Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ignition coils - any preference? (996.2 3.6)

Gooey36

Monza
Got the rear end currently stripping and replacing all the exhaust (manifolds, cats and backboxes) and have currently got all heatshields off (as they're being replaced too!)

While access is good I noticed one or two coilpacks have cracked most likely due to parts of the old coilpack heatshields rotting away.

Does anyone have a preference for which coilpacks? ECP stock both bremi and beru parts (£35 & £57 respectively)? Also seen Surefire 'uprated" sets for £149...
(https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/122892335201)

Also awaiting a price from OPC. Design911 also stock OEM and Beru.

Any to avoid? Will the 'cheap" bremi ones be a case of you get what you pay for? (With the usual discount code it's only £106 for the set!)

Can anyone also shed any light on which need the longer screws?

Thanks!

[/code]

Well .. not really a thread i answer but no one else has :?

The new type of coil need longer bolts as they are twice the size and mainly the only one that can actually be bought these days .. its also the one we fit at work .

I looked at the link .. not something i would fit is all i can say .

Link shows what it looks like but its the first search i did and dont actually use this site .

https://www.cartech-one.co.uk/en/product/1116344-ignition-coil/v-17507

I paid £130 for 6 Bosch coil packs off CP4L 2.5 years/25k miles ago and they've been fine. Still look like new.

Seems to be CP4L and ECP (same company anyway) only sell Beru or Bremi now?

Will avoid the 'performance" standard unless anyone comes on and raves about them!!! In no rush so I'll wait to see what the OPC quote and go for a known brand like Bosch/Beru.

Longer screws appear to be m6x40mm. Should be m6x20 (ish) on the old ones.

Thanks!

Gooey36 said:
Scully said:
I've just bought these:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...OF-6--Porsche-996---986---987---996-GT3-MKII/

I have been led to believe that Beru are the original equipment manufacturer.

Cheers

Dave

Will see what OPC quote then...thanks for confirming. If they beat the design911 price, will go with them, if not - design911 as usual!

You didn't fancy the £850 plasma set from design911 then? 😂

Err no. I was in two minds anyway as mine aren't giving any trouble. But I've got a major coming up in March and they are the original coils, so what the heck. If I'm doing plugs, I might as well swap them out.

I've just had the Surefire ones fitted to my car. I didn't purposely choose them but they came up cheap from another member.

I wouldn't get too hung up on brand. As long as they're new they're bound to be an improvement on what you currently have and should last a good few years.

All much of a much and any will do.

Cheap to buy and cheap to replace which is why I am never worried about it. Same for the spark plugs just stick with Bosch. Standard car does not need all this fancy densu low temp unless a chipped turbo

All Porsche do is take the beru or Bosch stuff, stick their stamp on it and double the price.

Are these an easy diy job for a home mechanic or is it awkward access and engine out job ?

Sounds like good preventative maintenance to change them before they inevitably fail.

Turbo is a faff. The standard NA cars are easy, although some members seem to struggle with them. Takes me 45 minutes on the drive with no ramps, just an allen key.

Cheers Alex. I'll pick your brains at the meet up next Saturday :thumb:

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back