you heading toward Aylesbury at any point, my 996 is on the ramp so you will see how it works. With regard to clearance you can probably make out I have some aluminium ramps as yes there is not enough clearance. I would have preferred to submerge it in to the floor but the ramp was an after thought and I had already laid the flooring and fitted the LEDs in the floor.

Jay. said:
We ended up going for a full lift as most of the work that would require a lift would be significantly easier at a higher position. It's a bit more expensive, sure, but if you can fit it in your garage then I think you'll really appreciate the extra investment - plus I'm sure they'll be easy to sell on when you no longer need one (as if!).

A two poster would be my preferred choice as it gives extra heigh and is less intrusive when working under the car. I have not got the height or the width in my garage unfortunately. I originally set out to find a used mid-rise but they do really hold their money so I ended up buying new in the knowledge I could sell it and not loose too much.

You guys are making me envious, I guess you just have to be careful not to go to high or you could have an expensive lesson lol.

Jay - Thanks for the photos. I did look at that type of lift, as they are a bit cheaper (£1000) versus the mid-rise ramp (c£1600). I wondered whether the lack of centre access was a problem?

PS I havent been on any facebook groups........

Tom - I will message you to arrange to pop over once I have collected my car (I dont get it till this weekend)......

Kingb4 said:
Jay - Thanks for the photos. I did look at that type of lift, as they are a bit cheaper (£1000) versus the mid-rise ramp (c£1600). I wondered whether the lack of centre access was a problem?

PS I havent been on any facebook groups........

Tom - I will message you to arrange to pop over once I have collected my car (I dont get it till this weekend)......

No issues with any centre access, but I've not tried to drop an engine/gearbox/etc

Here's a messy example of the access:

Rvp0EOw.jpg

Thanks for the photo, the access looks a lot better than I thought (although yours is one of the better ones, as it doesnt have cross bars at the end of the frame, that would really hamper access (lots I saw were arectangular platfrom, rather than the 'H' yours appears to be).

Well I bit the bullet this afternoon.......Have ordered a Dunlop DTSL3FR (Low rise scissor lift, similar to the automech one that you have Tom). It was such a good price I couldnt turn it down (or thats what I am telling my wife).......

Now just need to tidy the garage, so I can get decent access round the car, once its on the lift.

Nice work Ben! Just make sure the courier knows you do not have a forklift at home to offload it from the lorry. I don't know you but I would assume you do not have a forklift kicking about. I'd put money on the courier turning up with no way of getting it off their vehicle. :frustrated:

What a week you have ahead of you! Best get the missus the Tesco finest flowers for valentines this year :thumb:

EGTE said:
These look great, but I have found something that could be almost as good, for a lot less:

https://safejacks.com/products/the-rennstand-by-safe-jack

I really like the look of these and am strongly tempted to get 2 2-packs. Anyone got any reservations about them?

They look great but $500 for 4 + post and import duty...... but they sure make getting one of our cars in the air properly for all wheels off much easier

Tom - you are correct, I dont have a forklift (but would do, given half a chance). I have paid for them to install it, so I dont have to worry about moving it (it weighs 750kg) - have read lots of pistonhead threads, where people mention the delivery nightmare and struggling to get the pallet out from underneath etc.....

EGTE - they do look good (sort of posh jack stands). My only reservations would be max lift height (18.5 inches - 45cm), which is roughly what my trolley jack gets me, so would still be cramped working under the car.
Also, you would have to go round to each jack point with the trolley jack. Realise thats a 'first-world problem'.......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back